Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Banned Cards

Here they are

1. Ancient Mew - This was a promo card that required you to decipher what it said. After a few weeks, WOTC announced what its stats were. The reason why it was banned was because it was made with a different language and not everyone knew what it did

2. Birthday Pikachu - Originally known as _______'s Pikachu (you enter your name), its attack, Birthday Surprise allowed you to flip a coin if it was your birthday. If it was heads, it would do 30 + 50 more damage. The reason why it was banned was obvious. People started lying about their birthdate, saying that the day of the tournament was their birthday. Basically, if their was a tournament that allowed the card in play, you better have your birth certificate ready :lol:

Yeah, those are only 2 cards released that are banned from unlimited

in limited, since cards are from pool in which you draw from, you are limited to those.....

In Modified.... any card not printed/reprinted in Expidition, Aquapolis, Skyridge, EX R/S, Sandstorm, Dragons, or a Nintendo Promo (only non reprints are Latios, Latias, Pikachu, Meowth, Kyogre EX, and Groudon EX)

PS Hey Arthos, you forgot the people who would put, Dark Misty's, Brocks, Lt Surges, Erika's, Sabrina's, Koga's, Giavonni's, Blaines, Shining Pikachu.

Last edited:
For a while, Sneasel and Slowking were banned from Modified, but the Neo Genesis set has rotated out of Modified, so there's no longer a need to ban them.

PokePop is right. I still have the pic of me next to the huge sneasel card with the banned at the STS stamp on it :D

Slowking was banned because many people found the sickest combos for it and it was so out of control wizards knew keeping it have a feraligator/slowking tournmant header and it wouldent be fun.
I knew from experience how bad slowking can be and how sick the combows were with it.

Im surprized with the new sets that banned cards havent popped up. I heard dragon was a sick set with some nasty attacking pokemon. :cool:

dragon may have pokemon with really good attacks, and so can sandstrom and RS but the fact that only 1 card doesnt domiante 99.99999999% of the tourneys doesnt make it worth banning, if that were the case, every big deck would be banned and we'd be playing with hariyama decks or plsule/minun decks lol

It's really amazing that the Pokemon-e Trading Card Game has become so perfect that the need for banned cards is inexistant. Especially compared to Magic or Yu-gi-oh.

If there ever was to be any banned cards from Modified it would have to be something that supports the either game to the player's advantage or be able to knock out any Pokemon (and I mean any Pokemon) in one turn. I haven't seen anything that creates such a stir in the game. Of course the third reason in the game is that the card requires information that can be deceived about, which is why Anceint Mew and ________'s Pikachu is banned from Unlimited.

Last edited:
Well, there are a lot of cards in Unlimited that might have been considered for banning if modified didn't exist for Premeire play. You can see that the Trainers have had a lot of limitations put on them over the years. If Base Set Trainers were still legal, I'm sure we'd see IF, CPU Search, SER, and a few others in a banned list.

yeah, these cards where so banned in Japan, the ones Pops mentioned, along with quite a few others.

Slowking should be banned in my opinion. There are plenty of ways around him, but it is a lot of tech for a card THAT SHOULD NOT EXIST. WOTC broke this card without a second thought. Why? To stop Haymakers. Did it work? NO!!!! Now haymakers just run Slowking to dominate even more....

Slowkings original, intended translation: When Slowking is active, if your opponent plays a trainer card, you may flip a coin, if heads, place that trainer card back on top of your opponents deck.

Wizards thinking was that changing this from "active" to in play would make things easier for non-hay players. Sounded good, but to allow its power to work for each in play was wrong! Shoulda had something simular to Amphy EX/Dark Amphy, where only 1 could work. a 50/50 at trainers still makes this card playable (even leaving the must be active text makes this playable, but not very), making it to where it is 6.75% non effective is just SICK. Though if you are using it, fun to play, still very sick....

Sneseal is almost as broken, but its need for 2 Specail NRG cards, 60 HP makes it not as broken. The need for a bench to do extra damage isnt a draw back, I mean when is having 6 Pokemon in play a cad thing anyways..... EX one is slightly more ballanced, but not much.....

I dare anyone to find a banned list from Japanese Pokemon TCG. It is pretty long, even Bill I believe was on that list....

How can they ban Bill? not even YGO banned Pot of Greed, which is the same thing, they only limited it. Magic didn't ban it from its "unlimited" format I believe. Why was Bill banned in Japan?

As I understand it, the 'banned' list in Japan has to do with their tournament deck construction rules, which say that only X number of 'points' can be in a deck. Powerful cards are given a 'point' value, and limiting the number of 'points' in a deck therefore limits the number of powerful cards allowed in any one deck...

'mom

Another reason for Ancient Mew's banning was the back of the card. If you didn't have card sleeves on your deck, you couldn't play Ancient Mew because of the whole card being much different than any other card ever released.

"Supporter" is the best thing that ever happened to the game. So many Base Set cards feel like they should have this word on it, like Professor Oak or Energy Removal. It might not have much effect on ER, what with the one-energy-per-turn rule anyway, but I'd sure feel happier...

Fascinating Fact 001: Magic's Base Set (Alpha/Beta) answer to Bill is probably Ancestral Recall, which is limited (restricted) in Unlimited(Type 1)(I can see a linguistic problem here).

So with this point system tyhe Japanese can't make a nearly invincible deck. That means if there
was ever another tournement where Japan and the USA met we might cream them.

bullados said:
How can they ban Bill? not even YGO banned Pot of Greed, which is the same thing, they only limited it. Magic didn't ban it from its "unlimited" format I believe. Why was Bill banned in Japan?

Bill is not banned. It's now a Supporter. (Japanese Black Star promo # 009/P

Back