Ban Blaziken Ex: Save The Format

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Tyranitar666, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

Alright, with the new set actually released my fears have been confirmed. Blaziken EX. With Blaziken already dominating tournaments in a Feraligatr like fashion, the worst happened- A card to even further break the deck has been released. The deck was already nigh unbeatable and now this makes any counters to the deck ineffective. Wailord cannot OHKO it. Muk EX is one hit koed. PLUS whenever Blaziken EX is set up and you gain the upper hand at any point in time it becomes impossible to lose it. I have been testing it for about a month ever since I saw its proposed translation and it is BROKEN BEYOND BELIEF. I have even DIRECTLY MADE DECKS TO BEAT THE DECK AND STILL CANNOT DO IT. It is THAT BAD. I do not even put any focus on beating any other archetypes and devote all 60 cards to it and it STILL WINS. The game and format are screwed with this card. I think everyone knows I love cheese and archetypes but this is beyond belief. Anyone who wants to see the unbelievable brokeness of Blaziken Ampharos Rayquaza now, IM me and im up for a game of Apprentice. Ill prove it.

2. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO agree w/ u. Blaze EX is too Broken for Mod. IMO it's worse than Slowking! The only way you could possibly beat it is to TecH against it and do poorly vs everything else or Play it and take out the fun and skill of the game. It should be ban from Mod!
    -Swampy

3. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

It definatly is Broken, we already knew that. I was hoping that some of it was "Lost in Translation". Ok. That was a bad pun... Anyways, I don't know if it should be banned or not. If your gonna ban Blaziken ex, you may as well ban Gardevoir ex, Archie, Maxie, and both Team Aqua/Magma belts as well. It definatly IS broken. Will it do as well once the format changes? Probably not... Still, my point is that to ban one Broken card, you have to ban some others...

4. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

I agree that it would be best for the game to ban Blaziken EX.

It is a great addition to a deck that already is a little too dominant (because of the combination of cards that works really well together). One may say that it is easy for Gardevoir EX to one-hit knockout Blaziken EX because of weakness, but Blaziken EX just won't see play against a psychic deck because it is so simple for a Blaziken deck to have both Blaziken EX and Rayquaza EX as attackers without running out of room.

I don't think there are any other cards that are broken in the present environment, just cards that are difficult to play against. Gardevoir EX and Ampharos EX can at least be beaten by a number of decks and you can - probably - make decks that works well against standard Blaziken decks. It may be possible to make a fast Water/Ditto/Wobbuffet deck that stands a chance, but there is something wrong when even a deck made specifically to beat a Blaziken EX deck will struggle to win half of the games.

This opinion comes from someone who already has all the cards for a BAR deck and got a Blaziken EX in his booster box Saturday. I have the cards and I will probably not play it even if allowed to do so at states, there is no fun in playing a deck that is a lot better than other decks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  5. WeileMom

WeileMom New Member

There is still the small problem of getting the deck set up. I don't care how perfect it is, you still have to draw the right cards. Anyone who thinks that there will be no way to beat a Blaziken EX may be really surprised once the TM/TA cards start going into decks.
    ---Nicole
    WeileMom

6. GOROY

GOROY New Member

Even though Blaziken ex looks virtually unstoppable, anything is possible, Wobuffet and Shedinja come to mind, also I think that slowpoke in TmvsTa can use amnesia, but anyway, why didn't they ever ban Feraligatr? He is a stage 2, he cannot win the game alone, he can't do 100 every turn without help, like other Blazzies, and Blazzy ex is an ex after all, 2 prizes from him.

7. ilc

ilc New Member

Let's just ban any card capable of making a good deck :p We'll see how this card pans out when TMVSTA is released.

8. Hedgefoxidna

Hedgefoxidna New Member

Well let's see, Kingdra EX CAN kill it in one shot, however getting it out at same time Blaz EX is out is hard, thing is its pure luck, but Blaz EX is bending it towards itself a bit more, as it can simly knock out pokemon that are in the bench, which I guess renders most people's eletric decks useless, and can counter agaisnt psychic decks by killing gard, but we shall see, I'm trying very hard to make an Aqua deck that works, because I see alot of people using fire now, so pherhaps I'll succeed, but it'll be very hard indeed.

9. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

I'll agree that it is incredibly broken, but I don't think it's unbeatable. Gardy/Wobbuffet are something for Blazzy ex to look out for but BAR/Niniken/RAMBO still have an advantage over Gardy. I think that Slaking has an advantage over RAMBO/BAR/Niniken. Those decks rely greatly on powers, so if you shut them down they have to power everything up the old fashioned way. It slows it down a lot. Blazzy ex will take longer to power up and you can prepare for its attack. Slaking also doesn't loose to everything else like Muk does. You just gotta make it right.

10. dkates

dkates New Member

Sneasel and Slowking weren't unbeatable either, but each was broken enough to be banned from the Modified of their time. The question to consider before banning a card isn't "Is it unbeatable?" It's "Is it overpowered enough to ruin the format?" Gardevoir and Gardevoir ex were both a bit overpowered, especially when put together, but they weren't overpowered enough to ruin the format, so they've stayed. I wouldn't have voted for them to be banned, and I still feel that way. Rayquaza ex is debatable, but even it can be countered without having to devote a whole deck to it, so it stays. This card may or may not be powerful enough to deserve a ban. I'm not going to say whether it should or not, but I do think it's a good thing to consider.

11. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Just ban Blaziken RS, THAT is the broken thing =p

Anywho, i'm sure this'll be broken beyond belief. If t-tar's already gotten it to that point... and the set just NOW gets released, that is a problem.

Yeah, sure, Kingdra can ohko it. BIG DEAL. We're talking about the card in BAR here... where they can just send up a Rayquazza and pulverize the thing.

Give it a few weeks, we'll see what springs up. But if none of our minds can find something to beat it... then a ban SHOULD be very much considered...

12. I wish GardyEX had been baned.R/S Gardy could of stayed but then again BlazEX weakness is also (P) so You could try building GardyEX and Gardy to counter BlazeEX.

13. nikePK

nikePK New Member

gardevoir ex is NOT broken. Its just a good deck that's really really popular =|

14. Misdreavus

Misdreavus Member

Blaziken EX is an awesome card. but I do not believe that it should be considered broken. My reason for this is because it has a big problem with one of the major decks out there (which is HIGHLY played in my area): Gardy/ex. Sure, he can OHKO R/S Gardy but Gardy ex can KO him very easily (4 energies in play, at least 2 on Blaze ex, 2 extra is all you need). I also see Blaze ex seeing problems setting up. His attack forces 2 discard, and even if you keep him on the bench for a while and attach and Firestart him each turn, he will eventually be left sitting there for a turn, free to attack. The chances of building up multiple Blazikens and Blaziken exs is very small. The deck doesn't seem that fast, either. If you play Delcatty, you still have a problem of drawing the Delcatty, and then you will probably have problems having enough energy to attach as well as Firestarter each turn due to heavy discard from Energy Draw. Oracle can easily get Delcatty but I rarely find Oracle in my hand in Blaze decks. In the meantime, a deck like Gardy can get a very fast setup with Wynaut and probably murder Blaze ex. Although it doesn't get the fastest setups, Swampert/ex decks will probably kill him too. Kingdra ex, a fast deck, has a great chance against him too. Not to mention Muk ex... my friend and I built a speed Muk ex deck and it is absolutely crippling to Blaziken decks to have Energy Connect, Firestarter, and sometimes Energy Connect/Power Shift shut off. The Desert Shaman that we play also kills Blaziken decks' attempt to use Oracle without Catty. It's an awesome card, don't get me wrong, but I don't see it as "broken" due to its weakness to Water and Psychic. Weakness Guard helps but it can only save him for one turn (unless you have multiples in your hand), and Blaze decks run a large amount of Pokémon and certain trainers, making multiple Weakness Guards (4 seems necessary) into the deck.

I don't expect Blaze ex decks to completely dominate in tourneys the way Feraligatr did in Neo-on. Feraligatr players had a big advantage due to small amounts of Grass decks (I myself played Crobat to try to counter it, but did not have much luck) seen in Rocket-on tournaments. If he had been weak to Lightning like most Water Pokémon, it would have been a whole different story, with him suffering greatly to Rocket's Zapdos, which was heavily played. Blaziken ex seems to be in that situation with Gardy ex.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  15. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Well, you could ban Ampharos, and errata Manny and Claydol to only switching the energy to their respective teams XP

Seriously, I think that this is just what was needed to bring back Garde and Kingdra. Remember that Blaziken ex cannot take out either of them in a mere hit, yet they can vs it!

But, who knows? Let's give it time, and see how State Championships go. If it dominates the way Gatr did, then a ban may be worth considering come Nationals...

16. Geuss your right sigh...

17. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

i don't know, there are a few things that seem kinda off about blazy EX

first thing- it takes away a slot from a normal blaziken, and that's a very critical slot to lose...

second- kingdra EX can ohko it and a RAY with a boost and shard.....

third- delcatty, dunsparce, RAY, 2 Blaze, 1 Blaze Ex..... that would be a normal pokemon lineup, so it seems kinda tough to keep up a RAY and a Blaze Ex

fourth- torchic's are still the weakness of the deck, so a ko'd torchic isn't any good to a blaze Ex....

i agree that i think the translations should have been changed, but banning it seems a little overkill

18. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

I really don't think this makes things broken. Shouldn't it be less consistant than powering up a Rayquaza since your wasting a Torchic? Yes I know they will be played together but to get 1 Blaze ex your getting 1 less Blaziken which will either hurt or you've probably taken more time to already get 2 Blaziken. It makes Blaze decks better but I think they can still be beaten, just by less things perhaps. Turn 2 Muk Ex still will hurt a LOT. With Low Pressure System Muk Ex won't get ko'd by Blaze ex so that matchup doesn't get hurt a whole lot. Kingdra ex seems like the only Water deck that can still have the power to beat the whole deck. 2 Water + a boost beats Blaze ex. You can still Oracle for Shards against Quaza. Neither Kingdra ex or maybe more importantly Kindgra aq can't be ohko'd by Blaziken ex. You can load Water nrgs on to a safe Wobbuffet to Trans with Kingdra aq. You can still Nurse the 100 on Kindgra ex or Kingdra aq. Rayquaza will be the weapon for that battle and Kindgra CAN win that matchup. Blaziken ex does stop a lot of decks techs that they rely on to beat Blaziken. Namely, Shard does nothing versus Blaze ex. How many decks rely on ohkoing Quaza w/Shard to beat Blaziken better? A lot. Amphy ex, Aggron ex. My poor Aggron ex deck. Wailord cannot ohko Blaze ex. Maybe Archie/Walrein? Don't know. In short I think Blaze ex makes the deck stronger but not quite broken. I plan on trying Kingdra ex for this. The last deck that can maybe beat this and something else.

19. ToysRUsKid

ToysRUsKid Active Member

uhh, guys..

before you guys start saying blaziken ex is not broken, how about playing against it first? you guys are just assuming.

20. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

I believe this card should be banned.

If you think it is broken now..what about when Expedition-Skyridge are banned? It hurts Kingdra/Gardevoir which are the ONLY threats to Blaziken. I mean no Boost energy for either.. While those are hurt, Blaziken isn't at all.

I don't enjoy playing the decks that everyone else plays, but If I want to do well in this format I may have to if Blaziken isn't banned.

~Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.