Baboon's Gojira attempt (Mod)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Baboon, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baboon

Baboon New Member

I was looking through my cards last night and decided to try out a deck similar to what Otaku's been playing somewhat recently...

(insert cool name here)

Pokemon: 19
    4 Onix (EX2)
    3 Steelix (EX2)

4 Natu (EX2)
    3 Xatu (EX2)

3 Wobbuffet (EX2)
    2 Dunsparce (EX2)

Energy: 18
    5 Fighting
    5 Psychic
    4 Metal
    4 Rainbow

Trainers: 23
    3 Master Ball
    3 Fast Ball
    3 Elm's Training Method
    3 Wally's Training
    3 TV Reporter
    3 Moo-Moo Milk
    3 Switch
    2 Oracle

Quick notes: The idea is to get Steelix as the main attacker, load a couple Metals on it, and keep healing via a couple Xatu's Poke-Powers. This makes it harder to get past the wall, especially if it's set up quickly. Also, it may look like my deck is inundated with Trainers for speed/searching. Yes, it may be, but from playing against this sort of deck a number of times, I noticed how speed makes it work really nicely. (And since I'm not running any Copycat/Oak's Research, when a card gets into my hand, it won't be put back into the deck, so any Trainers, etc., I may draw, I won't have to worry about shuffling them away and needing to find them again.)

Post your ideas/comments, please. :)

2. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Pokemon: 19
    4 Onix (EX2)
    3 Steelix (EX2)
    4 Natu (EX2)
    3 Xatu (EX2)
    3 Wobbuffet (EX2)
    2 Dunsparce (EX2)

Energy: 18
    5 Fighting
    5 Psychic
    4 Metal
    4 Rainbow

3 Master Ball
    3 Fast Ball
    3 Elm's Training Method
    3 Wally's Training
    3 TV Reporter
    3 Moo-Moo Milk
    3 Switch
    2 Oracle

The idea is solid, I've always prefered Aggron EX though...I playtested it for Otaku and it went 10-2, mostly against Blaziken variants. This of course was before Blaziken EX, which CRIPPLES this deck (KOing of the Xatu) and KOs Aggron EX/Steelix in one shot as well. One thing does look promising for this deck inthe near future: Look at Nick15's spoilers for EX:Hidden Legends, the one coming out in June. The two stadiums, Desert Ruins and Ancient Hill, willRULE in this deck.Ancient Hill gets rid of all weakneses on all pokemon except pokemon EX (that's the reason I'd play Steelix is RSon) and Desert Ruins places a damage counter on pokemon with 100 HP maximum or more every round! This can be healed by Xatu, so this deck shows promise yet.

I'll fix it in Eon, although it will have major troubles there with Blaziken EX:

Pokemon:
    Interesteing setup, weird that you're only going 4/3 on both lines. 4/4 Xatu or nothing. You NEED 4/4 Xatu, it ups the c hances of Xatu showing up in Masterball, and keeps at least 3 in your deck for good healing. Furret usually doesn't fit in these decks, so we'll leave it out. Start with Wynaut, since the deck uses psychic energy to begin with.

-2 Dunsparce
    -1 Onix
    +1 Xatu
    +4 Wynaut

That puts us 2 cards overboard, which I'll fix now:

Energy: Drop all the fighting, you're playing 4 RAINBOW, which is WAAAY too much if you're also going to play fighting. Droping the fighting for psychic and using 4 Rainbow is much more versetile, and GREAT in deals that heal.

-5 Fighting
    +3 Psychic

That puts up two cards underboard, (lol) balancing it out and giving us room for twenty-three trainers.
    First I must say one thing about your trainers. I know you're into Balls and non-supporter pokemon searchers. This is acceptable. I know you like the other balls. Fast Ball is a no-no in this deck, there are two evolution lines, which won't do at all if you use it on anything past the second turn because of the luck factor. The only reason it's acceptable early is because you just want as many evolution cards as possible, to get whatever you can get your hands on, but we have Wynaut. I know you're a non-supporter person, and that's why I don't understand why you're using Wally's Training! Ah!!!!!!!!!!! Please spare me. Use Masterball+Wynaut+PETM for getting out your evolution lines.

I expected better of you. :D

Moo-moo milk? Try potion - moo-moo milk will let you down right when you need it most. Other then that, it looks okay, but I must post about one other thing.....
    HOW IN THE BLAZES (lol) WILL YOU GET OUT YOUR METAL ENERGY????? 12 of your trainers were dedicated to pokemon ONLY! That won't work at all.We need to get this straightened out.

-3 Fast Ball
    -3 Wally's Training! ahhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,
    -3 Moo-moo Milk

+1 Oracle
    +3 Forest Guardian (just because you're that type of person...:D)
    +2 Potion
    +2 Oran Berry
    +1 Town Volunteers

This is one of the strongest lists you'll see anywhere, look at dkates gojira, I did a fix there too, but in a different style, in case you don't like the way this one was done. Your version was just weak in searching power, nothing I couldn't fix! Here's the new list:

Pokemon: 21
    3 Onix (EX2)
    3 Steelix (EX2)
    4 Natu (EX2)
    4 Xatu (EX2)
    3 Wobbuffet (EX2)
    4 Wynaut (EX2)

Energy: 15
    8 Psychic
    4 Metal
    4 Rainbow

3 Master Ball
    3 FForest Guardian
    3 Elm's Training Method
    2 Oran Berry
    3 TV Reporter
    2 Potion
    3 Switch
    3 Oracle
    1 Volunteers

GET THAT ARTICLE UP!

Wooper

3. Baboon

Baboon New Member

Heh. Ok, about the Xatu, I know 4-4 is THE way to go, except I only have 3 Xatu, so until/unless I come across another, it'll have to be 4-3. I don't know about Wynaut either. I was considering it, but I personally like Dunsparce. Wynaut is quite nice, but keeps it as the Active Pokemon, making it a potential problem. Dunsparce is just "drop the Basics, get out of there". :p

As for Energy, the reason I'm running Fighting in addition to Rainbow is because I know I didn't include much in the field of finding Energy. True, it's no substitute, but that's just how I usually make decks.

And, as for Trainers, I'll consider your sort of engine. Seems like it could work. (If I had a third Oracle, I would definitely include it.)

And, for the article, well, whenever Magmar gets around to it. lol ;-p

4. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

I've always grouped you, dkates, and otaku together under the "weird draw/search engine" group on this board. Wally's Training? Help me, Lord.

Wooper

5. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

In this case, Baboonski all on his own for most of those Trainers. Yeah, sometimes I have my "Gambler" moments (which I still prefer to Elm, at least in Unlimited), but who realized Elm was a little sadistic control freak: me, amongst many others. It just never made sense to run a card that shut down all Trainers when decks were half or more Trainers.

Anyway, onto this deck. The Pokemon aren't too bad, but even in a Blaziken free zone, you need to have a little Water for protection... I usually run some AQ Suicune to douse the flames, but in a pinch SS Wailmer will do. Also, drop the Onix-Steelix line to 3-3: if the decks work, you'll only need 2 Steelix, max, and one's usually a sacrifice or cleaner. A third Sparce is also needed, and that fourth Xatu as well. Sparce is great for setting this thing up.

Moving onto Trainers, if you need more healing than te Xatu, you're screwing the deck up. Before I spend time commenting on those Trainers, I'll let you correct that mistake. :p

Your Energy is perfect: any lower and you hit critical shortages, any higher and you have to cut good stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.