Are Japanese cards allowed?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by SteveP, Nov 6, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

The current Floor Rules state that only English cards are allowed in sanctioned play. Does anyone know if Nintendo has reversed that ruling and if Japanese cards are allowed?

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I'm pretty sure it says "cards released in English", not "only English cards". Can you quote the text you are referring to?

3. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Japanese cards have never been released in the USA. Same for French, Italian etc.... I don't believe that this is what PUI intend but it is what they wrote :(

4. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

So the European English language versions cannot be played either as they have never been released in the US?

Guess that solves the Marill problem though as only the US one is allowed!

Mmmm did'nt we point this one out a long long time ago but there seemed to be a no need to change the rules answer I think...

And of course there's ....

Mulligans and potential cheating coff coff

Oh well back to the TO making up themselves then ...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Cards released in the US, yes, but all versions and languages allowed.

C'mon! :rolleyes:

6. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Well, I for one plan on letting my local players use Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, whatever, at our local sanctioned tournaments. Let's not go back to the days when you had to have a local-language translation outside your deck, or worse yet, you can't even use them in tournament play. This is the BIGGEST complaint I hear from YuGiOh players who say UpperDeck has banned ALL Japanese cards from their tournaments.

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

so what does 'released in the USA' mean?

published? issued? sold? retailed?

There is nothing in the floor rules about all equivalent versions being allowed. I proposed something similar in another thread the eventual outcome of which is that TO's and HJ's can 'interpret' the floor rules. Not a position that I subscribe too I'd rather rules were made explicit.

We have just had a rulling that the floor rules supersede the theme deck rule books.

so what does supersede mean?

overrule, take precedence, priority, substitute, displace, depose....

I'm not against the application of common sense its just that it seems so unneccesary to *have* to resort to individuals common sense when the floor rules could be so easily be changed to accomodate the grey areas.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  8. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

"Players who use Pokémon cards with different backs must play with uniform sleeves with opaque backs on all cards in the deck."

This is obviously referring to Japanese cards, so yes, they are allowed.

9. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

obviously? that is a presumumption. I agree that that would be the most common sense interpretation but we don't know if a new back style is planned for the next set after ADV4. Maybe we will have block formats with different backs to identify the blocks?

As it stands the floor rules are at odds with the common sense interpretation that we are required to make. I and many others would like that addressed. Not immediately but it should be acknowledged and go on a ToDo list.

The Floor rules was one of the things that I thought POP would be happy to hand over to the profs /MAster Profs/TOs