Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ambipom AND Dragonite?

Mac Sting

So, I'm trying to complete my sp deck, and while it's a luxchomp variant, I was wondering if it would be worth running both Ambipom and Dragonite? I just run Dragonite right now, but I strongly dislike smeargle in the deck, since I never use it, and I expect a lot of SP in my area, and thought using both would help out.

Running both is pretty common, although I'm pretty sure Smeargle is considered to be an amazing mirror play...

Smeargle allows you to be have some versatility with your cyrus pulls, as in getting a cyrus out and lets say and aaron's collection for later in the game (while keeping your cyrus chain intact). Smeargle also gets your cyrus chain going when you have non cyrus starts (and your opponent does), which can be crucial in not getting stomped by the mirror. Double cyrus is pretty awesome, allowing to get power sprays and essential set up cards like sp radar and e-gain all in one turn. Double cyrus is pretty gdlk in mirror.

You can also portrait enemy vilegar's bebe's search to mitigate the effects of trainer lock and getting out key resources like the various lv X that you run.

If you had the choice to use 8 Cyrus' or 4, which would you choose? You need to start using Smeargle... It's essential to the deck.

Put Unown Q on it, and send it up every time something's KO'd or every time you Poketurn something. Then free retreat it after using Sketch. GG?

That isn't to say you should blindly listen to them and put in Smeargle. As I recall, Smeargle has had a rollercoaster type relationship with SP decks. When it comes down to it, the space is often better used for a tech attacker such as Draggy or Ambipom.

In all SP decks except Sablelock I prefer to have both Smeargle and Draggy. I never liked Pom tons.

Smeargle can also be Bright Looked up and attacked with Roserade GL, disabling it for 2 turns, allowing your opponent to manipulate it so he dies on their turn and letting them take 2 prizes automatically in mirror.

Your choice... I always liked him but not this time around.

Smeargle can also be Bright Looked up and attacked with Roserade GL, disabling it for 2 turns, allowing your opponent to manipulate it so he dies on their turn and letting them take 2 prizes automatically in mirror.

Your choice... I always liked him but not this time around.

How is this any different from doing the same to an azelf or uxie or *insert any non-sp pokemon with garbage attack*? :confused:

Smeargle can Portrait to check their hand for Cyrus's and other useful cards, and if they have a Cyrus, you have the choice between setting up your own Cyrus chain (if you didn't already have one) and stopping theirs with a Looker. If you choose to run Smeargle, run at least 1 Looker's Investigation.

Dragonite FB is a must for pretty much any SP deck. Completely swings the match in your favour against SP decks that don't run it or can't get it out.

Ambipom G can disrupt energy attachments, often has a OHKO on chomp after Dragon Rush and has a small chance of donking.

If you want to counter SP decks, run Dragonite and Smeargle.
If you want to counter Garchomp, run Dragonite and Ambipom.

inb4 LOLZ BUT GARCHMOP COONTER IS TEH SAME AS SP COUNTER

Edit@Kayle: I know, but an alarming number of people seem to confuse the two.

Last edited:
inb4 LOLZ BUT GARCHMOP COONTER IS TEH SAME AS SP COUNTER

"Okay, I promote Ambipom G and Snap Attack, knockout."
"Cool, I promote Dialga G, attach DCE, Remove Lost, knockout."
"uhhhhhhh"

(edit)
Compare:

"Okay, I promote Dragonite FB, Mach Blow, knockout."
"Um... I promote Dialga G, attach DCE, Set Up?" (Spray) "Ugh. Remove Lost for 80... heads, remove your DCE."

Now you have a distinct advantage, they're a prize behind you and you have something that can deal a LOT of damage to them in one hit active (assuming you've got the next DCE in hand), or at least can poke-turn and switch to Plan B.

Not a common example but since I just scrubbed with Dialgachomp it's the one on my mind.

Because lock up psychic restore are actually useful attacks. Tail rap just plain sucks.

I dont see how these attacks are any more useful than tail rap when it comes to getting your pokemon trapped through Roserade GL. Uxie ends up being a wash as it gives you and your opponent an extra turn to stall/gather resources cause you don't net any energy drops after using psychic restore. Azelf is getting locked all the same while the opponent can poke turn his Roserade GL in case the Azelf player ever uses lock up.

I just didn't like yoyo's example of a reason not to use smeargle when this reason is applicable to a variety of other cards in SP that are seen as staples.

Last edited:
While Smeargle is nice, don't blindly use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. Plain and simple. I don't find BDK useful in my Sablock, even though I know it's the play.

OT, I love Dragonite and Ambipom. I only used Draggy in LC though.

Ambipom is a sweet little donk master on T1 while Draggy just sits there and POUNDS without losing energy and demands to be KO'd

Also play a 5-2 Garchomp c Lv.x line, you will pwn mirror so bad.

Smeargle ISNT a necessity, you could get away with either draggy or ambi, SP is versatile.

^^ Agreed.

Ambipalm is just too good for that quick KO (also forces your opponent to consider if they REALLY only want to attach a DCE to the chomp), as well as a great energy disruptor. Dragonite is far harder to get out in a pinch, so you really do need both.

Back