BAR for CCs - need fixes

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by wilhung53, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilhung53

wilhung53 New Member

Alright, I've been building this deck for awhile. I've tested a lot of Modified decks in Apprentice. I believe BAR is the #1 deck. I know it does lose to Gardy/Buffet sometimes and Muk ex/Umbreon SK, but overall it has the highest winning percentage. It rips apart Ampharos ex, Kingdra ex, rogue decks in general (except Salamence and maybe Omastar), Sceptile Tech, and Metal Aggron ex. It is far from perfect, but here is my decklist for now:

BAR v. 1.0
    Pokemon (27):
    2 Torchic (Firebreathing)
    2 Torchic (Fireworks)
    2 Combusken (Flare)
    4 Blazkien (Firestarter)
    3 Rayquaza ex
    4 Dunsparce (Strike and Run)
    2 Mareep (Dragons)
    2 Flaafy (Dragons)
    2 Ampharos (Expedition)
    2 Skitty (Lullaby)
    2 Delcatty (Energy Draw)

Trainers (17):
    4 Oracle
    4 Rare Candy
    3 TV Reporter
    3 Prof. Oak's Research
    1 Copycat
    1 Fisherman
    1 Town Volunteers

Energies (16):
    12 Fire
    4 Lightning

This is very much Jermy's deck. I've seen enough BAR ideas to know that. I plan to attend CC's at San Diego and Diamond Bar. Until I have a better idea about the metagame, I can't put Tech cards yet.
    I honestly don't have all the cards on my decklist either. I have most of them, missing a couple (2) Dunsparces, Oracles, Mareeps, Flaafys, one more Blaziken, Rayquaza ex, and Fisherman. I will try to get them ASAP. If anyone knows the metagame within southern CA, please give me some ideas and fixes that will be appropriate.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  2. ~Blazi-King~

~Blazi-King~ New Member

I ran a version of BAR but without Amphy and magneton in its place.....i won cc Planeo, Tx with it ill give you the specs of min....seems to work more smoothly and faster than the true BAR

Here's mine .......( and it is tested) and wins against kingdra-ex, gardevoir-ex, and most importantly BAR and its variants 90% of the time and the % goes down rapidly against BAR and its variants.....

Pokemon 25

2 Rayquaza
    2 Dunsparce
    3 Skitty ( #44 r/s )
    3 Delcatty
    3 Magnemite ( #63 drg )
    3 Magneton (#17 drg )
    3 Torchic ( promo #17 )
    3 Combuskin ( flare )
    3 Blaziken ( firestarter )

Trainer 19

1 Town Volunteer
    3 Switch
    3 Hyper Potion
    3 Mr Briney's Compassion
    3 Oracle
    3 Desert Shaman
    3 Professor Oak's Research

Energy 16

4 Lightning
    12 Fire

in your i would most likely take out the amphy line jus becuz its hard to run 2 stage 2 evo lines and at least 1 RAYor maybe 2.....it looks to me as if your pokemon dont look consistant and thats what you need....another option is to take out 1 torchic 1 combusken and 1 blaziken and add one of each of the amphy line.....jus what ever suits you though....i know from experiance that BAR in my area is not as prominent as its variant which i run....anyways good luck at your CC...

3. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

Hey William, I think you should drop the Copycat for another Oaks Research, you could drop a Flaaffy for a 4th TV Reporter. (That is probably the best trainer line I think for this... 4 oracle, 4 oaks research and 4 tv reporter.) Also, change the skitty to the Sandstorm Double edge...cause if you run into a shedinja it will really help you. :) If you want to test play online, I'd be more than happy to help.

Edit- Also Warp point is really helpful in this deck... I think you should take out one Rare candy and run one Warp point in it's place. This can really help you if your opponent is setting up a plan... I can't tell you how many times I've ruined someones strategy with this.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  4. Scizor

Scizor New Member

Hey what's up, i'll be at the Diamond Bar CC, and i have heard there will be heavy blaziken and some gardy there, but expect a lot of rogue also, and keep in mind that the Bakersfield CC had 42 players which i thought was amazing, so i expect this event to have around 60 at least. No idea what i am going to play, but here is my current version of BAR, i'm sure T-Tar666 will add some ideas on here too, he's my playtest partner :p Anyway:

BAR
    4 Dunsparce
    4 Torchic (firebreathing)
    2 Combusken (double kick)
    4 Blaziken
    2 Mareep
    1 Flaafy
    2 Amphy
    2 Skitty
    2 Delcatty
    2 Rayquaza
    25 Pokemon

4 Rare Candy
    4 TV Reporter
    4 Oracle
    3 POR
    2 Switch
    1 Town Volunteers
    1 Crystal Shard
    19 Trainers

12 Fire
    4 Lightning
    16 Energy

I know running 1 Flaafy is sort of risky, but you don't need amphy up every game and it isn't that hard to oracle for. Switch is needed with Rayquaza to get back to the bench after your attack if you don't have amphy in play, and obviously for status effects. Crystal Shard is for other Rayquazas/Flygon/Salamence, etc. BAR is a very good deck, but loses to a well built and played Salamance, and Kingdra ex/Hariyama. Since there is supposed to be a fair amount of blaziken at the CC, i am considering playing Blaziken/Ninetales EXP because it gives you a prize advantage vs rayquaza and you run no exs.

Ninken
    4 Dunsparce
    4 Torchic
    2 Combusken
    4 Blaziken
    3 Vulpix
    3 Ninetales
    2 Skitty
    2 Delcatty
    24 Pokemon

4 Rare Candy
    4 Oracle
    4 TV Reporter
    3 POR
    1 Professor Elm's Training Method
    2 Switch
    1 High Pressure System (Make Ninetales have free retreat and blaziken 1)
    1 Town Volunteers
    20 Trainers

16 Fire Energy

Ninken is a very solid deck and IMO in the current metagame the best version of Blaziken. There are tons of others and none are really bad, but do what you want and good luck at the CC and i hope to see you there.

5. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

Yeah. BAR is one of the best decks to run. It covers water weakness well, and is just overall very consistant. There are many varients of Blaziken which are very effective. I think theres no definitive BEST yet as testing is so hard with so many varients, but BAR is easily one of the leading candidates.

Scizor- Kingdra EX Hariyama probably DOESNT beat BAR all too great. It helps the chances alot by adding Hariyama but if you dont get a quick game, BAR prolly beats you. Stupid Ampharos snagging 2 prizes off a Kingdra ;)

And yes, add a Warp Point. Do this change...

-1 Fisherman
    -1 Switch
    +1 Warp Point
    +1 TV Reporter

The extra draw helps you maintain a solid start every game, and the Warp Point is disruptive, and helps beat Muk EX, which is a major problem. It can also screw up mirror match turn 1 if you go first and force them to bench their Dunsparce. Of course, this also means they misplayed and didn't leave a lone Dunsparce ( It makes them think your hand is worse if you hold it, also hides what deck your using, and prevents any bench switching effects )

I would probably go with all Dragons Torchics for Shedninja myself. Its strong. As for the skitty though...that is debatable. I am a fan of the Minor Errand Running Skitty instead as it snags you 2 energy and gives you a nice set up in case your a bit low on energy, but your losing out on hit points and damage of its attack. I don't really know which is better. Try the Double Edge one just because it deals with Shedninja and can be more effective vs a Rayquaza.

This deck should do GREAT for you too. You up for an Apprentice game sometime? My IM address is Jvcbt, or TraptFan666. Give me an IM some time and we can play. It never hurts to get more experience playing against BAR.

6. wilhung53

wilhung53 New Member

I'm not sure if it's okay to bump this topic

Just wanted to present a revised decklist after playtesting, and hope to get more fixes - my CC is tomorrow at San Diego. Any metagame ideas are greatly appreciated. Need fixes before tomorrow.

BAR v. 2.0

Pokemon (27):
    4x Torchic (DR)
    2x Combusken (Flare)
    4x Blaziken (Firestarter)
    4x Dunsparce (Strike and Run)
    2x Skitty (Double Edge)
    2x Delcatty (Energy Draw)
    2x Mareep (Dragons - Jolt)
    2x Flaafy (Dragons - Lightning Ball)
    2x Ampharos (Expedition - Energy Connect)
    3x Rayquaza ex

Trainers (15):
    4x Oracle
    3x Prof. Oak's Research
    4x TV Reporter
    3x Rare Candy
    1x Town Volunteers
    1x Switch
    1x Warp Point

Energies (16):
    12x Fire
    4x Lightning

Any suggestions or fixes is appreciated. Thanks.

7. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan New Member

hey this is the best possible list

Pokemon (27):
    4x Torchic (DR)
    2x Combusken (Flare)
    4x Blaziken (Firestarter)
    4x Dunsparce (Strike and Run)
    2x Skitty (Double Edge)
    2x Delcatty (Energy Draw)
    2x Mareep (Dragons - Jolt)
    1x Flaafy (Dragons - Lightning Ball)
    2x Ampharos (Expedition - Energy Connect)
    3x Rayquaza ex

Trainers (15):
    4x Oracle
    4x Prof. Oak's Research
    4x TV Reporter
    4x Rare Candy
    1x Town Volunteers
    1x Warp Point

Energies (16):
    12x Fire
    4x Lightning

My fixes were small, but important imo. I did -1 flaffy +1 rare candy. Granted 1 flaffy is sorta weak but thats why I added the extra rare candy and in a deck that has 2 stage 2 evol lines. I think its needed.

I also dropped a switch for the POR because you shouldnt need switch if you get the amphy up and going so why waste the room on it? The Draw is better anyways ;x

8. lanturn1234

lanturn1234 New Member

I don't lnow why Bar players do this they put 4 lightning! First drop 2 fire for 2 lightning, secon scrap the ampharos 2 stage 2's is to slow add in 2 magma's elecktrike and 2 magma's manetric(holo) . Then drop 1 copy cat and 1 rare cady and 1 oracle for 1 more fisherman and 2 desert shaman for disruption and defence against gardevoir. Hope I helped.

9. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

That would be a quick way of getting DQ'ed at the CC, M&A is not allowed yet.

Most BAR decks play Rare Candy anyway, so the penalty of Ampharos being a stage-2 isn't that bad and it does have advantages when you need to one-hit KO one of the water EX Pokemon.

10. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

Tomorrow there is also a CC in El Segundo, CA; which is much closer to Los Angeles.

11. laritung

laritung New Member

Blaziken ex

What about Blaze ex -if you run into A Blaze ex deck aren't you giving away 2 prizes with Rayquaza on the bench- and manatrec it is much easier to set up than amphy

12. laritung

laritung New Member

Magma Aqua? illegal

Did I miss something ? I thought modified format is expedition on?

13. WeileMom

WeileMom New Member

Team Aqua/Team Magma aren't allowed in the City Championships since they didn't release until after they had begun. They will be allowed in States next month.
    So, yes..modified is Expedition on except for the Cities.
    ---Nicole
    WeileMom

PS Congrats William on placing 3rd in San Diego! Whatever you did to your deck worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.