Are Japanese or other foreign language cards allowed in sanctioned tournaments?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Adv1sor, Jan 22, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

The old DCI rule used to say that you had to have an English version of the card outside your deck if you wanted to play with any foreign language cards. The Nintendo rules say that you can play, "All Pokemon cards from trading card game expansion sets that have been released in the United States, ..."

How do I know if a foreign language card has come from a set that was released in the United States? Or are only English version cards so released?

2. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

That old DCI Rule was changed in the last year that WotC had it so that you didn`t have to have an English copy outside your deck anymore.

As for now,even though the Floor Rules are vague,yes foriegn cards are allowed.There is a sentence in the Floor Rules that says "Players who use Pokemon cards with different backs must play with uniform sleeves with opaque backs on all cards in the deck".

For the most part,you should be able to recognize a foriegn version of a card as they usually look alike except for the language.

`Sensei

3. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

Thank you Sensei.

Sound good to me.

4. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

So have ANY foreign language cards ever been released in the USA???

5. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

What exactly is meant by Released?

I think that Sensei has it right with the mention in the rules about players who use Pokémon cards with different backs having to play with uniform sleeves with opaque backs on all cards in the deck.

This would indicate that foreign cards are allowed. Or are there English version cards with different backs?

(Just a side note, does Pokemon have a different site for different countries or are all countries bound by this rule of only playing with cards that are released in the USA?)

6. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Released? thats not hard surely ;)

Lets see try the following two questions?

q1) What was the release date for Japanese Adv1?

q2) What was the release date for Japanese Adv1 in the USA?

Now I don't know the answer to q1 but q2 is easy. Japanese Adv1 has not been released in the USA.

What on earth is the point of having floor rules that we have to selectively ignore?

---------

I have several USA cards with different backs: some have been signed and some are a bit scuffed. They all have to be hidden in opaque sleeves.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  7. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

Yet, I have been to card stores where these packs are for sale. How am I to know whether or not they were actually realeased by Nintendo or exported to the US by a third party?

8. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

EASY they say made, for sale only in or ref the US directly

But what happens when you import an English Language card printed for sale in Europe and the UK only?

9. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

I think the intent was to say that if a card has been released in the local language, all other language versions of that card are legal for play.

10. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

And that's the whole point we are back to intent rather than stated fact just take account of the rest of the world and make sure the intent is clear and needs no INTERPRETATION.