Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Adam Garcia Gon Stop Me - Southern Plains Regionals Report - 4th Place

SaiaSandstorm

Okay, so I must say this was the greatest time I've had in awhile. Hung out with some great people, especially the dreamteam. Meeting HT people like Adam, Ty Smith, Kurt, too many to name was also pretty sick. I could write a report about the amazing times I had on Thursday to Friday (cauliflower) but I'll just jump to Saturday. I had actually considered using Curry's Mismagius/Terrakion but I decided against it because I couldn't assure that I would get the cards unless T&T had them and I had only played the deck once or twice in testing. So I decided to go with good ol' CMT that won me BC.

Round 1 vs Klingklang/Cobalion/Vanilluxe
This was actually scary because I had a small supporter drought near the beginning and my only attacker was a Tornadus, I also came to find that my Gigas was prized. Mewtwo was a bad decision because well...they resist Psychic and Cobalion can lock my Mewtwo in place. I think somewhere down the line I just Catcher up the Klinkklang as I attempt to build my board position and after taking it out, I just went out the gates hot and just charged up a huge Mewtwo EX near the end FTW.

1-0

Round 2 vs DarMAXitan/Gardevoir
I pretty much take early prizes with Tornadus. Honestly, I think I took all of my prizes with Tornadus. Catchered up Darumakkas and etc so they couldn't evolve, took out a few Darmanitans and the game was pretty easily mine.

2-0

Round 3 vs Tornadus/Terrakion/Mewtwo
I open up with everything I need to get a T1 80 and donk his Shaymin. He seemed really pissed...was a terrible sport about it. I don't feel bad.

3-0

Round 4 vs Mismagius/Terrakion (Aaron Curry)
This game was decent but I went for a Dual Ball and got double tails, so my only attacking option was Mewtwo EX. I go ahead and take a prize with Mewtwo and the following turn he sets up a Poltergeist Mismagius and then N's me into 5 trainers...he then KOs the Mewtwo and I'm behind for the remainder of the game as we prize traded. Oh well. #dreamteam

3-1

Round 5 vs Cobalion/Virizion/EXP Share/Vileplume
I didn't understand this deck at all. He ran heavy EXP Share but also ran Vileplume. He was lucky enough to get them into play on all of his guys before playing the Vileplume. Luckily we reach a point where he can't accelerate anymore energy so I win the game.
I should also mention my opening hand was the worst....I open Shaymin, 3 Junk Arms, 2 Pluspowers, and a Catcher. I drew passed for a few turns, thought the game was over.

4-1

Round 6 vs Celebi/Mewtwo/Tornadus
He was able to go first and had a decent board position, unfortunately for him, he attacks with Mewtwo WAY too early and I revenge his Mewtwo and I am able to stabilize after that and bring out an endless barrage of Mewtwos that he is unable to keep up with.

5-1

Round 7 vs Tornadus/Terrakion/Mewtwo (Dana Lynch)
I misplayed during this game so much. I am not very good against this deck...I benched too many Celebis, in fact...I think I only benched a second one but that was too much. I went Eviolite Mewtwo most of the game to take my prizes. He had gone through most of his deck and I had been attacking with a Mewtwo with a ton of energy so I assumed he didn't play Mewtwo...I get him down to 1 prize, he has two left. His hand was large so I knew he had something planned, unfortunately I am not able to get an N or PokeGear so my only move was to just take the prize. Next turn he plays his 1-of Mewtwo. Shaymin's the 1 energy on his active Terrakion to Mewtwo, plays the Switch and attachs an energy to Mewtwo and wins. Had I A. not benched the second Celebi or B. not played into his trap, I would have won. I felt like absolute crap after this game...it was the worst.

5-2

Round 8 vs Celebi/Mewtwo/Tornadus
My start was pretty bad, I think it was a lone Mewtwo and we reach a point where he could have just Shaymin'd energy to win the game but he grabbed a Celebi instead which was weird to me. Maybe it was prized. I am able to get things going the following turn and I somehow win this game. Had we gone for that Shaymin, my chances of Top 32 would have been gone. :/

6-2

Round 9 vs Zekrom/Eelektrik (Christian Ortiz)
I start Mewtwo to his lone Tynamo and go first. He's like "you got it?" And I just play out my hand and go for the Juniper. 6 cards in, I see nothing, 7th card is a DCE. I Dustin Zimmerman the DCE down to the table and win the game on turn 1. I felt bad but that's how the game goes I guess.

7-2

7-2, I'm in for sure. I make a joke with Ty Smith saying, "I can't wait to face you in Top 32 so I beat you!" Turns out I'm playing Ty Smith. All of the dreamteam top-cuts because we're so good.

Here goes...

Top 32 vs Zekrom/Eelektrik (Ty Smith)

Game 1
He gets to go first but misses the T1 charge, so on my turn I just play down my old faithful Virizion and just start go to work on his Tynamos. I believe I KO 2 Tynamos and an Eelektrik and then near the end I just overwhelm him because he is without acceleration.

1-0

Game 2
This game was actually a little better and I don't remember most of the details. He does Portrait into my Juniper and discards CRUCIAL cards, if I were him I wouldn't have gone for it, he didn't even really need to Portrait TBH. Later in the game, he just decks himself out to try for his last Catcher and it ends up being prized so I win due to deckout.

2-0

Top 16 vs Celebi/Mewtwo/Torandus (Ryan Vergel)

Game 1
I don't remember who goes first but I think it was him. It was a pretty basic CMT mirror match but I believe I take first blood which is key here. Like most CMT mirrors it boiled down to a Mewtwo war and Ns. I somehow come out on top.

1-0

Game 2
I recall that this game didn't go so well for me, I miss a revenge KO on a Mewtwo and he was just too far ahead that I couldn't do anything.

2-0

Game 3
I go first and open T1 charged Gigas to his two Celebi opener. I just take too much of a lead, we enter a Mewtwo war but I have two fully charged Mewtwos and 2 prizes left and he just scoops. CMT mirrors are pretty luck based. Sorry.

2-1

Top 8 vs Tornadus/Terrakion/Mewtwo

Game 1
I go ahead and do the Eviolited Tornadus technique and this time, I don't bench Celebis...I had learned my lesson. I also saw Mewtwos in this guy's deck, eventually finding out he ran two. I'm not sure how I won this game but I remember it being really close. :/

1-0

Game 2
This game was pretty intense, and instead of taking out his guys with Tornadus, I just put 80 on everything with EXP Share. Later in the game I bring in Virizion and net some KOs on all of his guys that had 80. It eventually becomes REALLY close and he needed a Catcher to win it, I N him to 1 and he doesn't get it so I KO his Mewtwo with my Mewtwo to win the game.

2-0

Top 4 vs Zekrom/Eelektrik (Adam Garcia)

Game 1
He goes first, I open pretty poor. He gets an early prize lead and I he just ends up winning the entire game. Just know that it was sucky.

0-1

Game 2
I go first and get a T1 80 on his Tynamo, this time he gets ballsy and starts a Mewtwo war that I'm very easily able to win.

1-1

Game 3
If you could see this hand...you would be in disguist. Celebi, Tornadus, hand full of energy...and Junk Arms. I set up a Tornadus and draw pass for multiple turns. I was staring down a Zekrom so if I hurricaned into it, he could just take out the Tornadus. I did have a Gigas in hand later on though. He was able to Catcher the Tornadus and take it out with Thundurus A TURN BEFORE I DRAW INTO MY SHAYMIN, my plan was to move the energy to Gigas. This game was a landslide...near the end his board is full of energy and I just decide to set up a Gigas with an Eviolite but it didn't matter because I knew he ran Shaymin, and he goes for Shaymin and just moves all of his energy to a Mewtwo to win the game.

1-2

I had been waiting all day to face Zek/Eels because I felt confident about the matchup but I got bad draws. I'm glad it was to Adam though, he was the only one left that I would have rather had win than me (despite my need for airfare and a hotel <3)

I get 4th place, represent for WA and get a nice little trophy and box for it all. I sold the box immediately to T&T.

We leave the hotel, come to find out my suitcase was there (had no idea they brought it to the hotel), and it was left at the hotel. I call back multiple times and they said there was nothing there. Obviously they were lying and the hotel maids stole it. The following couple days I am forced to wear the same clothes and I'm out 300-500 dollars worth of clothes. Definitely made the trip hard for me but I still had a lot of fun.

Can't wait for Nationals.

Pros:

Cons:

Last edited:
Nice to meet you. If only I had hit that energy on T1... things woulda been different.

Regardless, Congrats on the Top 4 and I look forward to seeing you at Nats.

Back