Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

AMU - Am I Missing Something?

Flaming_Spinach

Feature Editor
Please forgive me if I don't see it...

How are these cards a major force in the coming season?

I see that Mesprit's 200 damage is pretty godly, and the other two have some decent back-ups, but what can this deck do against something that manages 90 per turn?

Once you lose one of them, or a single energy drop, the 200-damage-every-other-turn-cycle is completely gone.

Oh yeah, and they take up far too much room to be used as TecHs (I think I heard someone tossing that around).

Am I missing something, or is this just the next over-hyped-but-doesn't-really-do-anything deck?

How exactly do they do 200 every turn if Mesprit's attack discards all (2) energy on it and it requires 2 energy to do the attack?

the deck isn't about using god blast every turn, but if you want it 2 times in a row they uses energy patch :thumb: (i use energy switch aswell )

Doing 200 damage every other turn is not the goal of the deck. -__-; It has a lot of other options going for it, if only people would hurry the heck up and realize that.

Edit: Haha, Makka beat me to it.

You CAN do 200 everyturn if you have 2 mesprit lv X. Go figure.

I think it has some serious potential in the future. The trios have everything. From free retreat to ohko abilities. I bet we'll have to yell " AMU is broken" in the next season.

I don't see what else the deck could do other than the 200 dmg attack that would be very good. Uxie can do 20 damage. Uxie lv.X can do 60 for 2, but then can't use the attack again next turn. Mesprit can do 20 for 2, possible +50 if same hand size. Azelf can do 20 and Azelf lv.X can place dmg counters on a single pokemon equal the total amount of energy the opponent has in play. Honestly, none of these attacks seem that fantastic. Your not going to be taking prizes with 20-60 damage attacks that often.

I just don't see what is so special about the deck other than the 200 dmg attack.

It's sorta like destiny, using mainly basics, and attacking basics, even if the attacks aren't that strong. Either way AMU is not about using God Blast every turn, if you did want to do that, use rotom + energy switch or use leafeon X.

But destiny had a bunch of fantastic effects. The rest of the AMU cards just do 20-60 dmg with no real fantastic effects. Getting out 3 lv.Xs to not focus on doing 200 every turn would be a waste of time imho.

A M U U R Gr8

The rest of the AMU cards just do 20-60 dmg with no real fantastic effects. .

Uxie's setup is fantastic. Mesprit's psychic bind is PLOX in a power from a basic, that's very good. Azelf's time warp is another fantastic effect. The efficency of each card is really off the scale. Free retreat on everything with the Mesprit MT is very useful too. You even have Azelf MT available to add if the metagame demands it, e.g. for the mirror or against Ditto and Mewtwo.

Mesprit LvX can effectively null two or three turns of Froslass or Bronzong or Ampharos, personally I think that is the real merit, the 200 attack is more of a convenient extra. Your opponent can't focus on building up one pokémon as long as you have the threat of warp pointing and levelling up once or twice to get them out.

With free retreat, fast initial setup, disruption, speed through deck, prize negation and manipulation, high damage output, low energy costs and the ability to build in additional attackers, I think Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie have high potential.

My advise to anyone considering AMU:

• Think outside the box. The more obscure and initally clashing combos can end up more effective in the end.
  • I'm focusing on speed and consistency, there are many cards DP-on that really compliment the pixies.
  • Have a turn by turn plan for the start of the game. Think about things like is it worth using call energy to put the pixies on the bench who would have effects if played from the hand?
  • Think about what you want active, and how you want to level things up without them being stuck after a retreat. Is warp point better than switch if you want to do 200?
  • Tech for matchups once the metagame is established.

My bet: At the beginning of the next meta, UMA will crash and burn. Then, as the meta gets established, UMA will tech itself accordingly and come back into the meta, potentionally winning tournaments left and right.

Not that I think they'll rule the roost in the end, but eh.

Mesprit's Psychic Bind is only activated twice a game on average, while PLOX's lock was every single turn. There is a big difference. Actually, all the pixies have neat abilities that only activate every now and then.

Mesprit is good against spread, but against anything doing 80+ a turn?

I won't disagree that the cards have a lot of potential but people are literally praising it as the next messiah for this game.

AMU is fast and strong, but entirely beatable. I've played it and I know the matchups well. AMU will be good, but it won't unbalance the format.

It's not the fact that UMA is using God Blast every turn, it is that it can set up really quick and good, along with the fact that the deck is very versatile. 2 for 60 is pretty good, sure you can't use it next turn but that is pretty good.

Azelf Lv.X's attack is great vs a deck that has lots of energy accel or late game.

Overall, i think it is because of No Weakness, Snowpoint Temple, and i think Free Retreat that will make UMA such a good deck next format, along with it's versatility

I think what makes this deck efficient and effective is the fact that all the Pixies have something useful, at least in the next set. For example, and as pointed out, the Mesprit has the ability to lock the opponent down for a turn when played. Now, combo this with a Wager, and suddenly, they're not in such a fun situation. Plus, you can do a possible 70 damage for a mere two energy rather quickly. Azelf from the next set allows you to not be able to prize any of the important Pixies, meaning that you don't have to worry about losing a game because something important, pokemon wise, was prized. Next, we have Uxie, which has a useful ability to hit and run, and when dropped, get you cards in hand. Since it's an all basic deck, more than likely, you'll have a low hand and thus gain a LOT from Uxie's power.

Now, moving on to their level X's. Uxie X proves useful yet again, and pulls out a possible needed card from two from the top of your deck, and can hit for 60 for any two energy. Azelf X gives everything on your side of the field no weakness, and can be excellent against energy acceleration type decks to knock away a Claydol and such. Mesprit Level X has the ability to heal for no energy and to wipe out anything for two energy if it should have to be done.

I see all of this as pretty good.

It isn't difficult to get out all 3 of the Lv. X's in two, or even one turn (not saying first or second turn, just at some point you could get all 3 out in one turn). You have one out, level it up. Retreat for free with Mesprit MT's Body, and level up the new one. Then, Warp Point into the third one, and level it up. Done. Considering the deck should run 4 Warp Point, it isn't that difficult.

finally some 1 sees this dek is getting 2 much hype sure it has its upsides but more down sides in my opinion any dek wit an auto loss shouldnt even be bothered wit

By that logic, people shouldn't bother with Kingdra since it autoloses to Leafeon. Which autoloses to Magmortar. Which autoloses to Kingdra. Amiryte?

My bet: At the beginning of the next meta, UMA will crash and burn. Then, as the meta gets established, UMA will tech itself accordingly and come back into the meta, potentionally winning tournaments left and right.

Not that I think they'll rule the roost in the end, but eh.

Is that perhaps a pun on Metanite? :cool:

Back