Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Battle Roads Spring (Vancouver, BC, Canada)

Bidier

Hello friends. I've confirmed the dates and venues for the Spring Battle Roads tournaments. All will have registration from 10-11am. The format has changed so there will only be swiss rounds, no top cut, 30 minute rounds plus 1,2,3. Prizing is still really light; Victory Cup trophy cards for 1-3 plus 4 boosters to first and second and 2 boosters for 3 & 4th place. There is no series promo card or promotional item that is given to all participants :0(

Website: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/tcg-battle-road-spring/

ADMISSION: FREE

May 18 , 2013 @ GameStars
Registration Starts: 10:00AM
Registration Ends: 11:00AM

https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/play-pokemon-tournaments/13-05-000638/

June 2, 2013 @ Craving for a Game

https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/play-pokemon-tournaments/13-06-000134/

June 15, 2013 @ The Connection Games

https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/play-pokemon-tournaments/13-06-000135/

* possible seats limit with pre-registration online and in-person
Pre-register: http://theconnectiongames.crystalco...mon_spring_battle_road_saturday_june_15th/431

***** PRIZE *****

1st Place: 4 Pokémon TCG booster packs + a Gold Victory Cup Trophy card
2nd Place: 4 Pokémon TCG booster packs + a Silver Victory Cup Trophy card
3rd Place: 2 Pokémon TCG booster packs + a Bronze Victory Cup Trophy card
4th Place: 2 Pokémon TCG booster packs

***** CHAMPIONSHIP POINT *****

Best Finish Limit: 6
Play! Points: 1

1st Place: 15
2nd Place: 12
3rd & 4ht Place: 10
5th - 8th Place: 6 (32 players)
9th - 12th Place: 4 (64 players)
13th - 16th Place: 2 (64 players)

***** ORGANIZER *****

***** USEFUL ADDRESS *****

Craving for a Game
Address: #2520 - 10153 King George Boulevard
Phone: (604) 580-2856

GameStars
Address: 19860 Langley Bypass
Phone: (604) 510-5148

T&N Games
Address: #102 - 2849 North Road
Phone: (604) 558-2211

The Connection Games & Comics
Address: 2945 Renfrew Street
Phone: (604) 327-4585

Magic Stronghold
Address: 5558 Lane Street
Phone: (604) 568-6030

Metropolis Comics & To
Address: 4735 Kingsway
Phone: (604) 435-4551

Wiser’s Wide World of Collectibles
Address: Unit B2 - 9640 201 Street
Phone: (604) 882-7616

Last edited:
IMPORTANT !!!!

Our first Battle Road on May 18 will have a NEW location. It will no longer be at Magic Stronghold Games. Once the new venue is confirmed, we will let you guys know.

Here is a link to the current deck list:

http://assets22.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tcg_champ_series/2013/battle_road_spr_decklist.pdf

It is also linked at the bottom of the BR FAQ on pokemon.com where players can get to it themselves.

---------- Post added 05/15/2013 at 01:05 PM ----------

Reminder !! Pre-register for Pokemon Spring Battle Road event on Saturday June 15, 2013. Seating is limited, but we will try to accomidate as many players as we can! Pre-registration is free, but please provide your Full Name, POP ID and date of birth in the comments section of your order. Please arrive at the event before 10:45am or you pre-registration may be forfeit. PLEASE SELECT 'CASH/MONEY ORDER' for payment option, so we don't have to charge you.

http://theconnectiongames.crystalco...t_registration-pokemon_spring_battle_road/431

Do we need print this out and fill it out beforehand or will lists be provided at the venue?

is a good idea to have it ready, it will speed up registration. but if you dont have one, there will be copies at the event for you to use.

Battle Road Langley (May 18)

Junior, 8 players, 3 rounds
1st: Dorian S. w/ Weavile
2nd: James L-Y. w/ Darkrai
3rd: Jesi P. w/ Darkrai
4th: Jaxson P. w/ Garbodor

Senior, 8 players, 3 rounds
1st: Samantha N. w/ Plasma
2nd: Connor C. w/ RayEel
3rd: Bradley K. w/ Big Basic
4th: April H. w/ Darkrai

Master, 34 players, 6 rounds
1st: Richard Gao w/ Darkrai
2nd: Hanseam Park w/ Accelgor
3rd: Daniel Nguyen w/ Plasma
4th: Chase Moloney w/ Darkrai

Last edited:
It was fun playing after a set release, and it was good to play with people out there!

However, not to be a jerk or anything, but if I hear another rumor, or anything that may have slip regarding people giving out wins to other people to boost up resistance, then I am considering letting Pokemon Organized Play know about this.

I know it is just a game, we are here to have fun, and its quite relaxed, but I can't help it that people with connection with head judges put discrepancies on the tournament, and I am not please with this.

If this can be fixed, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It was fun playing after a set release, and it was good to play with people out there!

However, not to be a jerk or anything, but if I hear another rumor, or anything that may have slip regarding people giving out wins to other people to boost up resistance, then I am considering letting Pokemon Organized Play know about this.

I know it is just a game, we are here to have fun, and its quite relaxed, but I can't help it that people with connection with head judges put discrepancies on the tournament, and I am not please with this.

There is nothing you can do if people voluntarily concede. Letting POP know wouldnt do anything IMO. as long as there was no bribery involved or the outcome was not determined by random means.
10.1. Conceding a Match
Players may concede a match to their opponents if they wish, and judges should allow players
the opportunity to offer a concession if time is called on an incomplete match but before the
players sign their match slip. Once the match slip has been signed by both players, the result of
the match cannot be changed.
If a player wishes to concede a match to his or her opponent, a judge or score runner must be
called immediate

I don't understand what you're trying to get at? You're talking about resistance and connections to the head judge? If the head judge is paying players under the table or bribing them with packs to concede to another player then fine I completely agree that you should report that to PoP. However, if one person conceded the round before out of his own free will and decided the next round that he's going to play it out for whatever reason then that's his choice. If you're angry that you didn't get top 4 or win then let me assure you it has nothing to do with these people. You win some, you lose some. If you want to play a card game and win more frequently, then better yourself at it. There's no need to be calling out other players and especially the head judge who's only intention is to run a clean and fun tournament.

PN0iB0i21 said:

FirestormXVI said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but players are allowed to concede before the match slip is signed for any reason as long as a bribe is not involved. I watched a kid play out his entire Top 16 Match at Worlds LCQ and then concede before signing his match slip so that his opponent would make it through instead of him and he could go play in the VGC LCQ instead -- all in front of an Organized Play associate

Though honestly I'm surprised this is an issue in BC. The only person that it makes any amount of sense to scoop to is Karl as he's the only one who can theoretically get enough CP to lower his Nationals win level (only needs Top 8 instead of Top 4 if he gets 50 CP from BRs).

As long as people aren't pressuring others into scooping, I don't see the issue here.

PN0iB0i21 said:
Not like I am being such baby about this, but I do hear things about something being worked out underneath during the game...that's between players...and I think that's unfair for everyone (which ruins othe player's resistance). Also, I have not been playing the game for a while, and I do my best at this game. However, I have noticed that winners of past events have always been the same...Whether they are 1st or 2nd or top four...Even though there's a change in the meta game...I have never seen anybody different who has a chance at winning this game...I mean, do i need to know certain connections before I get better at this game, or this is just something you cannot do alone or with other players in this community??

FirestormXVI said:
I might be understanding you wrong, but it sounds like you're accusing the judging staff of manipulating matchups. Your "evidence" seems to be the fact that tournaments produce consistent results and rumours from unnamed sources.

Rumours seem unfounded. Matchups are random. Your resistance will usually be lower if you lose early on in the tournament. That's how Swiss works. The first two rounds can be extremely volatile due to that and that's why a larger cut is optimal with the amount of swiss rounds we normally have. It's unfortunately that TPCi mandates top cut size limits.

The same players placing high at tournaments is good. That means the tournament structure is producing consistent results and putting the best players at the top. A tournament isn't supposed to make everyone a winner. A change in metagame doesn't change who the best players are. The core skills are the same. How else would Jay Hornung qualify for the World Championships 10 times? How else would Jason Klaczynski win the World Championships in two different years? This isn't unique to the TCG. Aaron Zheng and Wolfe Glick: 2 years in a row as National Champion in their respective divisions. Ray Rizzo has won the World Championships 3 years in a row and Zack Droegkamp has won 3 Regionals in a row. The only thing that changes from set release to set release is card pool.

Do you need certain connections to get better at this game? No. Can you get better alone? No. The only way to get better in any competitive game is to play better opponents and improve yourself. You can't look at a game and say "I lost because I drew dead." or "I lost because they drew great." You make multiple decisions every turn that change the outcome of a match. Look at what decisions you made and what you could have done differently to increase your odds of winning.

I'm not the best player in this game. I usually whiff cut either on resistance or by one win. But honestly? That's the level of player I am. My deckbuilding isn't to a high enough level and I don't bounce my ideas off as many people as I should. I am lazy with my decision-making when I test which gives me bad habits when I play in a tournament. I can think of many misplays that have cost me games. I've played great players and I've noticed what I need to improve on. Now having the commitment to do so is another story...

Overall, I'm really disappointed to see that you think there is a conspiracy and publicly posted that on the Gym without talking to anyone about it. Sandy, Bidier, Jasmine, Charles, and everyone else who helps out during events are awesome people who do a lot to keep Organized Play in the lower mainland fun for all players. Their welcoming attitude is a big reason why I kept coming back to events after my first local tournament (props to Mark who has done an incredible job growing the game in Victoria for convincing me to go to that first tournament). Your slanderous post represents our staff (and area) in a really crappy light and I'd personally recommend removing that part of it. I have friends who play in other parts of North America (and Europe) who have staff that they do complain about with regards to both game knowledge and, more importantly, attitude. That's something I just have never come across in BC.

PN0iB0i21 said:
I apologize to have a unsportsmanlike attitude, but I state what I see and not what people say. Someone brought an interesting point at the Pokegym, that there some debate regarding conceding between two players who are friends. I am not saying that I am the best, but there is a growing concern here...you point regarding players who became champions happens to be playing for for quite some time now...I only started two years ago. I also do not want you to think I am bashing any of the organizers...Yes they are good at what they do and I give them credit for it. But you have to understand it in my position. Someone told me at the end of BR last Saturday, "You don't need points..." I said to him, "Speak for yourself! You have an invite to worlds already!" This may not mean anything to you...but I try my best to win some games and then someone says that...that's very discouraging!

FirestormXVI said:
There was a discussion online recently about scooping, yes. However, like that post said "it is certainly legal under POP guidelines." Now, if someone pressured you to scoop because you aren't in contention for an invite, I do think that's wrong and you should tell that person they shouldn't do that.

However, what it sounds like happened is you were disappointed you were one spot away from gaining CP and someone -- who based on your information is actually someone who doesn't believe in scooping either -- said you don't need CP. He's right. Neither you nor he needs the CP from Battle Roads. As I mentioned earlier, there's literally one person in the entire province (in the Masters division) that needs CP from Battle Roads. I'm going to be trying my best at the next Battle Roads because I enjoy the game. You should too. Doesn't change the fact that neither of us needs the CP at this point!

None of this has to do with the judges who you, whether you intended to or not, threw under the bus in that post. PokeGym is a great forum and TPCi reads it and it is the only site that has an easy to access, timely, event information.

Just thought there was some important info that was not present in the forum that I feel was important to the topic.

Last edited:
This is incredibly disappointing.

In a span of about 3 posts, a disgruntled tournament participant has questioned the integrity of the Head Judge/Tournament Organizer, slandered some of the most accomplished players in the province, and threatened to report to POP for what he perceives to be unethical (but not illegal) actions without any undeniable evidence of wrongdoing.

I doubt harm was intended to anyone but this is poor spirit of the game. To prevent animosity at future events, retracting said accusations and apologizing to the offended parties are definitely in order.

Pnoiboy21 the same people win because they are good players. Have you ever watched a competitive sport on tv? Your argument about new players not winning is like saying "why dont grandmothers enter the NHL? Why is it always the young fit guys that win?". It is because they play well.

If you win all of your games you'll do well, resistance only matters if you lose. So chill out. Not to mention this is pokemon AND it's battle roads, the smallest tournament of them all in a pretty casual game..

Battle Road Surrey (June 2nd)

Junior, 23 players, 5 rounds
1st: Dorian S. w/ Plasma
2nd: James L-Y. w/ Darkrai
3rd: Rocco M. w/ Hydreigon
4th: Jesi P. w/ Darkrai

Senior, 15 players, 4 rounds
1st: Joey G. w/ Blastoise
2nd: Bradley K. w/ Plasma
3rd: April H. w/ Accelgor
4th: Erik H. w/ Weavile

Master, 53 players, 6 rounds