Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anybody here good at Physics?

Gir

I'm having trouble in this class and I need some help on my homework. I don't want answers, just how to set up the problems and stuff.

Velocity and force.

An airplane flying toward 0 degrees at 100 km/h is being blown toward 90 degrees at 40 km/h. What is the resultant velocity of the plane?

Three people are pulling on a tree. The first person pulls with 15 N at 65 degrees; the second with 16 N at 135 degrees; the third with 11 N at 195 degrees. What is the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on the tree?

I keep getting confused on how to set them up.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

For the force problem I got 27.04 N, NW at negative 54.85 degrees.

For the velocity problem I got 107.7 km/h at 21.8 degrees. At least I tried.

Last edited:
First you use the formula (using the degrees and force for the first direction) giving you some number, than get a different number using the degrees and force of the second direction. Then get the average and use the formula to find the degrees and force for the new direction.

Sorry if that's a bit unhelpful, but its been over a year and a half since I went over the material.

All of these force vectors can be translated in terms of an x and a y force. It's been a couple years, but with the angles and each force you get a set of right triangles to work with. I'd like to draw a pic but the gym won't let me for obvious reasons. If you turn each force into a vector then add up each of the x and y directions you get a resultant force in a specific direction.

Solution: Beg your friends for answers in the morning on the bus.......Just kidding. :)

Just tell your teacher that the dog ate your homework, they'll always understand.

I have no idea how to do this stuff :lol:

Did anyone try to answer it? I think I did it right but I have nothing to compare my answers to. I called my friend, but he didn't know how to do it either.

I'd try to, but I don't have my Physics book with me. (plus, it kind of helps you learn the material if YOU do it. That's how I learned, with many MANY problems)

You could always try wikipedia or Ask.com or something....or not. Anyway I wouldn't recomend lying about it or gettin your friends to tell you but it would be a good idea to talk to your teacher before or after school one day or even ask your parents about it. If you really need help you could get a tutor or something but only if absolutely necesessary. I wouldn't personally know it because, well, I'm not that smart when it comes to physics.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/

That site should be of a lot of help. I would do the problems to check your answers but I don't have pen/paper with me. I haven't taken a physics class in ages. But remember - always draw a picture! And every equation you will ever use in physics can be derrived from F = ma. So really you only need to "memorize" one equation and you can derrive really anything from there. Some of the derrivations are difficult but knowing that you can derrive it from there really helps in many situations.

I thought I'd help you out by saying that your answer on the velocity problem is completely correct. I'm pretty sure your other answer is correct as well.

But as others have said, these sort of things take a lot of practice. And remember, when summing up vectors, add them up tip to tail. It helps out immensely when setting up these sort of problems.

~Jim

Sandslash - I DID do the problems. I'm looking to see if what I did was correct. Since I can't contact my teacher and my friends don't know, I figured I would see if I could get any help here. Obviously you didn't learn the material if you need your book to solve the problems.

Thank you all for your help.

IC, IC.

Well, I must have missed that part. Oh, well. You did a good job on them, and got a pretty resonable answer.

Velocity and force.

An airplane flying toward 0 degrees at 100 km/h is being blown toward 90 degrees at 40 km/h. What is the resultant velocity of the plane?

Three people are pulling on a tree. The first person pulls with 15 N at 65 degrees; the second with 16 N at 135 degrees; the third with 11 N at 195 degrees. What is the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on the tree?

I keep getting confused on how to set them up.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

For the force problem I got 27.04 N, NW at negative 54.85 degrees.

For the velocity problem I got 107.7 km/h at 21.8 degrees. At least I tried.

For number one:

Velocity = ((100km/h)^2 + (40km/h)^2)^1/2 = 108km/h
Direction = arctan(40km/h/100km/h) = 21.8 degrees
You would probably want to convert the velocity to mks, so hours to seconds and kilometers to meters:

108km/h * 1h/3600s * 1000m/1km = 30m/s

For number two:

Y = 15Nsin(65) + 16Nsin(135) + 11Nsin(195) = 22N
X = 15Ncos(65) + 16Ncos(135) + 11cos(195) = -16N
Total = ((22N)^2 + (-16N)^2)^(1/2) = 27N

Direction = arctan(22/-16) = -54 degrees.

Yup, it looks like you did everything right. Judging by the numbers shown in the problem, you might want to check your significant figures, though.

Back