Ambipom, no really....

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Everwind, Jun 11, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Everwind

Everwind New Member

I was thinking the other day during some downtime and I wanted to run something past the gang here. Anyway I have been having fun with my Darkrai/Weavile/Pidgedot deck, and in general having fun with Weavile (SW) and was looking for other combinations that might work as well. I have always have liked disruption strategies in any CCG I have played.

I was doing some searching and came across Ambipom (MT). He takes colorless anergy attacks so if I create a dark deck with Weavile (SW) I can boost damage efficiently with Darkrai LvX or special dark energy's using Weavile's poke-power to turn Ambi(s) dark.

Both Ambi's attack Tail Influence and Charity tail offer signifcant disruption and can easily be boosted to 50/100 damage respectively...

The only real downside seems to be Ambi's low HP.
    Throw in some energy removal and TGMs and you have a good chance to disrupt your opponent. Could this work? I would think this wouls set up pretty fast.

So how would you make it?

2. XYZ_Sniper

XYZ_Sniper New Member

the deck is good, but has troube against very lucky people >.>

3. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Low HP on... EVERYTHING is pretty much a problem.
    How are you taking a hit from a three energy holding Empoleon? You... aren't?
    How are you taking a single Psychic Cut from Gallade, flipping one prize per attack. You... aren't?

With low HP in mind, you're now going to have to turn to insane speed to make the deck work.
    How fast can a deck with 2 stage 1s set up? What about if we add the level X into the mess?
    Chances are it won't be by turn 2, and after that is a bit late to start attacking.

Sure, decks with low HP can work (Kricketune, Mothim, etc.). The thing is, those decks are almost always dealing ~80 damage on turn 2. Most definately by turn 3.
    How much damage is this deck doing turn 2? If we're very lucky (2 special darks)... Maybe 50? Seems... A tad underwhelming.

Just my opinions. I think a Darkrai/Weavile engine... Really is going to have to be paired with something that can take a hit gracefully (Togekiss is my favorite thus far, but the following also work: Blissey, Pidgeot, etc). Unfortunately, no matter how you look at it, the stage 1 and LV.X require a lot more set up then other fast decks, and unless you pour a LOT of energy onto one pokemon, the damage amount isn't really going to keep up with slower decks.

I WOULD however try to figure out what can set up fast and consistently, since Darkrai's problems with set up decks start to fade next format as Double Rainbows vanish. Disruption probably works a lot better when it becomes very difficult to play multiple energies in a turn (though Claydol and evolution searchers like the new TM and Phione are still problematic)

4. TODDakaESTEBAN

TODDakaESTEBAN New Member

i invented weavile/ambipom before sw came out and it's bad, it's annoying, but every good deck will get past the luck part,

you have no hp, and deal no damage so it's pretty hard to pull off, once they get claydol, you will NEVER charity tail 80 unless you have 7 basic darkness, with weavile and darkrai in play