Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Problem with the TCG fandom

Paperfairy

Friday, February 22, 2008
To the webmasters and members of PokéGym and PokéBeach;

Hello. My name is Justin, and I have been within the Pokémon community since the Japanese announcement for Ruby and Sapphire – whenever that occurred. Whilst I have not been within the Trading Card Game community for particularly long, I have recently begun playing the Trading Card Game again. In real life, I have an extremely limited budget and an even more limited card collection, and thus, I have developed a strong liking for programs such as Redshark. However, upon getting involved in these two communities, it has become drastically apparent that very few people are online to engage in these online battles.
The boards on your respective forums that pertain to online battling are quite frankly, highly disorganized. This is disappointing and rather confusing for several reasons; PokéBeach, supposed supporter of Redshark seem to be failing in its duty to promote play within the program, and PokéGym, the community of seemingly serious battlers have few people who are indicating that they wish to engage in Redshark battles in order to test their decks. Many claim that an online community for battling is nearly impossible to formulate and maintain, but this could not be further from the truth – the competitive battling faction of the Pokémon fan base has an enormous amount of active players, and I have never been online and was unable to find a battle with another. The same applies for the Yu-gi-oh! Trading Card Game (despite its dying state) and its online counterpart, YVD.

Thus, I would like to propose that perhaps the administrators and the members of these two communities collaborate on creating some sort of unifying league or online community pertaining to using Redshark as a means of battle. This would benefit, as far as I can see, many Pokémon TCG players. Newcomers would get a chance to get a feel for the game without having to spend lucrative amounts of money on cards they may never use – whereas, experienced players will have a twenty four hour access to an opponent in order to test a new deck, rather than having to wait until every Saturday, when their local league takes place.
I would be more than willing to write up and create the blueprints for such a program, but before that begins, I would like to ask a few questions in order to formulate a design.

1. Are you a casual or competitive player of the Pokémon TCG?
2. How often do you play against other players?
3. Do you attend a local league?
4. If so, how often do you attend the aforementioned league and is the nature of the league competitive or casual?
5. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG under its current rule set? (DP-on)
6. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG in total?
7. Would you be interested in a Redshark based online league?
8. How often would you play in the league?
9. Would you prefer a league similar to the league(s) displayed in:
• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• the handheld Pokémon games, or
• real life sports

10. How old are you?
11. Would you like the league to be segregated in any way?
12. If so, by what factor would you like segregation to occur? By age? Skill level? Other?
13. Would you be interested in moderator or administrative position within the league?
14. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon community?
15. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon TCG community?
16. Are you a respected member of either community? If so, which one?
17. If this becomes a reality, how would you like to be contacted? Please keep in mind that instant messaging programs are the worst way to do so.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to fill out the above survey. I will personally read each response and follow up shortly.

Last edited:
1. Judge.
2. Once a week.
3. League Owner.
4. The League I own I've been going to for 2.5 years. I've been an occasional player in others for about 10 now. Mostly casual, but I'm trying to get a few competitive players at my League.
5. Since the beginning.
6. Since Fossil.
7. Nope.
8-9, 11-13, 17. n/a
10. 22
14. About 5 years.
15. About 5 years
16. No idea. Respect would be nice, tho...

Very competitive player

Many, many times a week

Yes, for many hours a week

4. If so, how often do you attend the aforementioned league and is the nature of the league competitive or casual?
Mostly competitive.

5. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG under its current rule set? (DP-on)
I been playing pokemon day and night since DP release in Japan :)

Many many years - since Nov 99.

...Meh. I prefer Apprentice.

Is this a repeativie question??

• the real life TCG, (yesss)
• the animé and manga, (anime is lame, im all up for manga)
• the handheld Pokémon games, (yes) or
• real life sports (no)

10. How old are you?

What.

12. If so, by what factor would you like segregation to occur? By age? Skill level? Other?
What?

13. Would you be interested in moderator or administrative position within the league?
Yes, for a long time...But wont mention why.

Eight years

Five years

Maybe.

17. If this becomes a reality, how would you like to be contacted? Please keep in mind that instant messaging programs are the worst way to do so.
IM progs are the best to reach me.

Competive.
1-4 times a week.
Yes.
Once a week.
Casual mostly.
Since DP came out.
3 years, not in a row though.
No. Redshark is boring.
I would not.
• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports

Yes.
10. How old are you?
14. 15 the 28th July.
Not really.
Yes, always.
1 year and a couple months.
Isn't it the same?
Online, I don't think so. (I don't know)
In real life, yes.
By email i guess.

Last edited:
All three of you seem to be opposed to online battling, so I am going to assume none of you actually read anything beyond tl;dr, correct?

if they didn't read past the tl; dr then how are they answering your questions? it's rude to insult people who have answered your 'survey' just because you don't like the results you're getting.

don't most 'competitive' players already use apprentice for online play? what would be the incentive for them to change over to redshark?

who would run/adjudicate this? the 'gym already has the online battle thread, where anyone can post that they are interested in online play and people can make their own arrangements...what makes what you're suggesting 'better'?

'mom

Both.
Every week.
League Leader.
Every week. A lot of our players are competitive for tournaments but we run league pretty casually.
... since the rules came out? >_>
A year and a half.
No, I use Apprentice.
I wouldn't. I'd use Apprentice.
• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports
... there's no TCG league in the anime/manga. >_>

10. How old are you?
Skill level
See above
No, I use Apprentice
Since 2002
Since 2006
... wtf? I'm a mod on the Pokemon Community forum, and have been for nearly four years.
No.

I read it all. First off, yes there are many serious players on thia website. Second, sorry if I'm just totally out of the loop AGAIN, but I've never heard of this "Redshark". I don't see how barely ANY of those questions will help bring about your wishes. Thirdly. Have you ever heard of Apprentice? Although I don't go on there myself, I do know thats where a lot of people go to simply test out they're decks online with other people. But I suppose I will fill out the survey anyway, as I have nothing better to do.

1. Uh, I think I could be a little of both.
2. Sometimes I play with my friends, but for the most part I only play at the League or at tournaments.
3. Yup.
4. Weekly. Its pretty casual.
5. I've been playing since far before DP.
6. I think I got into the League when the format was Magma/Aqua on. I've been collecting since before then though.
7. I don't think so. Atleast not now. I'm happy with the League I go to currently.
8. I wouldn't.
9. Nope.
10. 14.
11. No.
12. N/A
13. I think that with the kind of small League I am in, the League organizer moderates and administrates things enough. But if I was in a big enough League, I think something like that could do some good in keeping the peace.
14/15. I'll combine then questions. I've been a member of both I guess when I got on to the Pokegym. Check profile for the exact date, but it was sometime in 07.
16. I don't think so. My super power is going unnoticed. Its just that I do so much I cannot be very good at anything. I still like it though.
17. I wouldn't, but I would THINK that I would hear about it either here, or at my League.

1. Are you a casual or competitive player of the Pokémon TCG? Competitive I guess :p
2. How often do you play against other players? A lot?
3. Do you attend a local league? yes.
4. If so, how often do you attend the aforementioned league and is the nature of the league competitive or casual? League is always casual. T2ing at league is no fun :( You are gonna make some little kid cry!
5. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG under its current rule set? (DP-on) since E-on I started being competitive(when POP took over wizards) I did play when there was the older sets like Gym Challenge formats ect.
6. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG in total? Since Jan 1999
7. Would you be interested in a Redshark based online league? Apprentice Maybe.
8. How often would you play in the league? 1-2-3 times a week
• the real life TCG, I also play MTG but TCGs can get expensive :(
• the animé and manga,Anime Clubs and Anime Conventions FTW
• the handheld Pokémon games, or This is already done like JAA
• real life sports like LARP or Anime Style Battling, this would be fun :D

10. How old are you? 22/FEMALE :O!
11. Would you like the league to be segregated in any way? No league is casual period. There are some leagues where if age segregation were take place it wouldn't be any fun :/
Pokémon? Nah I have learned there is so much backstabbing and power issues.. So I don't really care anymore..
Loosing friends and people you thought were friends is really no fun :/
Since 2001 (PokeMasters)
2003 ish I think.
I donno am I respected? XD
aim: [edit: deleted]
e-mail: [edit: deleted...this info is already on your profile. do not post it publically]

you also can call me on my cell # pm me <3

Last edited by a moderator:
COMPETITIVE

Everyday

Yes

Every week for two hours.Casual, just a bunch of n00bs with random decks. :(

Well, the format is actually HP on, but whatever. I've been playing the whole format.

About two years (but nearly one year with tournaments, the earlier days I spent being a n00b with random unlimited decks), I used to be a collector as a little kid, but I occasionally enjoyed a round of Pokemon PLAY IT! on my PC :biggrin:

YESSSSSSSSS

VERYDAYYYYYYYYYYYY

9. Would you prefer a league similar to the league(s) displayed in: I DON'T EVEN CARE! I JUST WANT TO PLAY!!!! (so I guess the real life TCG):thumb:
• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports

10. How old are you?

Yes.

Skills for sure! I need real practice!

YES!

Since July 2007

Erm... a week or two lol

Well, I win so much I better be respected in the Redshark community, so I guess I'm respected. IDK about Pokegym

IDK, whatever everyone else goes with as long as it is effective

if they didn't read past the tl; dr then how are they answering your questions? it's rude to insult people who have answered your 'survey' just because you don't like the results you're getting.

don't most 'competitive' players already use apprentice for online play? what would be the incentive for them to change over to redshark?

who would run/adjudicate this? the 'gym already has the online battle thread, where anyone can post that they are interested in online play and people can make their own arrangements...what makes what you're suggesting 'better'?

'mom

I apologize, I was not intending insult.

I did not know that Apprentice had a large online fanbase. Again, I apologize.

I am simply attempting to improve on the single thread and expand it into something better.

Hmm...overall, I think the problem with an online league or something is that there are literally people from all over the world who visit here, and it's just too hard to really coordinate something to accomodate the different time zones and such.

1. Are you a casual or competitive player of the Pokémon TCG? Both
2. How often do you play against other players? Maybe a few times a month
3. Do you attend a local league? Trying to
4. If so, how often do you attend the aforementioned league and is the nature of the league competitive or casual? N/A
5. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG under its current rule set? (DP-on) Since it started
6. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG in total? Since it came out
7. Would you be interested in a Redshark based online league? Yes
8. How often would you play in the league? Whenever I have the spare time to
9. Would you prefer a league similar to the league(s) displayed in: (Bolded preferences)
• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports

10. How old are you? 19
11. Would you like the league to be segregated in any way? Probably
12. If so, by what factor would you like segregation to occur? By age? Skill level? Other? Age
13. Would you be interested in moderator or administrative position within the league? Sure, why not?
14. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon community? For many years.
15. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon TCG community? Uh...for some years? Dunno how long exactly.
16. Are you a respected member of either community? If so, which one? I am at the site I co-own, and I guess I'm...well, not in trouble here, lol.
17. If this becomes a reality, how would you like to be contacted? Please keep in mind that instant messaging programs are the worst way to do so. I guess by PM.

I apologize, I was not intending insult.

I did not know that Apprentice had a large online fanbase. Again, I apologize.

I am simply attempting to improve on the single thread and expand it into something better.

apprentice may have a higher player base, but redshark IMO is better then it.

You should click the link on my sig if you want to battle some people on Redshark.

The serious, competitive players here play apprentice all the time.
They just don't play it with people that aren't members of their secret deck-testing circles.
That's why you don't see any organized leagues or anything going on on the Pokegym - the "elites" don't want to play with people they consider "noobs".

1. Are you a casual or competitive player of the Pokémon TCG?hm... casual i guess
2. How often do you play against other players?1-5 times a week
3. Do you attend a local league?nop, not AVAILABLE
4. If so, how often do you attend the aforementioned league and is the nature of the league competitive or casual?god knows
5. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG under its current rule set? (DP-on)started Dec 04
6. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG in total?[^ same
7. Would you be interested in a Redshark based online league?of course
8. How often would you play in the league?dont...
• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports

10. How old are you? 15 something
11. Would you like the league to be segregated in any way?yea, age
12. If so, by what factor would you like segregation to occur? By age? Skill level? Other?age
13. Would you be interested in moderator or administrative position within the league?nope
14. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon community?starting May 06, from Pbeach
15. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon TCG community?Isnt this the same as ^?
16. Are you a respected member of either community? If so, which one?Nope, just another stone by the roadside:biggrin:
17. If this becomes a reality, how would you like to be contacted? Please keep in mind that instant messaging programs are the worst way to do so. PM maybe

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to fill out the above survey. I will personally read each response and follow up shortly.

there you go!

apprentice may have a higher player base, but redshark IMO is better then it.

You should click the link on my sig if you want to battle some people on Redshark.

Your site sparked this in the first place.

The serious, competitive players here play apprentice all the time.
They just don't play it with people that aren't members of their secret deck-testing circles.
That's why you don't see any organized leagues or anything going on on the Pokegym - the "elites" don't want to play with people they consider "noobs".

I see. I did not know this. Thank you for the insight.

1. Are you a casual or competitive player of the Pokémon TCG? Both
2. How often do you play against other players? about 2 day's a week
3. Do you attend a local league? yes
4. If so, how often do you attend the aforementioned league and is the nature of the league competitive or casual? Casual mostly
5. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG under its current rule set? (DP-on) Since it came out
6. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG in total? about 8 years
7. Would you be interested in a Redshark based online league?Yes
8. How often would you play in the league? about 2 times a week
9. Would you prefer a league similar to the league(s) displayed in: Real life TCG
• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports

10. How old are you? 22
11. Would you like the league to be segregated in any way?Skill
12. If so, by what factor would you like segregation to occur? By age? Skill level? Other?See above
13. Would you be interested in moderator or administrative position within the league?Yes
14. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon community?under a year
15. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon TCG community?see above
16. Are you a respected member of either community? If so, which one? I'm not online so that's a no
17. If this becomes a reality, how would you like to be contacted? Please keep in mind that instant messaging programs are the worst way to do so. e-mail or pm

1. Are you a casual or competitive player of the Pokémon TCG? i play competitively, but i do so casually, if that makes sense.
2. How often do you play against other players?a few times a week. at league, tournaments, when i have people over.
3. Do you attend a local league?yes, yes i do.
4. If so, how often do you attend the aforementioned league and is the nature of the league competitive or casual?everyone is very casual at league.
5. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG under its current rule set? (DP-on) ive been playing DP-on for as long as DP has been out.
6. How long have you been playing the Pokémon TCG in total? been colecting since base set, playing competitively since sandstorm.
7. Would you be interested in a Redshark based online league? maybe, it depends on how well organized it was.
8. How often would you play in the league? depends on how much time i have, and how well it is put together.
the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports

10. How old are you? i happen to be the age of 17 my good sir
11. Would you like the league to be segregated in any way? maybe. it doesnt matter to me.
12. If so, by what factor would you like segregation to occur? By age? Skill level? Other? either of those would be fine.
13. Would you be interested in moderator or administrative position within the league? like a brother has said before, it depends on how well the league was organized.
14. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon community? a fair amout of time, but not quite long enough, becuase i missed BORED LOCKDOWN, lol.
15. How long have you been a member of the online Pokémon TCG community? i am counting this question as the exact same as the above.
16. Are you a respected member of either community? If so, which one? i should hope that people respect me and my opinoins on this fantastic site.
17. If this becomes a reality, how would you like to be contacted? how ever you see fit. prolly a PM would work best.

my replys are in bold.

Highly Competitive.

At least once a day, and 6 hours on Fri, Sat, Sun.

Yes. 3.

Friday - Both
Saturday #1 (1-3pm) - Casual
Saturday #2 (4-8pm) - Both (Weekly Tournament)
Sunday - Both (Weekly Tournament)

Since its release.

Since Jungle: So all but 3 months.

No, dont like Redshark. I like Apprentice better.

If Apprentice based, everyday.

• the real life TCG. - Yes
• the animé and manga. No
• the handheld Pokémon games. No
• real life sports. Yes

10. How old are you?

No. I like playing against all skill levels, and ages.

N/A

Possibly.

5 Years.

If you mean Pokegym. 4 Years.

Yes. Pokegym.

I disagree...Anytime i'm online..I'm on AIM.

Competitive

Every week (league)

yes

once every week, casual

Since this format started

2 years

Sorta, doesn't really work for me. I'm trying both apprentice and redshark...

every ttime i get i guess...

• the real life TCG,
• the animé and manga,
• real life sports

Uhm... not sure I get it, like the TCG though I guess.

10. How old are you?
you need to know this why? n/a

No, let people play different people, get a different feel, etc.

none

Yes

3 years

2 years

Yes, TCG. Also run my own team.

PM... e-mail.

Back