Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Beckett or PSA

EXdarkrai01

Which one is better to get your cards graded, BGS or PSA. I know that BGS is far stricter on there grades (BGS 10 is way harder to make than PSA 10 from what I understand). I'm looking into getting some cards graded at some point and need to know which is the better option?

Which one is better to get your cards graded, BGS or PSA. I know that BGS is far stricter on there grades (BGS 10 is way harder to make than PSA 10 from what I understand). I'm looking into getting some cards graded at some point and need to know which is the better option?

I would go with BGS if you're looking to Grade cards to add your collection as they Sub-Grade though its hard to get BGS 10 most Gem Mint Cards get a 9.5. If your looking to grade cards for resale I suggest you get your cards graded by PSA as they sell a lot better then BGS. PSA 10s always sell better then BGS 9.5 despite the cards be exactly the same condition or in some cases the BGS is better.

Hope that helps :)

PSA is the better choice for resale as PSA has always been the more popular grading service for Pokemon cards. I agree with DarkPersian in that, for collection purposes, you should go with BGS, as a BGS 10 tends to be a lot better than a PSA 10 when it comes to condition.

I personally choose Beckett. Mostly due to not having to pay a yearly membership. They are an honest company and care about their customers. They respond to your eMails and correct any errors free of charge. They appreciate your business.

In my opinion...

Benefits of Beckett:
Sub-Grades
No membership required
BGS 10 is extremely treasured
In my opinion, their cases are very displayable with silver/gold labels

Benefits of PSA:
Most popular company
Good pop report
Slabs are smaller, easier to store

Each company has negatives also.

PSA 10s always sell better then BGS 9.5 despite the cards be exactly the same condition or in some cases the BGS is better.
:nonono::nonono::nonono: My signature.
9.5 is lower than 10. It's basic math.

Last edited:
If you want to resell definitely go PSA, as they resell much quicker and for higher prices.
I personally would go for PSA when grading, even for collection, but that's just personal preference.

We need a mod to go find all of the previous ones, combine them, and then sticky it haha

The last post was over 30 days ago so merging wouldn't be good. Plus this topic has a more descriptive title.

Why don't we worry more about what's inside the case instead of the case were trying putting the card in?

Unless you're trying to resell the card it doesn't matter if you use PSA, BGS, SGC, GAI or whoever, besides most people know if there card is in mint condition or not despite what the number on the case says.

Of course it matters whether your selling or not!

Lets say your collecting your prize 1st Ed base charizard and have it graded by sgc and it gets a 9....you'll never let it go! Wrong!!!
Next year you have the opportunity to snag a PSA 10 and now you need to sell the 9 in order to afford it. Now you sell your sgc 9 and only get 500.00 instead of 1000.00.

Or say you have a gai 10 but now a great trophy card comes up and you want to sell the gai 10. Now you get 2000.00 instead of 4000.00.

In other words, don't waste your money...use PSA exclusively..it'll pay off in the long run!

IMO...

Nice post Gary! I was just going to give you the old " thanks" button but felt I should type it out. Those examples illustrate the benefits of using PSA very well.

PSA is also the most used in sports cards. That may be a perspective to look at when deciding which is better or which you want to invest your money in.

Last edited:
Of course it matters whether your selling or not!

Lets say your collecting your prize 1st Ed base charizard and have it graded by sgc and it gets a 9....you'll never let it go! Wrong!!!
Next year you have the opportunity to snag a PSA 10 and now you need to sell the 9 in order to afford it. Now you sell your sgc 9 and only get 500.00 instead of 1000.00.

Or say you have a gai 10 but now a great trophy card comes up and you want to sell the gai 10. Now you get 2000.00 instead of 4000.00.

In other words, don't waste your money...use PSA exclusively..it'll pay off in the long run!

IMO...

Good Points! People will always buy the higher number Grade even if the Card is in lesser condition. I have seen plenty of PSA 10s sell for 25% or even higher compared to sgc 9.5 even if the PSA 10 has a small imperfection while all the sgc I have seen have looked flawless.

Since the OP never stated that it was their intention to sell/upgrade the cards he/she grades, I would not be so quick to assume this is his/her intent.

Choosing which grading system you prefer, if you are choosing for your personal collection, is always going to be subjective, period. A good analogy for this would be like choosing which grocery store to shop in. All of them offer the same goods, it just comes down to personal preference as to which you will shop at (pricing is also a factor). Grading cards is no different; each company offers the same service, but it is up to you which to choose.

If you are in the market to sell, then PSA is going to be #1, as others have already clearly pointed out. However, if you are grading cards and plan on keeping them, then which company you choose is up to you. As others have also said before, both companies have their pros and cons. Beckett has higher grading standards, but PSA is the more popular company.

In the Pokemon side of card grading, PSA is chosen more often than Beckett.

Yeah I was looking to sell. Ive somehow pulled 3 shiny charizards and considered getting them graded. I was considered getting it BGS because PSA is ridiculously expensive if your not a member, but I may just not mess with it since you probably won't be able to sell a PSA 10 one for over 100$ for at least 5 years anyways

Yeah I was looking to sell. Ive somehow pulled 3 shiny charizards and considered getting them graded. I was considered getting it BGS because PSA is ridiculously expensive if your not a member, but I may just not mess with it since you probably won't be able to sell a PSA 10 one for over 100$ for at least 5 years anyways

depends what Charizard do you have? most PSA 10 Charizards will go for over $100 easy.

Are they tough to sell when they are graded? I just dont want to be stuck wih them, but I guess PSA10 ones would move quickly I suppose. They are Plasma Storm btw

Are they tough to sell when they are graded? I just dont want to be stuck wih them, but I guess PSA10 ones would move quickly I suppose. They are Plasma Storm btw

Plasma Storm Charizard would easily go for over $100 if its PSA 10 its been selling for $50-$60 ungraded recently and not at all graded cards sell well as long as you have it for a fair price you won't have any trouble selling it.

Back