Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

baby evo

Viva piñata

i have a weary question in one of the games i playing in just a couple of days ago i was playing a kid and i was using my flygon ex delta wich does sand damage in between turns wich does 10 to each basic on the bench and he was baby evo a elekid to electabuzz and said electabuzz wasnt a basic no even when it says on electa buzz that its abasic now did this kid cheat or is it true please help....

To tell if a Pokémon is a Basic - look under the card to see if a previous Stage or Baby is under it. If one is under it, then it is no longer a Basic Pokémon. In the cases of Happiny under Chansey or PIchu under Pikachu, they are considered "Evolved Basics" and do not get Sand Damaged.

Per what BJJ said, look under Electabuzz. Is there a previous stage under it?
Yep, it's got an Elekid.
So it's not consided a Basic for things like Sand Damage.

A Pokemon cannot be both evolved and basic at the same time. In this case, the "basic" that is printed on the card applies in most cases... except when it's an evolved Pokemon, i.e. when it's in play, placed on a Pokemon with Baby Evolution.

It's the same thing as Holon's Castform and Electrode, when attached as an energy, no longer being considered Pokemon for game effects.

Last edited:
When attacking a baby, do you still have to flip? I have read in a couple of places that "the Baby Rule" is no more, but then I read in the MT rulebook "Expert Rules" section under "In What Order Do You Attack?" subsection a) that if the defending Pokemon is a baby, you must flip to attack.

Which is right?

When attacking a baby, do you still have to flip? I have read in a couple of places that "the Baby Rule" is no more, but then I read in the MT rulebook "Expert Rules" section under "In What Order Do You Attack?" subsection a) that if the defending Pokemon is a baby, you must flip to attack.

Which is right?

You have to flip when you attack a baby pokemon.

HOWEVER... Is Elekid DP a baby pokemon (for example)? Read it, and you see that it says "Basic" pokemon. Not "Baby" pokemon. Thus attacks that don't work on babies would work on Elekid DP (and DF for that matter), AND you don't need to flip when you attack them. Additionally, you can't use Rare candy to jump from Elekid DP to Electivire SW.

Ah, interesting nuance! Are there any baby Pokemon in the current format? Or does the rule simply exist to be backwards-compatible with unlimited cards?

Also cool and interesting about the Elekid->Electivire evolution. I did not realize that, but it makes sense now after reading carefully.

Thanks!

Every "baby" since Ruby/Sapphire has been the Baby-Evolution no-flip kind. They are, for all intents and purposes, basic Pokemon with a special Poke-Power.

If someone still plays the old Neo Genesis-Skyridge babies, you must still flip for those.

To make it easy, every Baby Pokemon has the Baby Rule printed right on it.
No rule on the card, no flip.

Back