Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
03-Mew-d_thumb.jpg
vs
122-Torterra-LvX_thumb.jpg
+
017-Torterra_thumb.jpg
The wording on LV.X Pokemon, allowing them to USE the attacks of the underlying card, parallels the wording of Mew ex (Legend Maker) allowing it to USE the attacks of other Pokemon in play. You definitely cannot copy the attacks USEd by Mew ex with Versatile (or USEd by higher evolutions with Meteor Falls in play).

So, could Pop 5 Mew, Mew ? Star or Mew ex (Versatile) copy attacks that a LV.X can USE?

Yes, as it turns out! Because of the new LV.X mechanic.

edit, next day: I edited the above to make it more clear.

What I was trying to point out here is that the wording on the LV.X card lines up perfectly with the other "can use" cards and supported the way MOST posters were leaning -- that the copy attacks wouldn't work against the underlying card.

HOWEVER, we knew we had to wait for an official ruling primarily because it was a new mechanic. As it turns out, the new mechanic was not fully reflected in the wording, and the copy attacks DO work against the underlying card.

This update wont make it into the full Compendium ex tonight, but check out/print the June 14th, 2007 Rules Team update to go with your copy of the Compendium for this weekend's Battle Roads.

Last edited:
The ruling is correct

The problem is that people are not viewing a Level "X" Correctly. It is not an Evolution card. An "X" needs to not be viewed as going ontop of the Regular version of the card, but instead as you need to view an "X" for game play and judging purposes it as a parallel card that is played next to the regular version. An "X" does not completely replace the other card but enhances it, giving the regular card more HP, attacks and abilities then it had before. But it takes nothing away from the original cards attacks and or abilities. As a Parallel card, it to goes away with the regular card if it happens to be devolved. An "X" is not a stage 3 pokemon just a stage 2(b) pokemon. Or a stage 1(b) or a Basic(b) as the case will latter become.

So as that is the case, any opposing pokemon with a Copy attack will have to be able to access all attacks of the "X" card and the regular as both cards are in play and active at the same time.

Makes sense to me. If you read the new DP rules it says that a lv. x and the card under it are the same card. Like if you devolve a lv. x you take off the lv. x and the card under it.

This doesn't make any sense to me. On the lv.X it says it can use any attacks under it. I thought that would apply to the lvl.X card.

It doesn't realy matter legends will rotated out anyway

Sure it matters.
Aside from Nationals and Worlds (which are kinda important), we just got Clefable with a Metronome attack in the DP set.
Copy attacks are not going away.

Nice! I don't get the logic, but Lv.X's are a completely different animal anywho.
It is perfectly logical when you realize that , in Japan, Lv.X are viewed as the "same Pokemon" that they leveled up. They do not replace or even go on top of the Pokemon they are leveling up, they add to it. That is why the Stage does not change, they are picked up with the card they have been played on if it is devolved, and it is why they actually have the attacks of the Pokemon they leveled up so Mew can copy them. Perhaps the translation for that text on the Lv.X card should have said that they still "have" the attacks of the Pokemon they leveled up. Anyway, now we know how they work, so future rulings should be easier.

BDS

The reason it doesn't make sense is because English wording doesn't line up perfectly with the japanese text in all cases, hence we have a lot of different rulings. Level X could have simply been worded differently but that isn't the case for this card, perhaps it might be for future printings.

Yes the only error is that the word "use" was printed in the first place. If the card had been translated right, there would have been no problem. There's really no excuse for these continual errors in card translations.

Nice! I don't get the logic, but Lv.X's are a completely different animal anywho.

Exactly.

Let me guess, R-Gon player, like me.

Let me guess, Infernape player, like my son.

===

Whether my guesses are right or wrong, the ruling definitely affects the power of different decks. The good part is we were able to get the ruling out for this weekend, hence my urgent, bleary-eyed post (I fade at 10PM) last night.

===

And now, for something completely different!
-- Monty Python's Flying Circus

Just out of curiosity, what's the significance of this weekend? Everyone seems to be going on about this weekend this, this weekend that...

Back