Adjusting and Adapting

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Jim Ferrell, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

Hey all,

I wanted to point out an interesting note in terms of strategy and playing style. With the new DP cards, we effectively have pseudo-Ex Pokemon in stuff like Garchomp and Empoleon. I mean they're really really good, but only give up one prize on a KO. Now, back prior to the RS Series of cards when there were no Ex Pokemon, the players had to win by taking six prizes (or the other ways, decking, benching). But once Ex Pokemon were entered into the mix, you could take anywhere from 3-6 prizes to win the game. This definitely changes the way you adjust and adapt to a new game. But now the the fall of the "Ex Era" is upon us, do you feel you are having difficulty or at least noticing a difference in terms of not only game length, but also strategy?

It's an interesting position to be in. After the years of Blaziken ex/Ray ex mirrors to LBS to other just incredibly dominating Ex Decks, to be effectively in a new situation altogether in regards to playing. It's just a sort of weaning process that I was noticing in my playtesting and wondered if anyone else noticed as well.

~Jim

2. jrwaxman

jrwaxman New Member

I agree Jim. Too many games over the last couple of years have gone to time because of all the search cards and such availlable to players. We even went to 90 minute top cuts here in Florida last year to provide some aid to the issue. As we approach BRs I am very worried about the time limit and playing a "set up" deck. Many games are over before they get started. The "fun" games that really involve strategy often are cut off because of time. I think we have to go to 45 minutes per game and 90 minutes for best of three.

3. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

I don't know how to explain in English ( I will try) but indeed there is a difference.
    With Pokemon EX you actually "only" have to build/load 3 Pokemon, to win or loose a game.
    With non EX pokemon you have to build/load 6 Pokemon for win or loose (or before you loose).
    With that in mind you need either more Pokemon in your deck, or a way to retrieve them from the discard.
    And this has impact on the Pokemon/Trainer amount in a deck.
    (That's mainly the reason I don't like the HP-DP1 format, the lack of trainers)

In terms of time I didn't have mentioned much difference. But at this point it seems more games will be lost due to having no bench and not because of taking 6 prizes. This will chance during the season.

4. PSYCO829

PSYCO829 New Member

it makes for more interesting games
    its no longer "should i play ex pokemon and risk the two prize loss?"
    now it is simply players playing anything and everything because the more powerful cards arent worth more when taken out, you get the same amount from knocking out an empoleon as you do a chingling
    it makes for a more interesting format to be sure, but its a procarious balance, and one i sincerly hope PUI is keeping in mind

5. Dom

Dom New Member

With bigger non-ex Pokemon HP-wise and weakness being less influential it adds emphasis to actual strategy. There is a realy mathematical change in the game occuring and some things that used to work just won't anymore. Trainer lines need to be adapted a lot and I think this is where a lot of people are going wrong. Its not a "new" game as such but a very different one to what people are used to.

6. MrMeches

MrMeches New Member

My Larger fear is Trainer-Mon coming back.. which it appears is going to be happening!

The Loss of the Ex is interesting in Playtesting to say the least! As pointed out, with so many S2 Pokes with Ex style attacks and HP, it allows for a more scattered feld on decks building! There are just so many combos now and people I think are just scratching the surface of this! Will the main Exes still see play... scarcely but I believe they will!!

Baby pokes are now more interesting to play as well!! Even though Babies made and Impact in NEO, IMHO it was no where near the build as it is now!

It will be a fun and Exciting Year and I am interested to see some real CREATIVITY out there!!

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Back before RS was introduced I was very concerned about Mewtwo EX: it seemed to be an immensly powerfull fast pokemon that would dominate the format. So what happened? All the EX series pokemon were just bigger than before. More HP, bigger attacks. It wasn't long before the older cards were forgotten and because everything was stronger Mewtwo EX didn't dominate. It seems like the same thing is happening once more. The new D&P Pokemon seem as a whole to be just much stronger than the EX series pokemon. The EX's without a weakness should stick around for a while but I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year they were all consigned to the binder.

8. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

I also think that Pokemon in general have gotten a boost in stats (Attack damage and HP), which along with the new way of calculating Weakness will lead to somewhat longer games. Back then, OHKOing something with Weakness was a viable option; now you have to either weaken it beforehand or stack on Plus Powers (or play Lake Boundary) to OHKO a big target.

9. ColdCoates90

ColdCoates90 New Member

Not too long ago this very thought crossed my mind as well,so yeah I agree.

On a side note I think Ray will have a role to play in future decks.

10. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

I think the majority of popular decks will be the newer DP stuff..but I think a lot of the older ex's will see play. Def. Rayquaza d, Flygon d, Absol, Shiftry, Delcatty, and Latios d. But I think several of the other ones are playable as well.

I guess we'll start seeing in a few weeks =)