Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BR Tournament Report

PMysterious

Hey everyone, I'm Preston Pearce. A player from Arkansas. Today is September 1st, 2012. Today was also a day where I went to a Battle Roads in Hot Springs. The night before, I got a Dragons Exalted booster box for an early birthday gift. (which is on September 3rd.) I pulled 2 Rayquaza EX (1 full art, 1 normal), Registeel EX, Shiny Serperior, and 2 good Hydriegon. But that's not the point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But, at the time, I decided to put those Rayquaza EXs to use in a Rayeels deck that I made the night before. When I put it in the Decklist Program, it said I was in the Masters Division. On top of that, I texted the League Leader about it and she said I am in the Masters Division now. I knew I had to keep my mind set if I wanted to go for the gold being my first day as a Master. Well, I woke up around 8, left around 10, and got to the place at 11:30. I turned in my decklist and I after I got my deck back, I was ready to go. The tournament was 5 rounds with no Top Cut at all. It was fine to me, but since I am in the Masters division, I really have to keep my game going. Especially since there were 21 of them at the tournament. Let's start off with Round 1. (Keep in mind I never tested the deck before then.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I just realized I forgot to put down my deck list. Well, if any netdecker wants to see my list, here it is.
Pokemon: 16
2x Rayquaza EX
3x Eelektrik (Dynamotor)
3x Tynamo (Charge Beam)
1x Zekrom EX
1x Raikou EX
1x Mewtwo EX
2x Zekrom
2x Thundurus
1x Terrakion

Trainers: 29
4x Professor Juniper
4x N
3x Cheren
2x Ultra Ball
4x Level Ball
2x Random Receiver
2x Tool Scrapper
4x Pokemon Catcher
2x Switch
2x Skyarrow Bridge

Energy: 15
4x Prism
11x Lightning
Round 1: VS Groudon, Terrakion, and Stunfisk

A deck which mine had a natural disadvantage against due to type and I worried since it was my first game in the Masters Division. I knew I only had 1 Pokemon that could win me the game, and I had 2 of it. He started Stunfisk and I started Zekrom. He took out an Eelektrik early on, but I was able to get my Rayquaza EX and all the energy I needed to knock out 2 Stunfisk, a Groudon EX, and a Terrakion EX to take all 6 prizes.

1-0
Round 2: VS Gardevoir/Gothetelle

This deck is one that I've never seen before and wanted to see it get going. However, she couldn't get anything going as my Mewtwo EX did some work with her KOing an Eelektrik, and a Zekrom. She was an interesting player and I really hope to play her again.

2-0
Round 3: VS Zekeels

You can kinda say this is a mirror match except not really. He had better Dynamotor control but I had better attacker control. I had 2 prizes remaining while he had 1 and he had a Zekrom EX in KO range to my Mewtwo. He said that I might get the Catcher and guess what? I got the Pokemon Catcher to KO his Zekrom EX to steal the win. I also had a Professor Juniper just in case.

3-0

Fun Fact: I was originally going up against a ChompTaria player, but the pairings got switched for some reason.
Lunch Break: I relaxed finding out there were 2 other 3-0 players and I knew I was gonna play one of them. I played a round of Pokemon Conquest with someone that was there and I had a good time. The Juniors and Seniors were also getting celebrated and a friend of mine actually got 1st place for Seniors. (Yes, he is on the Gym. Don't be afraid to reveal yourself to everyone.) And everything went fine. Around 3:15, Round 4 started and so did the intensity.
Round 4: VS Chomptaria

I was not looking forward to this match at all. I knew that I had to rely on my other Pokmeon to win the game. It was a really close game and I felt I was going to lose that one. However, he needed one thing. Pokemon Catcher was needed to take out my Rayquaza EX I had on the bench. However, even though he played Cheren, he did not get the Catcher. I then got the Rayquaza EX loaded to do 360 damage knocking out his last Garchomp getting my last prize.

4-0

Fun Fact: The Catcher that he needed was prized at that time.
All right, the Final Round is up and I was going in as the only undefeated player in the room. If I won my next match, I would win my first Tournament in the Masters Division. I felt super nervous inside and all I asked for was a fun game to end me with the gold. However, things are not always what they seem.
Round 5 (Final Round): VS Terrakion, Mewtwo, and Bouffalant

This was a fun game but with a devastating outcome in the end. His 1st Round opponent actually dropped from the tournament. So, I thought I had a chance of winning the whole thing no matter what happened.

Anyway, he started Mewtwo and used X-Ball after Catchering up my Zekrom EX to deal 40 off the gate. After I took out that Mewtwo, he used Terrakion EX to KO most of my guys and I got defeated with 3 prizes remaining on my side of the field.

4-1
Afterward, the irony happened. You guessed it, I got 2nd and the guy that defeated me in the final round took 1st. I was confused at first and I still am, but it is what it is. When I got my 4 packs, I pulled (guess) now.
Another Rayquaza EX

And everyone else pulled crud.
Overall, I was happy with my performance and surprised as well for being my first tournament in the Masters Division as I felt like I was gonna go 2-3 or 1-4. But, 4-1 was what it was. With my performance and my pulls out of the packs, I got 1st place in my eyes even though I got second.
Well, I hope you like this report and I hope I do well in future tournaments to come. I'll be in the Sherwood BRs if you wanna meet me in person by any chance.

This is PMysterious (Preston Pearce) signing off. :thumb:

Last edited:
Good job PM. It is my first year in masters too, so you doing good is a good sign for me. :thumb:

Fun fact- I am giong to call you PPP in werewolf.

Please get rid of those hashes. I can't read anything...

Way to go, Preston!! You did an excellent job yesterday, especially for your first event in Masters!! We're all so proud of you and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season turns out for you. :D

Back