Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Annual Pokegym Mutant Booster Draft (SWISS) @Nationals Sat. 6/26

spookees

Annual Pokegym Mutant Booster Draft @ US Nationals Sat. 6/26

Chrisbo, BDS, Eeveelover, Christine, Ronae. Dwayne and others will be running and helping with the event.

Most of you know the drill...

WHERE: Currently it will be in the open gaming room, This could change if we do not have access to the area, if there is a change we will post it here and post it at Nats. ( We have a back up location, no worries!)
BUILD DECK TIME: approx. 10pm (you will have half hour to build your deck)
START TIME: approx. 10:30pm

**YES ITS SWISS style!! Some details: We will have 5 rounds, Free Pokemon Raffles in Round 5! More details to follow!

Entry fee: 6 packs of any set of Pokemon, yes ANY! or the cash to buy 6 packs from us which will be $20.00. I am not sure yet what boosters we will have but as we get closer to the event we will post that info here.
Remember: Please bring cash or 6 packs of Pokemon cards, as we cannot accept credit/debit cards or checks. There may be ATM machines there.

Please PM any of us if you have any questions, We will be adding more info to this post, so please keep an eye on things.

As for the rules....Pokepop and Chrisbo can post them here, please!

Taken from a previous post from Pokepop:

For those that don't know how Mutant Draft works:
You give in your six packs of whatever set(s) or $20 entry fee.

You're not going to play with the packs you bring or buy.
They all go into a big kitty and then we randomly distribute them.
You will get 6 packs back from all different sets.
Actually, not randomly. We spread out the packs so you will probably get packs from 6 different sets.
Because of the late hour, we will play sealed (you get 6 random packs and build a deck from them).

How to build a deck from random packs??
Well, evolutions can happen one of two ways:
1. A normal evolution. Psychic Ralts from RS can evolve into Fire Kirlia from DF.
2. Any Pokemon of a type can evolve into the next stage of that same type.
example:
Play Baby Magby(Fire Type).
Evolve into Moltres ex
Evolve that into Charmeleon
Evolve that into Charizard(hey, a normal evolution!)
Level up that into Infernape Lv. X

Got it?
Also, while we can't promise exactly what the prizes are going to be this year, in years past players can vouch that they were impressive!

All ages are welcome!!

Last edited:
You heard it ladies and gents!!! The Mutant Draft is back!!!

The PokeGym is proud to sponsor this event once again.

Thanks to spookees for all the leg work to get this set up for the players.

As we (she) get the final details worked out, the main post will be updated.

This deserves the Front page....

You guys should bold, the SINGLE ELIMINATION expecially after that 07 incident (my personal reason for never playing in one of these ever again). Personally I think it crazy to have a $20 entry fee on a single elimination tournament expecially since a majority of the packs you receive probably won't even be modified legal.

Spookees, I have a decent amount of packs that I can bring from a random number of set that I seriously wouldn't mind getting rid of. However it is up to you if I can do that. I would have no issues volunteering to help out if needed.

LMK,
Drew

You guys should bold, the SINGLE ELIMINATION expecially after that 07 incident (my personal reason for never playing in one of these ever again). Personally I think it crazy to have a $20 entry fee on a single elimination tournament expecially since a majority of the packs you receive probably won't even be modified legal.

Exactly.
At 08 Worlds I did it, lost R1 to a guy who pulled Rayquaza d EX, and then was like "Now what?"
It's like 20 dollars down the drain almost... It's a fun format, but this really should be swiss, especially with all of the time there will be allotted due to the 2 days of swiss.

Not that it matters so much, but Azurill has always been a Normal (Colorless) type (both in the Video Games & TCG).
There is Mantyke (DP) or Smoochum (UF) that would fit the example better.

Last edited:
Not that it matters so much, but Azurill has always been a Normal (Colorless) type (both in the Video Games & TCG).
There is Mantyke (DP) or Smoochum (UF) that would fit the example better.

On the right track. Actually, both Mantyke and Smoochum are basic pokemon, not babies. They "evolve" with the poke-power that specifically requires the other basic pokemon (Mantine and Jynx) to be placed on top of them.

A better example would be:

Play Baby Magby(Fire Type).
Evolve into Moltres ex
Evolve that into Charmeleon
Evolve that into Charizard(hey, a normal evolution!)
Level up that into Infernape Lv. X

Also, Azurill is a 3rd Gen Pokemon. The "Baby Pokemon" cards are all 2nd Gen, GS.

I always liked this example better:
Play Baby Cleffa(Normal Type).
Evolve into Eevee
Evolve that into Vaporeon (hey, a normal evolution!)
Evolve that into Blastoise
Level up that into Empoleon Lv. X

Or, how about this...

Play Baby Pichu (electric type)
Evolve into Delta Pikachu (metal type, normal evolution)
Evolve into Delta Starmie (metal/water type, typed evolution)
Evolve to Delta Gardevoir (metal/psychic type)
LevelUp to Dusknoir LvX (psychic type)

That's a 5-stage evolution where every stage changes something about the evolution chain. That's the kind of insanity you're going to be facing in this.

Also, SWISS PAIRINGS PLEASE!!! I wanna play at least a few rounds of this!

This seems really fun and cool. I have one question though. Doesn't the Pokemon you evolve from a baby become a Stage 1 then? Thus making a Magmar a Stage 1 instead of of a Basic pokemon so you could evolve magmar into Blaziken then?

Nope, it counts as an evolved Basic Pokemon - that can happen.

The Stage is what is printed on the card. Using a baby and evolving up has always been treated as a Evolved Basic Pokemon.

Okay thank you for clarifying that.

This seems like a really fun tournament. I hope to be there.

Wish I could be there lol

@Everyone

GET IN, This is probably the most fun tournament there is :p
Still SE is sad, especially since this is about having fun while playing odd decks, no poi nt in doing it SE and ruining the appeal this has.

The simple reason for SE is this. The Staff running this, namely spookees and I plus any other Judges, are floor Staff and Judges for Nats.

We will have spent 2 days already working and have a 3rd the next day.

We cannot realistically run an event that will last for 8 or 9 hours of swiss and TC the night before finals.

Sorry, we don't like SE either, but it is either that or no event.

Do it PR style? Swiss and no topcut? I know you guys are busy and its great you still do this, but doing it SE is just a crying shame :/

Y'know, you could just ask for volunteers to help ya out with this. I know I wouldn't mind, seeing as I wasn't invited to Judge with you guys and all ^_^.

We are looking at the possibility of running it swiss. We will finalize the details over the next few days and let you know for sure.

Back