Basic == non-evolved?

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Chairman Kaga, Sep 22, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

Okay, I'll admit I totally forgot about this ruling at league today, and let someone do it:

And I'm not disputing that ruling, although I do have to apologize to someone next week....

My question concerns the actual wording of Rare Candy:

It says "Basic Pokemon", not "non-evolved Pokemon". Are the two supposed to be synonymous? (And if so, where is that stated at? Rulebook? And don't you find that horribly confusing? :biggrin:)

2. mtjimmer

mtjimmer Master Trainer, Emeritus

There is a statement on the "Baby Evolution" Poke-Power: "This counts as evolving (Pichu)."

We're consistent in the rulings...if a Pokemon has evolved from another Pokemon, it's considered an Evolved Pokemon. (Even if says "Basic" in the upper left corner for DP or below the illustration in pre-DP.)

We're not saying Pikachu became a Stage 1 Pokemon - that's important for cards that check against Stage 2 Evolved Pokemon...a Raichu that has Pikachu and Pichu beneath it is not Stage 2!

3. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

It appears from the card text that Rare Candy is only checking for the Stage and not the Evolved status. However, we see from the ruling that you reference that the card text is not expressing all the checks that Rare Candy needs to perform its effect. The Pokemon must also NOT be evolved. This is something that players and judges just have to know from the rulings documents. This is especially important lately as I see people writing about impossible plays like:

In one turn: Happiny > Baby Evolution > Chansey > Rare Candy > Blissey

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

In actuallity, Rare Candy is just checking the evolution status, not the stage printed on the card.

For example, if you had used an Archie to put a Team Aqua Sealeo into play as a Basic, then you could Rare Candy that into Team Aqua Walreign.

Remember, there are two different meanings of "Basic". There is the card stage, as printed on the card, and there is the evo status. Rare Candy is only looking at the evo status and then looks for a valid, normal evolution path.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.