ADV in trouble?

Discussion in 'Anime Realm' started by EricDent, Jun 26, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. EricDent

EricDent New Member

OK I am sure all of you heard that Geneon USA closed down a while ago.

I am kinda concered that maybe ADV might folow soon.

The reasons:

They cancelled publishing Newtype USA, and it's successor PiQ magazines.
    They laid off the people who worked for those magazines.
    They have cancelled several appearances at anime conventions (Including Comic Con)
    They still have no set date for resuming their Manga publications. (including Yotsuba&!)
    They seem to be re-releasing a lot of older stuff, and not getting that much new stuff.

Hopefully this is not true, but just a temporary lul in ADVs part.

Your thoughts?

Is anime in the USA a dieing cause (at least on DVD that is)?
    Is it just part of the posible recession in the USA?
    Are gas prices making people not buy as much?

2. Marril

Marril New Member

I'm going to blame the communists. Failing that, I'll blame the fact that animé's going through a phase where you're either spectacularly popular or a completely niche show.

Also note that Japan itself does a fair bit to kill off American animé releases.

3. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

I'd say it's all 3 of those reasons, Eric. ADV is in pretty big trouble, I'm just waiting for them to finish Kanon before they go out of business. However, on the other hand, they could be just going through a reorganization, they might be shifting to the same areas the smaller american anime companies are moving toward, which is why they're cutting back on everything.

4. EricDent

EricDent New Member

Well hopefully if they do shut down, it will be long after they finish Welcome to the NHK, which is the only series I am buying from them at the current time. I seem to buy a lot more Funimation, Bandai, and Viz stuff lately. With the occasional Media Blasters title thrown in to the mix.

5. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

More bad news from ANN, they postponed four titles, including kanon and nhk, I guess we're both out of luck, AGAIN.

6. JandPDS

JandPDS New Member

I hope ADV dosent bite the dust they were always my favorite Anime company

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  7. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

As far as the postponed titles go, it appears that Sojitz still controls the rights to the properties, and they're in the process of terminating their relationship with ADV and transferring the licenses to other vendors. So things are quite ugly for ADV from a business standpoint. I'd imagine that they will end up going under, they just haven't admitted it yet.

It's likely that the shows being postponed will wind up being finished by someone else. How long that will take to sort out, though, is anyone's guess.

8. ProfDW

ProfDW New Member

Already announced at AX. FUNimation picked up about 30 or so of ADV's titles, including NHK and Kanon. It'll probably take a while for everything to shake out, though.

First Geneon, then ADV.....FUNimation is now God of the anime world.

9. EricDent

EricDent New Member

So maybe I will get lucky and find one of the few Welcome to the NHK vol. 5s at Best Buy nearby...

Tried to look today, at 2 Best Buys, but no dice. I even asked somebody, and they said that "they aren't supposed to put DVDs out early" (since vol. 5 is supposed to come out Tuesday). But I know better, cause Best Buy ALWAYS puts out anime DVDs at least 2-3 days early (sometimes even a week early).

Hope that Funimation gets those out really quick (cause vol. 6 is the last one, and was supposed to be out in Sept.)

The article on ANN said that ADV was supposed to be trying to get 23 new titles?

So when these DVDs do come out (not sure when) they will just slap Funimation on them, and sell them, or do they have to re-dub them...

Looks like Funimation, Viz, and Bandai are now the "Big 3". With Media Blasters having a pretty good chance of being in the mix as well (if they keep up that is).

Another article said that Funimation is getting "select" Geneon titles as well (including Black Lagoon, When They Cry, and Hellsing Ultimate).

Hope they keep the same voices for the shows, and don't do everything in house. As far as Hellsing goes, NO ONE is Alucard besides Crispin Freeman!

BTW whatever happened to Negima?! (notice the "?" which is part of the title), did that get cancelled for release by Funimation?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  10. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

A new report said Funi hopes that they can release the titles by fall, better than nothing I guess.

11. EricDent

EricDent New Member

Cool, hope so, maybe I will get lucky and find one of the few ADV versions of Welcome to the NHK vol. 5 that they shipped to Best Buy.

Though I suppose I can wait till Fall as well.

Maybe I should drive up to Dallas (or was it Houston) and kick ADV into gear...

12. The King Of Magikarps

The King Of Magikarps Active Member

This is what happens when people illeagally download Anime.

13. EricDent

EricDent New Member

I agree, unfortunatly there is not much anybody can do about it. Some people just have the mentality of "Why should I pay for anything that I enjoy?" They say stuff like "Japan watches it for free, so why shouldn't we?"

What they don't get, is that Japan does not get stuff for free, there is loads of advertising that pays the anime companies (or the TV Station, who pays the anime companies to run the show).

Same deal with Cartoon Network, and pretty much every other channel in exsistance. Of course since you have to have cable to get those channels, you are also paying for those as well.

Then there are the tons and tons of stores that sell everything you can imagine that has some sort of anime character on them.

ETC. I could go on all day, but I think you get my drift.

BTW IMO if you don't actually pay for anime in some way (DVDs, Merchandise, Manga, etc) then you are NOT a true fan. There are lots of people who "claim" to be "True" fans just because they have seen the latest episode of whatever show they are downloading, and not buying the DVD when it comes out, the fact is that I am a True Fan, because I actively support the industry by buying the merchandise, DVDs, manga, etc.

14. Marril

Marril New Member

Lol, propaganda. Now, before anyone flames and/or mods me, hear me out. First, people downloading instead of buying is only a small portion of the issue. The larger issue is the widespread American mentality that animé is for nerds and children. This is how it's marketed, and the fans propagate this mentality by the way they act. It's the same reason the Pokémon TCG is seen as a kiddy game. When it comes down to it, an animé is either widespread amongst pre- and early-teens, or it's a special-interest show with a small viewerbase.

By definition, animé is a niche market. That means that it's going to be almost impossible to make much of a profit on it. The demand just isn't there like it is for other animated shows. Family Guy, for instance, is somehow popular across many American demographics, rather than just kids and nerds. It has much better potential for profit. This might seem like it forces downloaders to be the cause, but let's do a little non-numerical math. Lower demand means that you need a higher price per unit in order to recoup costs. This higher price in turn drives many people away. They're either driven away because they have the money but don't want to spend it on something they feel is overpriced (seriously, compare an average animé DVD box set to an American TV show's—it's depressing), or they simply don't have the disposable income to be shelling out $120 for a show at $40 a season (specific example: I could buy Slayers from the nearby Sakura Media for exactly this price, but I don't because I think it's overpriced). In the latter case, it's not actually a lost sale. Because it's not a lost sale, no money is lost from the companies marketing these things. Nothing would have been bought had the unemployed student—as these people so often are—hadn't pirated anything. It's only in the case of the former where actual sales are lost. The key difference between downloading a series and stealing a box set from a store is that when you download the series, the only possible cause for loss is a lost sale. The company is thus only out the net profit. When you steal something physical, product is lost, and the company is out the gross costs of the thing. Equating the two is fallacious. Apples and oranges, my kingly and denty friends.

Buying the series is all good and well. I have a modest collection of DVDs and a very few series in manga form, but the price is prohibitive for everything I'd like to watch and read. As a small tangent, it's far worse for manga. Case in point, Death Note is 13 volumes, and stacking multiple discounts at Chapters I made off with the whole series for "only" about $100. I admit that it takes severe dedication to a series to pony up that much for a single series, but I question the elitist mentality whereupon only the rich can afford to be fans of anything more than a select few shows. I think a true fan is someone who, if they could afford to buy the series with their own money, would buy it. Anything less is elitist and condescending to those who can't afford animé but still enjoy it.

In summary, blaming it only on the piracy, to the exclusion of the bigger picture, is shortsighted, ignorant, and reeks of propaganda. For some people, it's watch it pirated or don't watch it at all. Does this make piracy right? I'll let people weigh the options and come to their own conclusions here.

EDIT: Oh, and since I had that "Slayers is overpriced" example in there, I'll clarify the potential ambiguity and state that I actually haven't downloaded it.

15. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

I'm in awe of your True Fan™-ness. Does it count when I buy the DVDs at 70+% off marked retail value at a Hudson's Salvage? I wished I could have found Haruhi v1 LE like my v2 LE. =(

Edit: Speaking of Slayers, the new Slayers series, Slayer Revolution, is awesome.

16. Marril

Marril New Member

They made a new one? Well, there's another series I'd like to see but can't spare the money for. Insert profanities here.

17. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

Yeah they did. It's only on it's second episode in Japan, so if you start saving now, you might have enough by the time the R1 DVDs are released. Are you True Fan enough?

18. Marril

Marril New Member

Depends on how many other series I decide to be True Fan for! Which is really a code for, "my magic 8-ball gave me the 'ask again later' answer."

19. EricDent

EricDent New Member

Oh, well then I guess I am just in the minority then. Even though it seems like anime is becoming a lot more mainstream now. When you can buy it at huge retail chains like Target & Walmart, you know it is pretty big.

Here is a quick question, since this is a Pokemon board. Do you get your Pokemon cards for free (I know that the Proffessors do)? Do you spend some $ to help support the store/location that you play your leagues in? The answer is probably yes. It is a pretty similar thing to want to help support the anime industry in the same ways...

I am not trying to turn this into another "anti-fansub" topic. Just trying to tell everybody that another anime company is in trouble.
    There are probably several factors involved, and not all of them stem from fansubbers.

20. Marril

Marril New Member

But you don't actually buy "animé" at Wal-Mart. You buy the biggest-name, most mass-marketed stuff. It's not the same thing as where you can walk right into a Sakura Media and pick up something strange and/or old. Wal-Mart is only going to carry things like Pokémon, FMA, Naruto, and so on. If you're lucky you'll find a Best Buy with like... Haruhi or something. An animé section in with the special-interest stuff isn't anywhere near mainstream. Functionally, animé marketed like this is no different from any other corporation-sponsored fad aimed at pre-teenage children. That it's a cartoon from Japan is immaterial.

Also, here's something to think about. It's known that animé is expensive. Why drop like $50+ on a series you might not even like? Seeing it before deciding if you want to buy the DVDs can actually result in a sale where there wouldn't have been one before.

Also to answer your question I'm not sure when the last time I bought any cards that weren't third-party of some variety (e.g. bought from a vendor). I'm also very cheap with my money. It has nothing to do with desire to support Magic or not. It has to do with the fact that I can't spend too much frivolous money.