Ancient Waters...(EON)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Jim Ferrell, Oct 9, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

Pokemon: 20
    4 Underground Fossil
    4 Omanyte (Sandstorm)
    4 Omastar (Sandstorm)
    2 Skitty (Double Edge)
    2 Delcatty (Holo)
    2 Sudowoodo (Aquapolis)
    2 Marill (Sandstorm Error)

Energy: 18
    18 Water

Trainers: 22
    4 Oracle
    4 Potion
    3 Copycat
    3 Master Ball
    2 Professor Oak's Research
    2 Mysterious Fossil
    2 Oran Berry
    2 Town Volunteers

Just a basic list. Too tired to list details. I will add more in the morning.

~Jim Ferrell

2. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Whoa, Gymbo is back. I thought you were quitting? Glad to see you're back though. Onto your deck...

I really like Omastar. I tried to make a deck with it before and it was ok, but I made it for RS up, so I don't know how it is in this format. I think you may have to many of it, but I'm not sure. In my deck I used Kabutops with it, and no water energies, so I don't know how swarming with Omastars would be. It must be pretty good though, it does have 110 health. You may want to use Mysterious Fossil instead of burried fossil, since you can stall with them and your opponent doesn't get a prize. I see you're doing the Delcatty drawing line. I haven't tried that out yet, but I haven't had any problems using just trainers. If you decide to take that out, put in Xatu. It's an awesome card. It'll get 10 damage on all your opponents stuff, which can be devestating with Omastar, especially since it has free retreat too. It'll also heal Omastar too. Wow, this makes me wanna build another Omastar deck now too, I'm getting so many ideas. Oh yeah, what is the purpose of Sudowoodo? Let me know how you do with this deck, and good luck!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  3. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

Hey Jim...glad to see I understand the strategy...OHHHHHHH.

4. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

Alright, after being extremely busy, I shall include my strategy now...

Basically you swarm with Omastar. Omantye is a friggin super duper Dunsparce. I am using Buried Fossil so I can fetch it with Omanyte. Mysterious Fossil also can evolve into Omanyte OR stall for a turn. Omastar attacks powerfully for fairly little energy costs.

WW: 30
    WWW: 50
    WWWW: 70

110 HP, what more need to be said. You have type advantage over Blaziken. And against Exeggutor, you use Sudowoodo. You Copy the Exeggutor's Super Eggsplosion with Sudowoodo. Or just use all around Omastar swarms. Against Gardevoir or other ex Evolution Pokemon you get enough damage on the Pokemon that surpasses the understage evolution. So, for example, Gardevoir ex. You get 70+ damage on Gardevoir and then Pull Down, sending Gardevoir ex back to the hand for the KO. This works nicely, especially after you lose one Omastar already. The rest of the deck should be pretty self explanitory...

~Jim Ferrell

5. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

Jim,

Omastar rocked the house at the prereleases, assuming you could get it out, and I like this deck idea here. The only thing I question is the amount of water energy. 18 seems high to me, especially since omastar is actually quite energy-efficient, since only two water are really needed to fully power its attack (2 of any color can be used to pay for the attack, and you can make the 2 extra water add the necessary 40 damage). Marril only needs 2 energy to attack-not that you'd be attacking much with marril-, and sudowoodoo only needs one to serve the purpose you described. A few suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em:

Switch?
    Warp energy, bounce energy, or cyclone energy?
    A tech aerodactyl -ex?
    That gym that benefits kabuto and omanyte? (forget the name offhand)

Anyway, though you didn't mention it, I think the real power of this deck is to completely screw anyone and everyone who believes Rare Candy is the way to go these days...."Oh, you Rare Candied to three Gardevoir on turn two? That was really awesome...hate to do this, but...buh-bye."

cheers,

Jake

6. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

Hmmm...I am a bit iffy on it still....it seems like while yes, it CAN beat Gardevoir, if Godevoir knows your tricks it could play around it fairly easily ( heal whenever u get 70 on it and such....plus isnt there an 80 HP Kirlia? )

Blaziken now WITH Exeggcutor will be very painful as well. I know your weak to Lg, but still. Its 50-50 prolly. Sceptile TecH you just LOSE against though. Water Res plus Nurse = GG. Sceptile TecH is looking more and more powerful every time I look at it...

7. psycodad

psycodad New Member

maybe this?

Gym
    If u could fit it, the new steelix may work here. Do 20 to every poke and leave the opponent with lots of pokes to heal. Fetch the one not healed. Plus the onix covers the electric weakness. Just a random thought. Maybe like this........

20 pokes
    4 Underground Fossil
    4 Omanyte (Sandstorm)
    4 Omastar (Sandstorm)
    2 Skitty (Double Edge)
    2 Delcatty (Holo)
    2 Onix SS
    2 steelix SS

Energy: 18
    4 metal
    8 Water
    6 fighting

Trainers: 22
    4 Oracle
    4 Potion
    3 Copycat
    3 PokeNav
    2 Professor Oak's Research
    2 Mysterious Fossil
    2 nurse - omastar has a low nrg requirement
    2 Town Volunteers
    I left the rest of the deck basically the way you had it set up. I know the high nrg was for delcatty and metal hurts it, but this list just might work. My main issue with the deck is the weak basics. Start with a fossil and it could be game. I know alot of players think that delcatty is an absolute must, but my list (I did not post it) plays 4 oracle, 4 navs (works great with oracle) and 2 solrock (also works great with oracle) and 2 zangoose or lunatone (works great with oracle) and 3/3 onix/steelix or maybe 2/2 steelix/onix & 2 wobuffet and zero delcatty. (I know, what a random) I dropped the healing to fit it but w/o delcatty you can lower the nrg count. I am not sure how much potion will help you in this deck anyways. A good electric deck kills you one shot as does ninetails. I play more speed trainers and rainbows so I could rage and also to up the metal count for steelix. It's just my opinion and playing style. IM me or post if you want to see the list I am testing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  8. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

Hmm. Thanks for the replies guys.

One of the energy I like the most is Cyclone. I fell in love with it against NH Dogs back in MF. But Warp is dead sexy as well too. And I will not fall lower than 16 Basic Energy. So, I will cut two Water for two Warp, as I didn't put in Switch.

Sceptile will be a monster for this deck, I agree. Not proud to say it, but I see tons more Blaziken and Gardevoir than Sceptile right now. You know me, Chris, I am a counter player, always have been. I counter what the biggest decks are and work off of probability. I think Fire's gonna be big with Dragon anyways. Blaziken/Magcargo ex.

I will think about the Steelix idea, Psychodad. Thanks a lot.

~Jim Ferrell

9. psycodad

psycodad New Member

Gym
    I think I found the perfect combo for omastar. Check this out. Most big decks (septile/Gardevoir/Blaziken) have powers. Many 2 stage evo's have powers.You need quick damage on evolved pokes to get kills with pull down. The question is how do I get big damage on multiple evos at one time? Easy, you zap them! Skyridge Raichu zaps for 20 damage with an energy cost of 2 colorless. It can also do 50 for LCC with a flip for 20 self damage. One retreat cost and no pokemon center to protect power pokes and you have a pretty strong 1 stage. Add Sudowoodo (and 4 rainbow energy for max copy flexibility) to protect against lighting and eggy and your good to go. Here's my list:

20 pokes
    2 sudowoodo aq
    3 pikachu - SS best pika ever
    3 raichu ZAPP! Pulldown, I win! Skyridge
    4 buried fossil sky
    4 omanyte SS #70 - no poke body/power version
    4 omastar - ss pull down!

23 trainers
    4 pokenav
    3 copycat
    3 oaks research
    3 professor elm's training method
    2 lanette's net search
    2 pokemon nurse
    2 mysterious fossil
    2 switch
    1 town volunteers
    1 underground lake

17 energy
    4 rainbow - works better than multi with sudowoodo
    13 water

I don't play delcatty for obvious reasons. Zap owns delcatty, wynuat, and wobuffet too. I'm in testing mode but it is really strong and fun to play. The only problem is Raichu my just be too low hp. I still think this will give you a better chance against septile.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  10. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Wow! Great job! Haven't seen many good fossil decks lately, but this one takes the cake! I'd use Wally's Training/Rare Candy to speed things up.

11. psycodad

psycodad New Member

rare candy

In this deck, I actually do not play rare candy. Omanyte has a one energy attack (team assembly) which allows you totally swarm. Plus the gym lets me pick them up from the discard! So you have to play omanyte. Basically, you try to get an omanyte active by turn 2 or 3 and team assembly. Then build from there. Even it you loose the first omanyte, you have 3 on the bench and you can pick it up from the discard with the gym later.

12. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

Rare Candy could be very good because you could get a 2nd turn Omastar and repeatidly use Pull Down to stop your opponent from playing Stage 2's. I dunno if it could work but it sounds like it could work.

13. psycodad

psycodad New Member

Try the deck first, you could play rare candy but you need 4 omanyte either way. With zap, I want them to evolve if they have powers! A second turn omastar would be handy against non power 2 stages to a point. But you have to atttack eventually and they evolve then. The other benefit would be if you had an omanyte or 2 buried in prizes you still could evolve but in a mirror match, you loose with rare candy. You could drop the switch for rare candy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  14. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Hey, really cool to see you posting again Gymbo. A few things I've noticed:

I like that Raichu idea. He's not that great of a card, but since you only really need 1 energy on Omastar, or 2 if you wanna deal solid damage, you can afford to drop 2 on him so long as you get it out with decent speed. This does a few things. It forces them to attack Raichu and bring out their main attacker which gives you the option of attacking for 30-70 with the 'Star.

Raichu also hurts the deck cuz its another evo AND some pokemnon don't have powers until they're a stage 2. Kirlia is a really good pokemon, they don't HAVE to evolve if they don't want to. Same goes for a lot of other stage 1s.

I wouldn't run Steelix... rage is nice and all, but it gets in one hit and is like "oops i'm dead next turn"

2 Town Volunteers.... DROP ONE.

Umm, I don't like Copycat much in this format... Birch seems to work better for me. Also, Research is sooo much more consistant. Do what you want here, but I'd go 4 Research and a Cat or something. Birch would suck cuz your running Catty obviously.

Also, what's with Sudowoodo? He's a good counter for... maybe Gardevoir? What else? I wouldn't add him in, he just doesn't seem to fit the bill with only 60hp and such. PLAY AZURILL OVER THIS. Really, Azurill is just pure awesomness. Of course, this means you'd have to play Mysterious Fossil over the Buried fossil or whatever, but you'll be guaranteed to get a fossil early, and won't have to start with a stupid buried fossil. So I'd change up the fossils lineup, 4-2 mysterious/buried or something.

Good luck with it, Omastar can be a real force. I'll cya on aim sometime.

15. psycodad

psycodad New Member

After testing some more, I decided to drop sudowoodo.It just doesn't do much for me. I switch it for SS buzz. Thunder spear allows another option for bench damaging evolved pokes and allows me to drop the rainbows. And electric is just plain rogue. Here's the list I am playing now. It's playing better than the first one I posted.
    20 pokes
    2 buzz SS another chance to damage bench pokes
    3 pikachu - SS best pika ever
    3 raichu ZAPP! Pulldown, I win! Skyridge
    4 buried fossil sky
    4 omanyte SS #70 - no poke body/power version
    4 omastar - ss pull down!

22 trainers
    4 pokenav
    3 shaman
    2 copycat
    4 oaks research
    3 master ball
    2 fan club
    2 mysterious fossil
    1 town volunteers
    1 underground lake

18 energy
    6 electric
    12 water

16. PojosamaWannabe

PojosamaWannabe New Member

This is what I've been running. It's pretty consistent. I can usually get 2-3 Omastars up quick.

4 Buried Fossil
    4 Omanyte SS
    4 Omastar SS
    2 Skitty SS
    2 Delcatty RSH
    3 Wynaut SS
    2 Wobbuffet SS

3 Potion
    2 Oracle
    4 Professor Oak's Research
    2 Pokemon Nurse
    3 Copycat
    2 Mysterious Fossil
    2 Town Volunteers
    2 Switch

12 Water Energy
    7 Psychic Energy

I have the Wobbuffet in there for some Gard help. The Wynaut is just a good basic to play and can be used with Wobbuffet. The draw has worked well. There it is.

17. nikePK

nikePK New Member

hey PW, nice to see you too. In your version I'm not sure wobbuffet would help that much. They just get antoher gardevoir and put 1 energy on it and you're dead. I think Omastar swarm should be the focus here.

In other news: I looked thru my binder today... i have 6 friggin Omastar rofl, so I'm thinking of making an Omastar/Tops ex deck. Play like 4 Mysterious fossil, 2 or so Buried and you have a very easy way of getting a turn 2 swarm of 5 fossil evos onto your bench. Then, you just go to work. Team assembly is such a GODLY attack, I"m tellin ya guys.

Anyway, offered my fix to you, Jim, a few posts ago. Definitely drop that Sudowoodo... I don't see how he's any good. I like the Buzz in this... its a cool idea since you CAN afford to waste 3 energy on the guy for 1 hit. That's pretty nice... the more I keep looking at Omastar... man. Lol, you guys really gotta go for the gusto on this, I think it can be really really good.

18. BLiZzArD

BLiZzArD New Member

24 Pokemon

4 Cacnea
    3 Cacturne
    2 Zangoose
    3 Aerodactyl (skyridge)
    4 Omanyte (SS)
    4 Omastar(2 Skyridge 2 SS)
    4 Buried fossil

17 Trainers

4 Mysterious Fossil
    2 Professor Oak’s Research
    3 Switch
    2 Copycat
    2 Forest Guardian
    2 Dual Ball
    3 Oracle(need all 3)

18 Energy

14 Water
    4 Multi

I realize the delcatty is inportant to your deck but I noticed people really hate cacturne and it lets me build the omanyte/Omastar line and zangoose with his anti poison comes in quite handy I also added Skyridge Aero to shut down opponents poke-bodies and I put in 2 Skyridge Omastar to stop them from evolving late game

19. PojosamaWannabe

PojosamaWannabe New Member

Sorry nike, i skipped over some of the replies. I'm back on IRC so I hope I'll see ya there.

Omastar Tops EX could work but you're gonna die to Gard even worse with Tops EX's attack energy based. Also you have nothing to fight vs Sceptile or rogue decks. Ima test it though.

20. ProxyBoy

ProxyBoy New Member

You need to have more stallers so you cand develop your pokemon better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.