Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Little different. 1st Seniors, BC

moose101

Maple syrup, eh? Did you see the hockey game, eh? Eh,eh?..

Enough of those Canadian stereotypes, lets move on, eh?

On September 9, I attended a Battle Roads in Surrey BC at a mall about 5 minutes from my house. I ended up winning but the interesting part, in my opinion, is the deck that I used. When people first saw the deck, they thought that it would be too incosistent to function but I do not beleive one bit that that is true. But before I talk about the deck, I should mention the creator. an awesome Junior named Dorion who goes to the same league as me. His older brother Tony showed it to me and I was amazed at how good it was. I found it to be superior to my, more standard version of the deck. I adapted my list to almost the same as Dorion's except for a few cards.

THE DECK

Usually when people think of Darkrai Hydreigon, they think of Sabeleye, Sigilyph, etc. Even I thought this way because of lists you see online and general descriptions of the deck. This deck changed my thinking of a Hydreigon deck. It is built more like Klinklang than a "regular" build. This is thanks to Prism energy, making the inclusion of any EX or strong basic possible.

One of the best Exs for this would have to be Terrakion. He is a terriffic starter, KOing Tynamos, Eelektriks, and Dark Deinos Turn 2 and Darkrai turn 3. It turns your Zeels and Darkrai Hydreigon matchup greatly in your favor.

Another awesome tech is Mew EX. It helps with the mewtwo war and now can use any attack on the field. There are lots of possible ways this can benefit you, anything from a Junk Hunt to another mewtwo counter. There are tons of other possible techs to this as well, you can experiment with that yourself though.

Because of Terrakion, being such an awesome tech, I now call this deck Darkrai Hydreigon Terrakion.

I won't go too far into the deck but I will explain some Trainer/Supporter choices
First off, 10+ supporters, 2 Random Receivers. I think that this is the best amount of draw supporters to have to reduce dead draws and not decrease consistency.

4 Ultra Ball, 2 Max Potion. 4 Ultra Ball helps a lot with set up and with getting whatever EX you need to get the return KO. 2 Max Potions is enough, you just need good timing. You shouldn't just use max potion because you can. I save them for game changing situations (unless Juniper is the only supporter you have in hand...).

After testing the deck and tweaking it a bit, I was ready to use it at Battle Roads.
Here's my report.

We take the 2 min. drive to the mall (because of expected rain) and already there are over 70 people there, I register and there are 71 masters, 14 Seniors, and 12 Juniors.
Round 1 Andre w/ Wailord, Vanilluxe, Kyurem EX, and stuff.

I go Second. I just set up 2 Darkrais, usually the best choice against random decks because of its sniping ability. I 6-0 him.
1-0

Round 2 Jack w/ Bouffalant, Terrakion, Groudon EX, Mewtwo EX
Got paired down... I go second. I start lone mewtwo and get a Darkrai with energy on bench. He hits mewtwo with bouffalant and I get Hydreigon, energy and retreat to something. I was able to ust 1HKO his AfroBulls with Terrakion EX which is basically all he used to attack. I got down to 2 prizes and he has lone terrakion. He catchers mewtwo, plays mewtwo, DCE, KO. I ultra ball for Mew EX and Psydrive for the win.
2-0

Round 3 Erik w/Zekrom Eelektrik EXs
The other 2 X-0s are 2 competitive players and I get to play someone who I don't even know... I get a Terrakion start and go second. They attack with Thundurus. Due to my slow set up, I'm down his 2 to my 6 prizes. I KO some Ex and get down to 4. He hits my Darkrai. I retreat to another and hit some other EX. He whiffs on catcher for the win off of N and hits my active Darkrai. I get Max Potion and Juniper off of his N and another Max Potion off of Juniper (I only run 2 Max Potion) healing all damage on my field. I KO an EX and have a catcher in hand to KO his last EX. He can't do much and I win.
3-0

Round 4 Joshawott w/Hydreigon Darkrai
I mulligan 5 times and evantually get a Terrakion start. He goes first and starts Deino active and Darkrai on bench. Even with all those mulligans, he doesn't get a supporter or energy. I attach Prism on my turn and juniper into Darkrais and pass. He gets out 2 Hydreigons and passes, I attach and hit him for 50. He retreats and plays N which he topdecked. He attaches to Hydreigon and passes. I got a prism and catcher off of his N and take one of his Darkrais. He opts to junk hunt with sabeleye on his next turn rather than attacking with Darkrai. I get the catcher and take his other Darkrai. He sends out sigilyph to stall but I get the catcher and take the Sabeleye. He starts to attack with Sigilyph. I attack with Darkrai to snipe a Hydreigon. He just Max Potions it and hit Darkrai. I just send out Darkrai, and don't attack because I just needed the Blend for the win. He N's me to 1 and hits the Darkrai and I whiff on blend so I decide to attack with Darkrai. He attacks it and I top an N. I play it for 1 and get the catcher! I catcher Hydreigon that I hd sniped and Psydrive with Mewtwo for the win.
4-0

I'll admit that some matches were easy but the deck is still really good, nonetheless.

PROPS
HelloKittyUno
Rumble
SeaWaterSalty
Bucketing
CP,IGuess
Terrakion EX
WinningWithPsydrive
GoingSecondAllDayAndComingFirst

Slops
Tony going 4-3 with the deck because of bad draws.

On a final note, a word of advice for those who want to try this deck out ; DO NOT OVERTECH. You only have 5 bench spaces, try not to tech against random rogues that you might not even play, Darkrai is usually the best choice in that situation anyway. Tech things that are consistent and powerful against every deck or even just the metagame in your are. I made this mistake by teching in Entei EX. It was in my deck since I first built it and I haven't used it once in any game that I have ever played. I would much rather tech in the second Terrakion (EX or Normal) or a Shaymin EX.

Last edited:
Yay! Another tournament report by moose101! The Seniors division in BC must look quite different now with previous seniors moving up to the Master division this format.

Congrats Joey :) Hopefully the time you spent with all the various Klinklang decks helped.

I'm wondering...4x Prism, 4x Blend GRPD...2 Darkrai?

ICYP- yeah, I'll probably write a lot more to remember my last year of Seniors. I have also worked on my grammar and name remembrance as well.

Mr.Muffin- Yeah, Klinklang played a major role in learning this deck. Also, its 4 Prism, 2 Blend, 3 Darkrai.

Kazuto!- My goal is still, and will always be 25 CP for Battle Roads this year. I assume you'll get 30, don't let me down!!

Back