Anti Wailord Tech

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by TODDakaESTEBAN, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TODDakaESTEBAN

TODDakaESTEBAN New Member

wailord is a pokemon that is popping up in some very good deck ideas, it's so revered because if played right it has theoretically good matchups against the 2 dominant pokemon

but unfortunately for all you wailord fans the only viable means of playing it in those regards is with blastoise and blastoise d (unfortunately latilock and cessation allow this to work without fail)

why? you ask

because electrode and lake boundary ohko wailord, electrode easily fits into gallade's energy (4 dre, and if played with absol 4 multi ) magmorter can fit in a couple tech energies to compensate because it is hurt by wailord even more than gallade is

so unless we have another way to get rid of weakness, people will tech this easy solution in as soon as wailord becomes dominant making it a crappy card that is barely good at stalling

another strategy would be to pretend wailord isn't good and can't be played so you can play it yourself and no one will tech but we're too smart for that... right????

enjoy

2. Let Fire Fall

Let Fire Fall New Member

Wailord hasn't even come out yet. Why are you teching against it? Gallade is a good enough tech. DRE and do 120 to it plus move it to the bench.

Even Magmortar would still probably beat Wailord. Tripple Burn and snipe for 100. If you honestly are forced to, discard water energies with Typhlosion.

3. TODDakaESTEBAN

wailord isn't focused on attacking, so mag might have a chance regardless of weakness, and every idea of a wailord deck has 4 holon wp and possibly the new unknown that is wp in tool form,
    if you just discard the water energies all your doing is stalling against a staller that doesn't care too too much about whether it get's to attack or not
    so....
    gallade get's trashed by wailord, it can't ohko wailord and sonic blade does nothing with wp or the unknown on

4. Let Fire Fall

Let Fire Fall New Member

If you out stall a staller, don't you win...

5. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

Wouldnt Gallade's first attack to 150? I mean last time I checked Wailord from DP4 JPN had 200HP.

JLYK,
    Drew

6. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

But drew, they would always have a WP and basic water attached to prevent that effect. :rolleyes:

7. ShadowTogetic

ShadowTogetic New Member

doesn't Wail have x2 weak anyways? So why bother with lake bound

8. DarkJake

DarkJake New Member

You're really assuming too much of the deck to say it will prevent Sonic Blade absolutely all the time. In fact, the Gallade player could just go aggro and sacrifice the desired early Gardy for a Gallade instead to take advantage of the Sonic Blade (you know, since there's no way Wailord can OHKO anything anyway)

9. moza

moza New Member

Skill.

Always the play, idk why more people don't use it.

10. TODDakaESTEBAN

i guess going aggro IS the best way to beat them but that's all luck dependent , and that's also dependent on whether or not wailord is active that early,

but i will say that you will almost never be able to sonic blade wailord with four wps and x amount of searchable unkown g,

skill rules but this is more of a cautionary warning , my point is that in a format were you only have to beat 2 decks and whatever random bad decks, a pokemon that does well against both decks could gain popularity and if you can expect to see wailord, why would you rely on skill to win a bad matchup when, as i've said electrode can be easily teched in, both decks have such consistant forces like telepass, or energy draw, that teching is insanely reliable

BTW FIRE TRUK IS'NT GOING TO OUT STALL ANYONE

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  11. SPARTA

SPARTA New Member

Meganium δ. -30 because of its attack and -30 because of resistance. Wailord deals 60 damage, so he does absolutely nothing to Meganium. Rayquaza δ ex is another good one, dealing 100 for L if you are losing, or 140 for LL. Electavire can one shot them too. Heck, any lightning pokemon can take this thing out.

12. TODDakaESTEBAN

Meganium is a good tech but i'd rather ohko than stall for the dozens of turns it takes to ko a healing wailord by doing 30 damage,

and yes those other pokemon are good but they don't work in tech form ( except rauquaaza) and therefore according to the by-laws of this format, if you were playing those pokemon then you wouldn't be playing one of the 2 decks that will win anyway (I'm not being serious but i still insist on electrode as the superior card)

13. Papi/Manny

Papi/Manny New Member

Trode takes 2 turns to build up just to give the opponet a prize for thier wall....

14. (TYranitarFReak)

(TYranitarFReak) New Member

The real question is, is it even competitive enough to be played?

Electrode's a easily tech-able into any deck to OHKO wailord...

15. TODDakaESTEBAN

i think that if it walls gallade and is possibly effective against morter, that it might very well be competitive enough to be played

papi manny, giving a prize to take down a wall, is pretty logical, it's hard to knockout that's what makes it a wall, and that's were it's power comes, the difficulty to take 6 prizes, it's not dependent on taking 6 prizes to win since it's a stall so giving it a prize IMHO isn't to costly, and with dre and pluspower (gallade will have 4 dre and some count of strength charm) it only takes 1 turn to power

16. KAZUTO!!!

KAZUTO!!! New Member

Electivire may see a boost in popularity...

17. TODDakaESTEBAN

yeah but electrode fits EASILY into at least 1 of the 2 decks you should be playing anyway, and there arn't enough wailords in the world to make electivire win a tourney in a lot of metagames,

the tech is for gallade and magmorter decks, i didn't necessarily intend for it to "easily fit into any deck" when i thought about it, theres no need to run lightning pokemon to counter a counter to the top 2 decks that will then beat your counter to their counter

18. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

Wailord is a bad card. Worrying about it is like worrying about Rhyperior. It needs FOUR energies and it has a big retreat cost. LOL it's a joke really just smack it around for a while and soon enough it'll be sushi all round.

19. Papi/Manny

Papi/Manny New Member

1) Giving up a prize is never a good thing to take down a poke thats not beating the heck out of your guys isn't that great really.
    2) You would need room for a 4-4 line to beat wailord+recycle it back into your deck.
    3) Wailord will be running dres and scrambles up the wazzo. And head to head, wailord beats gallde if they're both powered up and swinging (assuming you've popped a few walls before with trode).

20. empoleonperson

empoleonperson Active Member

I think you're going to need er2's in gardylade but it is a flip. and to remove the holon energy wp.