Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Bliss: Erik Nance's City Championship Reports

eriknance

Report by: Erik Nance
Deck(s): HappyCat (Blissey/Delcatty)
Event: Greensboro, NC City Championship
Format: Modified (HP-on)

*Note: this is a report of my third City Championship. My reports for the first two are taking awhile to complete, but they should be posted on here before the end of the week, whereupon I will label this thread as “Updated.”

The entire week leading up to this tournament found me deciding between BlissCat and something else (Empoleon perhaps), simply because I figured people would be metagaming against the Bliss like crazy. I had an Empoleon/Dugtrio (flips anyone?) deck ready to go in case I decided to abandon BlissCat, but I finally decided to go with the same deck that had won me two City Championships so far.

Greensboro, NC City Championship

I got to Lucky’s Card Shop with plenty of time left before registration closed, which meant that I could hang around and relax a bit before having to play. I spent my time helping a newcomer to the game build a deck that wasn’t completely atrocious (all he had with him was a Dragon Frontiers theme deck). Mike R. (supertyranitar) helped as well, which was cool. I noticed that we had a pretty good crowd at this one as well; this was particularly good since it was the first City Championship at Lucky’s Card Shop.

(5 round with a top cut of 4)

Round 1: BlissCat vs. Kevin S. (Rogue Dewgong/Octillery)

Kevin’s a great guy who is always nice when I play him. He was apparently born in the same place in Canada that my girlfriend Paige was born in (small world I guess). He starts with a Seel and passes after playing an energy. I have a very nice T2 Blissey possibility after playing a Holon Mentor to get out some Basic Pokemon. After Kevin evolves to Dewgong I get out Blissey after using “Energy Draw” from a Delcatty. I hit for 40 and it’s his go. He plays a Remoraid to the bench and then uses a PlusPower to hit me for 70 with an added sleep effect. I get a bit worried after his Dewgong stays asleep since Dewgong’s Poke-Body reduces 40 damage with this special condition, but Kevin’s Dewgong continues to sleep after my turn is over with. I KO the Dewgong with no problem and then take the game soon afterwards.

1-0

Round 2: BlissCat vs. Brad E. (Rogue Bronzong/Bastiodon/Skarmory ex)

Brad’s a guy who worked at the now closed DJ’s Card Shop in High Point (either that or he was friends with people who worked there), and it’s also his first tournament ever. He had a very interesting deck that looks good on paper, but it had a hard time setting up. After getting an early KO on a Bronzor Brad sent up his Skarmory ex’s to do some damage. Since I always had a Blissey ready on the bench to hit hard I never had to retreat, completely nullifying Skarmory ex’s awesome Poke-Body. I took out two Skarmory ex’s before using a Boost Energy, a PlusPower, and a Strength Charm to KO a Shieldon reducing 30 damage for the win. Brad was a great sport and I offered him some advice and told him to visit this forum for help as well.

2-0

Round 3: BlissCat vs. Adam W. (Gardevoir/Gallade)

Up until we started Adam was talking about how he was going lose with such a horrible hand. I had two Chansey to start with and a really great hand, so I was optimistic about winning against a near-autoloss (I was 2-1 against this deck up to this point, so I knew I could pull out a victory). I go first and attach an energy then pass. Adam draws and goes, “Oh wow, that was a topdeck and a half.” My worst nightmare comes true as he uses a Rare Candy to jump up to a Gallade, then attaches a Double Rainbow Energy and uses Sonic Blade for 50 on my Chansey. I suddenly have a flashback of when I played Tatiana M. and she got a second turn Gardevoir Lv.X against me. What is it with Gardevoir decks and unbelievable starts? Nonetheless, I have to come back the entire game. I sacrificed a ton of stuff and finally get a Delcatty ex up to KO that dumb Gallade (at this point Adam only had 2 prizes left – I had 5). Adam sends up a Mr. Mime to stall, and it works. For some reason I simply can’t get any energy in my hand (even though my deck had over 15 and I had just used “Upstream”), so I take Mr. Mime’s “Trick Play” attack for 3 turns. I guess right twice and wrong once, putting Mr. Mime at 40 damage and Delcatty ex at 50. I finally get something set up and run through 3 more of Adam’s Pokemon after winning a Team Galactic’s Wager, putting us at a tie. Unfortunately, Adam has the win after using Stantler’s “Lead” attack to get a Celio’s Network, grabbing him a Kirlia and the chance to KO my Delcatty ex on the bench for his last two prizes. Though I wish I would have won (it would have been best comeback ever), I’m still glad we had an awesome game. Thanks Adam and great job!

2-1

Round 4: BlissCat vs. Josh R. (Lucario/Kingdra ex)

Josh was playing an interesting combo that seemed to be all about beating up on Blissey. I crossed my fingers and prayed for a Holon Energy FF or two going into this game. Josh starts off by hitting my Skitty for 20 and sleep from a Horsea. I use a Holon Mentor and discard a Scramble Energy to get some stuff out and then pass after putting a Fire Energy on my active Skitty. Josh is a good player and, upon seeing my Scramble Energy in the discard pile, decides to pass after evolving into a Seadra (even though he had the KO). I give him a nod and say, “Good play,” as I definitely had another Scramble with a Blissey and a Strength Charm in my hand ready to take the win. I continue to get set up while Josh gets out a Kingdra ex or two. After I take down the first Kingdra ex Josh sends up a Lucario and is unable to KO my Blissey. He leaves me with 120 damage after using “Feint,” and I get a OHKO on his Lucario. Things kind of wind down afterwards, as it’s taking Josh too long to set up his Kingdra ex’s against my Blissey, and I reserve a heavy-hitting “Upstream” for whenever I need to take that last prize. He tries stalling by putting my active Blissey to sleep with a Horsea, but he can’t avoid the inevitable. I play two Super Scoop Up and get a heads on the second one, sending up my Delcatty ex to “Upstream” for the victory. Good game Josh!

3-1

Round 5: BlissCat vs. Brian L. (Quicketune)

Out of everything that I expected to see at City Championships, I didn’t really expect Quicketune. Not because it isn’t powerful or anything, but with so many good deck choices out there right now, I don’t understand the logic behind picking a deck that is, in my opinion, mediocre at best. This wasn’t a problem to me, but the rest of the details were. I sit down with Brian already upset. He mutters something about how I’ve got him beat once again, so I just tell him there aren’t any autolosses and he shouldn’t count himself out just yet. He continues to talk, saying, “I’m not suggesting you should just concede to me without playing, but you do kind of owe me a win after knocking me out of the top cut at Fort Mill and Greensboro, and then keeping me from top-cutting at Mooresville.” I couldn’t really believe what I was hearing – once again, he was trying to weasel his way into a win. I mean, I have beat him a few times in tournaments, but I've never been disrespectful or arrogant to him. I know Brian takes this game a bit too seriously sometimes, but he was becoming very disrespectful. He showed a poor attitude as we got started by scoffing at the couple of plays I made and generally acting like he had already lost. Unfortunately, I didn’t get much at all and he KO’d a Skitty on the second turn, then KO’d a Blissey on the 4th. Good game? :nonono:

(3-2)

After this Brian’s attitude lightens up. He’s willing to give me a hug and actually talk to me, but I wasn’t really convinced. I gave him my congratulations and wished him luck in the top cut, but I kind of wanted to leave. Seeing such poor sportsmanship doesn’t really make my day, and I was kind of getting a loss rubbed in my face, so I decided to head out. Big mistake...

Apparently, I made it into the top cut going 3-2, but I was already in my car headed for church. Brian called me but I didn’t get my phone in time. He left a message saying that I was in the cut and that if I could get to Lucky’s in 10 minutes I’d be fine to go. I called him about two minutes later but never got in touch with him. I was already on my way back when he sent me a text message saying that Jeff had to drop me. Since Brian couldn’t get in touch with me Jeff had to go on with the tournament. This was totally understandable, and I didn’t really want people waiting on me anyway. I was a bit upset that I didn’t get the chance to play in the top cut since I would have made it to Lucky’s in 10 minutes easy, but it gave me the chance to go to church and enjoy a nice holiday dinner with friends and family. So all in all, it turned out fine.

I have a final note to add. I understand what it’s like to do poorly in tournaments – I’ve been there before. For all of my accomplishments, there still stands my poor performance in the last season. I didn’t win a single tournament, I had horrible luck with great decks that I built, and I missed top cuts on multiple occasions. However, the person who ends up poor isn’t the person who does bad in a tournament – this is all beside the main idea behind the Pokemon TCG, to have fun. The person who is rich is the one who plays in a tournament and has fun no matter what. For all of my losses last season, I still had fun. That’s what matters to me, and I think it is that same idea that should matter to every person who plays this game. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself doubting your ability to win, or you’ll end up putting more emphasis on a win than whether or not you had fun. Of course, I have fun by competing as well, but when a loss or two means that you can’t still enjoy the game, something’s wrong. I’m not trying to single anyone out with this, I’m just simply stating what it is that I love about this game. Win or lose, it should maintain the fun factor.

Also, a big thanks to Jeff, Toni, and Josh W. for their help in running the tournaments. We should never just take things for granted, so when you get the chance (and if you’ve followed my report to this point), let your Tournament Organizers/judges/etc. know how much you appreciate them. I appreciate Jeff, Toni, and everyone else for running the smoothest tournaments I’ve ever been to.

Props:

– no more BlissCat?
– the awesome performance of a good Stage 2 deck once again (Gardevoir/Gallade), hopefully pointing to the return of decks that require setup.
– winning the grand prize in the raffle (12 packs of Secret Wonders cards) and pulling a Honchkrow Lv.X for Paige!!!
– getting the chance to help out a few new players.
– Guitar Hero 3.
– holiday dinner at church. Mmmm...
– again, the judges and organizers for their awesome work.

Slops:

– no more BlissCat?
– poor SOTG.
– my brother not being able to play (he just got out of surgery Friday for work on his knee).
– the new Absol, I don't like that card. :frown:

Erik ...

Wow.

Thank you for writing this report. I love the detail and nuance of your battle reports. You and your brother are great folks and some of the best examples of good SOTG that I can think of off the top of my head. It made me sad to read what happened. I feel really bad for you and I'm very sorry this happened.

I hope to play against you again soon and hopefully we will both have better days.

Last edited:
GJ Nance.
dude trust me, getting bad stuff in a tournament and not top cutting has nothing to do with the quality of player u are. (even tho people are stuck up and seem to think stuff like that all the time)
its not like you lose skill just cuz u dont win in a tournament..
in my area, (espiecially when a new set with good cards comes out) it often has a lot to do with who happens to own the best cards at the right time. and course, there is Always Luck and matchups involved.
sportsmanship is truly the most important thing, and the hardest to master.
there are times when I've gotten Really ticked off at a loss, then I look at some other people, and they lose in the most annoying way possible and still, they're extremely well mannered and good sported about it.
those are the kind of people I have the most respect for in this game.

-ian b

... I sit down with Brian already upset. He mutters something about how I’ve got him beat once again, so I just tell him there aren’t any autolosses and he shouldn’t count himself out just yet. He continues to talk, saying, “I’m not suggesting you should just concede to me without playing, but you do kind of owe me a win after knocking me out of the top cut at Fort Mill and Greensboro, and then keeping me from top-cutting at Mooresville.” I couldn’t really believe what I was hearing – once again, he was trying to weasel his way into a win. I mean, I have beat him a few times in tournaments, but I've never been disrespectful or arrogant to him. I know Brian takes this game a bit too seriously sometimes, but he was becoming very disrespectful. He showed a poor attitude as we got started by scoffing at the couple of plays I made and generally acting like he had already lost....
(

I remember that day in Mooresville, right after he lost he took a seat, he started pouting and was close to tears. My 10 year daughter asked what was wrong and I told her he was a sore loser and that is not the way to act when you lose. We laughed because she went 1-2 and I went 1-3 (really 2-2 :wink::lol:) and had a good time there. Right after I went to Brian and said "It's just a game"......

btw you are not even close to being disrespectful or arrogant.

Erik I am very sorry this happened. Toni mentioned she thought something like this happened after you left. I had a feeling when I saw Michael B. lose that you might make the cut. I was hoping that when Brian called he would reach you first hand. Not knowing when you might get the VM I had to go ahead and drop you. I completely understand you wanting to leave right after that happened.

I totally agree that there are some players that just take this game way too seriously. As I continue to tell my kids there is MUCH more to this game than winning. It is MORE important to have fun and show SOTG with every one you play than it is about winning. As I mentioned before you are one of the most gracious players I have seen and really show SOTG all the time no matter who you play and how you do. You really understand that it is more important to have fun than it is to win all the time. Sure winning is great but it is how you handle yourself when you lose and especially when you are having "one of those days" (i.e. like I did at VA States with 2-4 record).

Also thanks for the continued support and providing additional door prizes. It is really appreciated!!!
Don't let one player spoil it for you as there will always be those types. I can only hope that one day they really understand what is more important. Look forward to seeing you soon!!!

Erik: Tough break on the top cut, but you show tremendous class. One of my favorite report writers.

Also loved the part about referring a player to the Gym!

Agrees with Pop.

Erik, you sir are a class act all the way. Your brother too.

And both of you sure can play!!

Good for you ;)

Erik - Great report and details I love it!! Look on the bright side had you stayed for the Top Cut and lost you would have went 3-3 on the day and lost more points.

Erik - Great report and details I love it!! Look on the bright side had you stayed for the Top Cut and lost you would have went 3-3 on the day and lost more points.

I would think he did receive a loss for that top cut match because he was a no-show and the top cut had already been figured.

Either way,bad beat and way to show sotg.

The only thing I want for Christmas is Erik and Kevin...lol

Great report, as usual. You should write a book or something...:p

Brian is emotional, but I still love 'em. I'm so sorry he had to ruin your day though.

Energetic
Raised Well
Intellegent
Kid

That's what you are, ERIK!

Erik, you're still my hero man. I'm sorry it didn't work out for ya, but ya did your best. There's only so much one can do. I wish Brian hadn't done that, it really wasn't right. Very detailed, very thorough, VERY great report! It was nice seeing you.

Last edited:
The only thing I want for Christmas is Erik and Kevin...lol

Brian is emotional, but I still love 'em. I'm so sorry he had to ruin your day though.

Energetic
Raised Well
Intellegent
Kid

That's what you are, ERIK!

Hey Matt, I would have never guessed :wink:

We all love ya too!:lol::biggrin::confused::thumb::smile::wink:

PS See ya in Asheville.

Good report. I would'nt have gone with blisscat becuase of all the fighting pokemon going around.

Hope to play with you more on Xbox live.

Erik: Nice report. As always, very thorough and well thought. Sorry your day had to end on a sour note. As you said, you know Brian and how he can get. Both you and your brother have great SotG and sportsmanship. On top of that, you both play a mean game of pokemon! I always look forward to seeing what you are running bc I know the deck will be well built and efficient. Look forward to seeing you in the near future. I hear there is a little double header this weekend in Sevierville and Asheville. :rolleyes:

Keith

your one of the most polite and repectful players i know aside from how well you play the game. nothing but props from me on how you handle yourself.

-spaz

To everyone - Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot. :smile:

vanderbilt_grad - Wasn't last Saturday the first time I've ever played you in a tournament? You've done a great job at getting the hang of this game in such a short amount of time. It's probably all of that practice with your family. Also, a couple of unfortunate incidents is nothing compared to all the joy being a part of this game has brought me, so it's all good. I look forward to playing you again as well.

ChicoBlanco - What you said about sportsmanship is true -- it's very hard to master. There have been moments in this game where I found myself having a hard time keeping it together. At the Worlds Championship in 2006, for instance, I lost my cool a bit when I was blatantly stalled out by an opponent in the Swiss (I think Lawman can attest to my anger, as he was watching from the sidelines). It all comes down to control I suppose. There are tons of things we as players can't control (T2 "Skill Hack" anyone?), but the one thing we can always control is ourselves. And I agree, it's always nice to see this in action.

bugsbite - Yeah, that was a really tough loss for Brian. It took me a third of my deck to finally get an energy and I still made a crazy comeback to win. I still don't think he acted right about it, but it was tough to say the least. It was good getting the chance to meet you in person by the way. It's always nice to put a face with a name (or in this case, a username). You going to any CC's anytime soon?

Feraligatr - There's no need to apologize, seriously. You did exactly what I've continued to respect you for -- you kept the tournament running smoothly. Everyone would have been waiting on me otherwise, which would have been lame. Thanks again for the kind words. Yeah, SOTG is more than just a suggestion on how a person should act after playing a game, it's kind of a foundation for the way a person should approach the game entirely. In the official Pokemon TCG rules it's the first thing that's mentioned, and that's how it should be treated (SOTG should come first). I don't think you ever told me what happened at the Virginia States -- I've heard horror stories about Pokemon players and their bad days (Burt's participation in the 2005 World Championship comes first to my mind).

PokePop - I've actually been referring a lot of players to the 'Gym. Hopefully I'll get feedback on what those players think when I see them again at a tournament or something. But yeah, being a part of this forum was one of the best ways for me to get started with this game, and I hope others can have a similar experience.

... I'll respond to everyone else when I get the chance. :smile:

Eric, I think that the only time I've played you before Moorseville was in a pre-release or two. As I recall you wiped me out then too! :thumb:

Back