Altaria and Dragon Dance

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by bullados, Nov 17, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

I came up against this in the pre, and I just want to confirm that I was, in fact, right in my ruling.

Altaria's Dragon Dance reads:
    "During your next turn, if any of your current Active Pokemon does damage to any Defending Pokemon, that attack does 40 more damage."

I thought that this ment that if Altaria retreated, then the effect is off (in single play). the HJ at my tourney ruled that the effect stayed if Altaria was benched. could you please clarify the ruling for me? thx.

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Interesting.
    Does the effect only reside on Altaria or does it reside on both Actives, so even if Altaria retreats, the other one still has the effect.

Or, let's say Altaria is bounced back to the bench during your opponents turn (say, by a Cyclone energy). If you bring it back up, does it still get the benefit.

There are a few good questions here that we need to bring to the rules meeting.

3. Chrisbo

Chrisbo Administrator

Here's what we got on Altaria this week:
    == DRAGON DANCE (Altaria - EX: Dragon)
    Q. Altaria's Dragon Dance says: "During your next turn, if any of your current Active Pokemon does damage to any Defending Pokemon, that attack does 40 more damage." I thought that this meant that if Altaria retreated, then the effect is off (in single play). However, a judge at a recent tourney ruled that the effect stayed if Altaria was benched. Could you please clarify the ruling for me?
    A. The reason it is worded this way is for the purposes of 2-on-2 Play; with 2-on-2, if Altaria is benched the second active still retains the Dragon Dance effect. Likewise, if the second active is benched, it would lose the Dragon Dance effect but Altaria would still retain it. However, in normal 1-on-1 play, Altaria is the only Active Pokemon, so the effect would go away when Altaria is benched. (Nov 20, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Enjoy,
    - CHRISBO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.