Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

All Mewtwo, all the time

Ahriman

So, I'm making another attempt at putting together a just Mewtwo deck, this time with a more current roster for a closer-to-current-format result. The deck is obviously mostly for fun, but I'd like it to be fairly good, just not like regional tournament winning because I'm obviously limiting myself in what Pokemon I can use.
In any case, I could definitely use some insight, particularly on trainers to use.
Currently looks like this for the Pokemon:

2 Mewtwo from the new Mega Mewtwo Collection (Psy Bolt and Zen Blade)
2 Mewtwo from LTR(?) (Power Edge and Psyslash)
2 Mewtwo Lv.X (I'd run 4, but they look expensive, so I'll run two and two Premier Ball)
4 Mewtwo EX (2 of one and 1 of the other two, in some combination from Breakthrough and the previous one)
2 Mega Mewtwo EX Y (I haven't looked at prices yet, but again I expect they'll be a lot, so I'll use some Pokeball or something to simulate the other two)

Psychic Energy, of course. Plus 4 Mystery Energy. Should I use some Double Colorless as well?

Trainers I'm thinking I need the following:
Energy Retrieval -or- Fisherman, since a lot of the abilities discard energy
Professor Sycamore and/or Giovanni's Scheme for card draw; are these the right choices for that?
Premier Ball/Evosoda/some other Pokeball, unsure which, to search out the Pokemon I need; is Pokemon Fan Club a good choice for this too? Pokemon Communication?
Dimension Valley, since nearly all the abilities use colorless energy and all the Pokemon are Psychic
General utility: Pokemon Center Lady? Muscle Band? Hard Charm? Lysandre? Skyla/VS Seeker?
Computer Search, apparently 1/deck now?

Any insights would be quite helpful.

Last edited:
Deck help requires a 60-card format legal deck list. If you'd like combinations with Mewtwo, i'll move this to the "Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion" forum.

I would add Rocket's Mewtwo....

Didn't see that rule anywhere.
And isn't this essentially posting my decklist of "these 12 mewtwos plus 48 psychic energy" and asking what else would be suggested to replace some energy, adding some thoughts on suggestions?
Eh, no matter.

I had Rocket's Mewtwo and Rocket's Mewtwo ex in the original incarnation of the deck I had in progress (proxying while I worked it out), but was trying to shift things a bit more towards currently legal cards; not quite strict, but making more of an effort to have the same kind of card pool. But thank you, I might try keeping it in.

I suggested Rocket's Mewtwo because i saw Mewtwo Level X, which is no longer legal except for Unlimited. And any Level X takes the slot of the "up to 4" since "Level X" is not part of the card name.

Huh, could've sworn I had read they were a separate card a while back, but apparently I'm mistaken. Well, lose those then.
Is 8 Basic Pokemon enough for a deck? (2/3 chance of drawing one on the first turn, but unsure about the speed at which I would populate the rest of my bench).

Back