Arcanine goes to CC! (The Auburn Mass CC)

Discussion in 'City Championships' started by Flare Starfire, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Flare Starfire

Flare Starfire New Member

First of all... what a rush! That was an incredible event, I'm suprised and happy to see TRU support such a scale of players. =) Attendance I believe was counted at 18 tables (36 people) so it was packed!
    I got there in time to test out my fun mightyena deck. It was cool =D I like Mightyena almost as much as I like Arcy!

I am, and always have been, always will be, the arcanine fan player. I find ways to make him work, and go with it, even if the environment is against me. (In this particular case it wasn't, but I ran into water anyways ><) Arcanine forevah! ^_^

Anywho, I got to trade for a 4th firestarter blaziken, which I ended up not putting in my deck. But thank you BJ for the two crystal shards! They payed off in spades!

Enough of the rambling, here is my report!

Round 1: Arcanine meets Kirilia?....

I'm not sure what happened. I should've lost, I think, but he started powering up his bench instead of his girafarig to attack my lone wob that I got stuck with with no draw. I'm pretty sure he could've KO'd it before I got to my dunsparce like turn 6 or something...but whichever the case, I think he was powering his bench trying to get to something. Once I got set up, I started drawing actual energy and basics, and I won on prizes. A recurring theme was for me to get stuck with 2 of my 4 special energies, and draw jugglers! =d

Result: 1-0-0

Round 2: Arcanine meets Salamence

This was like a showdown at the OK Corral...neither of us had basics, and I got to go first. My torchic, her corphish >< I have a blaziken and a prof. elms method in hand, so I go get the combusken and attach multi energy (Had nothing, again! ) to torchic, and burn...didn't matter, either she got heads, or she had potion and oran berries too. She didn't get a basic, but she did get a fast ball, and got the holo crawdaunt off it >< I thought I was finished. Draw...no help. Evolve to combusken. I thought Holo Crawdaunts attack took two, so it would've been game over, but I was mistaken. She still didn't get anything either, and I drew an energy to power blaziken for the win, but winning by a shootout like that isn't fun...we played again for fun, and I won, a closer match. =)

Result: 2-0-0

Round 3: Arcanine meets BAR! Grrr...........

Pokemebob's son was using his Bar deck. I hate bar decks. Despise them completely. I have the cards to build this deck, and I still won't. I can't stand them. Just..ugh. Anyhow, He started with a Torchic, a Mareep, and 2 Rays. Fortunatly for me, I also started with a dunsparce, and a rare candy / blaziken in my hand. My deck started faster, and the Ray only got one arcanine. I took out his blaziken, his dunsparce, and 2 rays with those 2 beautiful crystal shards for a win. I felt really good afterwards. Fan decks can still compete!

Result: 3-0-0

Round 4: Arcanine meets Amphy EX!

It could've been interesting, but starting with a 'sparce does wonders to help my deck. He looked like he had golem EX as well in there somewhere, along with sandslash, but I never got to see them. I don't think he got his draw trainers or something, so he wasn't building as fast as he might have. Amphy EX did come out... I discarded 9 (!) energys from arcanine that I had been saving up to use to KO it in one hit (barely, got 150, phew! ) and seal the game. Blaziken works well with Arcy!

Result: 4-0-0

I end up winning my category! 15+ Auburn City Champ.......Arcanine strikes twice ^_^ I'm really happy, and I haven't opened my box yet. I had a ton of fun, and I'll go to Milford just to play for the heck of it if they don't need me to judge or anything. We'll see, I just like playing cards with my friends!

Excellent event, Pokemebob! See everyone again saturday!
    ~flops over, exhausted and happy~ ^_^

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  2. Monkey

Monkey <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Congratulations! I was going to go down to Auburn for the heck of it today, but I deicided not to because I thought I wouldn't be able to play since I heard there isn't that much room there! >_< I wanted to try out my messed up Amphy EX deck also... But oh well, i'll be in Milford and try to win there! :)

Anyway, congratulations again on your victory! ;)

3. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Congrats, nice report. Where's your decklist for this?

4. babayaga

babayaga New Member

bangs...head...on...table...

My terrible, horrible, no good, very bad luck strikes again! And the rematch wasn't as close as he made it out to be... :rolleyes:

congrats,
    :unknown-b

5. Shift

Shift New Member

Refreshing to see different types of decks winning CC's. Proves that decks like these are not dead yet.

Good work, and congrats on your win, man.

6. Flare Starfire

Just a quick box report:

Got my 3rd charizard....where are the charmanders? o_O;
    EXs: Golem, Muk, Magcargo, Dragonite, Ampharos, Latias (At least I can use the Latias....no ray?!)
    Holos:Charizard (again o_O), Crawdaunt, Grumpig, Salamence (Yay!) Torkoal (?) Altaria

I need one more dragon wind salamence, one more mightyena (holo) from RS, and boost energy, and I'd like to trade for some Rays 'cause they can sorta splash in fire decks. DOubt I'll get any takers....

7. Flare Starfire

Babayaga: It was still more fun than corphish vs torchic for the win, though, right? *laughs*
    As for my deck list being posted, I don't want to divulge that until after the tournament on saturday, as I'm not sure if I'm going to play yet. I will post it here this weekend though! =) I have it written down. =)

Flare

8. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Charmander? Didn't you get one for attending the CC? :D

Congrats again!

And thanks for trading the Pikachu & Meowth promos - going to put them into the Scout Spaghetti Supper Silent Auction Pokémon package.

9. Flare Starfire

Another reason I'm going to Milford...it would seem thats the only way I can actually get them! XD Of course, that will leave me with 2 Charmanders, 1 Charmeleon and 3 Charizards. Well, theres always town volunteers...X)

10. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze New Member

Yes that was great to see your RK9 win Mike.

11. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

arcanine..... w00t w00t......... congrats, u r now my hero for the day :D

well i have my blazin leaves deck (arcanine/jumpluff) that i have been toying with and pondering about whether or not i should play it in my CC on the 28th.........

who knows, i just might...........

*scratches head and ponders more*

12. Mike,Like i said last night CONGRATS!!! i cant believe 2 players i know are in the states. Charwolf and johhnyblazes son,nick. I am shocked the mighty johhny blaze didnet place but hey there is always milford and the states. :p

See you and john at origins and before i go,to you and nick i hope you both can win it all at states.

13. Flare Starfire

Alright! Heres the report (and decklists, as promised) from Milford, as I went to play for fun. =)

Arcanine at Milford!

Decklist:

Pokemon
    4 Torchic (Singe)
    2 Combusken (Flare)
    4 Blaziken (Firestarter)
    3 Growlithe (Fire Veil)
    3 Arcanine (Extreme Speed)
    4 Dunsparce (Strike/Run)
    2 Skitty (Double Edge)
    2 Delcatty (Energy Draw)
    1 Wobbuffet (Safeguard)

2 Crystal Shard
    2 TV Reporter
    4 Juggler
    4 Oaks Research
    2 Elms Method
    3 Rare Candy

2 Multi Energy
    2 Warp Energy
    14 Fire Energy

(In auburn, the deck was -1 Torchic/Blaziken, and +1 Warp/Fire Energy, as I traded for those cards at auburn.)

Round 1: *BYE*
    Um.....don't ask me how, but I got the bye. I joked that I was at States already, getting opening round byes. *laughs* Given that I didn't want 1st place this time, this may have helped.

Result: 1-0-0

Round 2:
    I end up playing BJ's wife, as it turns out. She's got a Bar deck. All I can say is that is was an incredibly well fought match, that went right to the time limit. Poor Arcy failed on all 3 flips to try and KO a blaziken, otherwise I might have pulled this one out. As time was called, it was my 1 prize to her 2, but she pulled some brilliant moves with a Minun and Amphy's energy connect to tie it up. I would've had one shot with a 4 energy arcy on my next turn to take a prize, but thats how it goes! Well fought, and I do believe she ended up placing =) Bravo =D

Result: 1-0-1

Round 3:
    Johnny Blaze! Another Bar deck.... Blaze and I had been wanting this for a while, and we got our chance- blaze just never got set up, and I got an incredible hand that gave me near my full set up on turn two. Good thing we're going to be partners at Origins, so we can have a friendly rematch ^^ But I am very proud of how consistantly Arcanine is shooting down BAR decks, and from no slouch players, too. I think it's because Blaziken sets up faster by itself, rather than having an amphy line thrown in.

Result:
    2-0-1

Round 4:
    I finally get to see a Blaze-ninetales deck. Well, eventually - it was the weirdest game I've ever had! For both of us having speed decks, we were literally battling it out with Torchics, Skitties, Growlithe, and Vulpix, because we both had handfuls of useless Evos and energy, and couldn't draw into any draw for the life of us! XD It was rather amusing. I didn't mind losing this one...I've never seen two speed decks come out so slow in my life. *laughs* It must've been turn 10 or so by the time he managed to get a blaziken on the table! XD He placed too, so I don't feel bad, and I'm fairly confident my deck is pretty solid =)

I got all the cards I wanted for the day, including the 2nd Rayquaza and the 4th Mightyena and Dragon Wind Salamence. Superb ^_^

It was a great event as usual. Going to try to make the pre-release tournament! =D

Over and Out!