Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Another mistranslated card from SW: Breloom

Magic_Umbreon

Researching Tower Scientist, Retired
Breloom SW research tower scan

It's first attack reads:

Drain Punch said:
Remove from Breloom a number of damage counters equal to the amount of Energy attached to the defending pokémon.

A post by Tego reads:

Tego said:
枚数 can be translated as "the amount of flat objects" (like sheets of paper, cards, handkerchiefs etc). Whenever the amount of Energy discarded is described as flat objects like this, you know they're talking about discarding the actual card (a physical, flat object) and not just the abstract energy these cards provide.

Breloom SW's drain punch attack text can be seen on the official site here:

相手のエネルギーの数ぶんのダメージカウンターを、自分からとる。

Which contains the 数 part but not the 個 used in Blaziken GE to mean energy provided. (explained in Tegos post).

Which for me implies it should remove a damage counter for each energy card attached to the defending pokémon, rather than for each energy as it says on the possibly mistranslated card.

That's my opinion applying discussion comments from other energy/energy cards to Breloom I forward for potential official investigation.

As Breloom decks like these look to get more popular I hope if errata is needed, this gets nipped in the bud.

Last edited:
I've checked on the Japanese-to-English translation. It is correct as written on the card.

Back