Ancient Ruins: Bad card, or just overlooked?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by dkates, Mar 2, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. dkates

dkates New Member

OK, in many of my E-on decks, I've been using Ancient Ruins as alternate draw. Few people actually suggest I take it out when I do use it, but it hasn't been showing up in many decks other than my own. I'm wondering why this is. So, please post here how useful a card you think Ancient Ruins to be, and why.

Personally, I've found some interesting combos for Ancient Ruins. Examples:
    • Pokémon like Clefable or Furret. If you have extra Supporters in your hand, shuffle them in with their Powers, and you can still get a card from AR.
    • Oracle. One of my personal favorites these days. I do kinda wish I had more than one Delcatty (after all, it is a faster combo with Oracle, among other things), but until I get it, this is one of the best combos I can make with Oracle. One turn, Oracle two cards to the top of your deck. Next turn, as long as you haven't been Shamaned or something like that, you can get both Oracled cards in the same turn. I often make a Supporter card number 2, so that I'll have a good one to use.

For me, the main appeal of Ancient Ruins is that it's the only card in Modified that lets you draw cards (I'm not counting search), but isn't a Supporter.

2. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I suspect because Ancient Ruins works best in decks that don't run many supporters. I like ancient Ruins too.

3. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

I like the card and I personally think it's overlooked. I know it's only 1 card, but it's 1 card no strings attached... Supporters are great, but in some decks, they're just not as needed as others... And some ppl just don't like supporters in the first place and would rather have a solid 1 card than a bunch of useless cards... *coughotakucough* lol
    -Swampy

4. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

The only reason I wouldn't use it is because just as much as you are drawing cards, your opponent is aswell. Unless you use a very small amount of supporters, and even then, your deck doesn't run as fast as a supporter deck would.

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Now, while I haven't ran Ruins in my decks for sometime, I HAVE seen its amazing capability, along with Mirage Stadium: Yup, this set has some really overlooked gyms in it! May even try a Mystery Zone for my blazi deck (late-game energy fishing, ya know? XP)

6. davechri

davechri New Member

I've been thinking of running a "Balls" deck - one that relies heavily on Dual Ball, Poke Ball, Fast Ball, and Master Ball as its main draw power. As a result, I would be running very few (if any) Supporters.

Ancient Ruins would work well in something like that.

7. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

ancient ruins + ss armaldo.

8. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Pwnda, that's actually not too bad an idea! Your opponent is chock-full of supporters, while you have about 2-! I like that thinking...

As for Dave, join the club, since I try "ball" decks all the time. Apricorn Maker is a must if you ever try the idea, so have at it, okay? ;)

9. davechri

davechri New Member

How does it work out for you Patriarch? Are there things that you "miss" using that approach?

10. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

The thing most people forget is that some decks don't have a good Stadium to use. Second, I have gotten away with it in decks with 9 Supporters. It will be dead a few turns, but its really supposed to be an insurane policy-either I ahve a supporter (and that's almost all draw power), or I get to draw another card, often a draw card :p

11. dld4a

dld4a Feature Writer

Ancient Ruins is a must in a Furret deck IMO. As stated before its a back up to your supporters(1) and (2) it allows you know that you will be able to use his power every single turn. I even play 4 in one of my decks. If you start a game first you can still draw if you have one in your hand and no supporter. If one is already in play you can use it and then play another and use it to get 2 extra cards that turn. Town Volunters can mess it up,but Furret can shuffel that back in. In a non-Furret deck Town V. can hurt.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004