Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BT's Origins Report! Controversy over, back on topic please.

Wow, nationals was awesome, except for a few things. Here's my origins report, starting on thursday.
-----
Thursday
Well, I had to work today, so we didn't get on the road until 4:30. We stopped at a cracker barrel against my will, and so we ended up getting to origins at 9:30, where we found out that our room was still being cleaned because someone checked out late...
Anyways, I went over to the convention hall, but there weren't many people left over there. I decided to go back to the room and sleep, but I didn't end up getting to sleep until 1:00 because the people in the room next to ours were playing Beatles songs, including that one that says "Here comes the sun". I later realized the irony of that lyric being played at that time of day. Now, if that wasn't enough, I woke up at 4:00 AM to hear teletubbies on the TV in the room on the other side of us. I don't even want to know what was up with that.
-----
Friday
Alright, so I went down to the convention center around 8-ish and met up with Jeff M. (UzumakiNaruto201) and Brian (ShukuenShinobi). Soon after I met up with Bobby (PenguinMaster), Mike (SuperTyrannitar), Sharffy (APT), Tati (Charyu), Elissa (CleffaGirl), TJ (ShadowZangoose), and Matt (I dunno what his PokeGym name is...). We all hung out for a while, and then modified started...
In round one I beat Elissa, in round two I lost to some kid who's name I forgot...Then a group of us went to the exhibition hall during lunch break, and bobby got some pink sleeves...I got a Deoxys gift box for demoing the game, and it had nothing good in it...I then lost rounds three and four to randoms I didn't know, but I think one of em got t16 at nats on saturday...then in round 5 I beat Curran, who was the 10- world champion if I remember correctly...and then in round 6 my opponent was a no-show. I got 17th with my 3-3 record, so I was one spot short of prizes...:(. I went to go buy a box of the Futhest Ends of Offense and Defense from the booth that was selling them, and I pulled a Rayquaza ex, a Kingdra ex, a Flygon ex, two Latias exes, and a Charizard Star. I went back to get a gardevoir deck but they were sold out. I wanted to go to dinner with Bobby and some of the other people but couldn't due to not being able to reach my dad on his cell phone...and then I went to Ricky's room instead to celebrate his birthday with his family, dan's family, sean, and derek. That was fun, except for the fact that I was the pinata :(
-----
Saturday
I met up with some people and then got in the registration line for nats before it got long...good thing I had filled out my decklist friday night. I played Burning Liability. Nationals didn't start until 11:30...hmmm, that seems to be a bit of a trend over the past three years...=/
-
Round 1 vs Andy M. (ShiftryMaster68)
Burning Liability
I got a t1 Pidgeot, but he got a pidgeot out pretty fast too. We took turns killing eachother...one thing I remember is that I liabilitied and he knocked himself out with his own burning aura...I know that I was going to win, but I quick searched for one of two cards I needed to win: Either my last Typhlosion, or a Holon Farmer to get a Typhlosion back.
Guess what? THEY WERE MY TWO REMAINING PRIZES. Due to this, I lost.
0-1
-
Round 2 vs Bobby M. (PenguinMaster)
LBS
He got a crap start but admined and got a godly one...I lost miserably, I tried to buy time to get set up using Cyndaquil's Paralyzing Gaze and Quilava's Smokescreen...now, his last move was quite amazing, He had a paralzyed or smokescreened or SOMETHING steelix active, and I had a quilava active and a koffing benched. He threw down a Latias * and rain-trode-rain'd it, he then WARP POINTed, sending up Latias * and my Koffing. He OHKO'd koffing for the game. I found that quite funny.
0-2
-
Now, I had heard that the booth was getting more Furthest Ends boxes, so I went to go buy another one, but just as I got there, someone (I believe it was bangiras, the translator) was buying the last one :(...
-
Round 3 vs Jimmy A.
Draggross
I got a full setup and he didn't not much more too it. I OBLITERATED him.
1-2
-
Now, before Round 4 (or maybe it was 3 or 5 or something...dunno), we all had to fill out surveys about nationals. APT felt like he was in school again...now, I must say, dan had the absolute BEST answers ever. Why did you play in nationals? To be a Pokemon Master! What is the best prize? Dignity and honor! What do you like best about Pokemon? Me winning! XD
-
Round 4 vs Rachel B.
Some random Grass/Psychic deck
No clue how this person even got one win, there was absolutely no structure or strategy to this deck. I got a t2 pidgeot and got three fully powered typhlosions, and I obliterated her.
2-2
-
Round 5 vs Jake B.
LBS
I was losing almost all game...it was really close, we each had one prize left, and I had his Lugia asleep. If it stayed asleep, I'd win, but he got a heads on the sleep roll...:(
2-3
-
Round 6 vs Andy M. (Different one then Round 1...o_O)
Grumpig/Metagross/Fossils
My god the Grumpig bounceback for fossil is ANNOYING. I got pidgeot out really late, and he had a LOT of fossils, but I got three typhlosions powered and managed to kill everything. He never got a metagross out, but showed me his hand, and there was a metagross there.
3-3
-
Round 7 vs Matt S.
Arcanine
We both got crappy starts...he got a Lunatone/Solrock out, so I couldn't use Pidgeot. We took turns killing stuff, and when it got down to 2-1 prizes left (he had one, I had two), I had to rely on Quilava's smokescreen to buy me the time needed to get Typhlosion. I somehow managed to successfully smoke his arcanine Three turns in a row. I then evolved into typhlosion and KO'd his arcanine for the game.
4-3
-
Ok, now standings went up, and I was rather mad at what I placed.
Fifty First.
Normally, I'd understand. I was only 4-3. That's about right. But there was something else about this exact number...
It's the exact place I got at worlds in 2005 with a 5-3 record.
>______<
Well, at least Bobby, Dave, Pam, and Twitchy all made top cut...
-
So, now me, dan, bobby, tati, elissa, ttar, and matt hung out for a few hours after nats ended. It was AMAZING...highlights include Matt eating a Psychic Energy and barfing, and some completely random kid running up and smacking matt in the face with a pokemon frizbee or w/e those things were. Matt nicknamed this kid the "Demon Baby". There were several memorable quotes, unfortunately, the most memorable cannot be said here.
-----
Sunday
Alright, so now we all hung out some more...this time Jeff V. joined the group...Pam, Twitchy, and Jeff (who was 7-0 in swiss) all lost in the t16...Pam didn't get a trip, because bobby was the ONLY 11-14 in t16 with a trip that moved on to t8. Dave and Bobby both moved on to t8, so that was good. During the t8, or t4, or something, the demon baby returned and began chasing Matt as if he wanted to kill him...XD...it was AMAZING. Then a group of us went to the exhibit hall again, and me and tati beat dan and elissa in a double battle...we accidentally left some little 10- kid that was with us at the Pokemon demo area while we explored...XD...haha. Bobby and Dave both made it to t4, and then to t2. Bobby won the t2 and won nationals, so he had achieved dan's goal: To be a POKEMON MASTER! Now we watched Dave's game. He lost the first one...now, in the second one, he had a banette up against Andrew's lone latias *. Dave attacked for what he thought was 90 damage and a KO, but he forgot resistance. He had already begun to scoop his prizes up because he thought he won, when they realized that there was resistance. The judges original ruling was that it would be a mere prize penalty due to this mistake, but then Andrew's dad, who happened to be Meganium45, came up and talked to them. Now, Meganium45 is usually a judge at these big events, but was not a judge at this nationals. He talked to the judges and told them that the penalty should not be a prize penalty but rather a complete game loss, which would mean dave would lose the entire match. Now, to the dismay of many people, the judges accepted Vince's suggestion and changed the penalty to a game loss. I'll cover my feelings on this in the Props/Slops section.
So now we played in a modified...I lost round one to a rocklock, and after round one the demon baby returned, this time chasing matt AND jeff...it was even more hilarious. In round 2 my opponent was a no-show, after round 2 the demon baby attacked matt and jeff again...XD...in round three I beat a draggross, and in round 4 APT was my opponent and didn't show up. Bobby sat next to me in round 4, and his opponent was playing a Flygon d/Exeggutor d/Gyarados d/Golduck d....MAGIKRAP FTW!!!
With a 3-1 record I got 6th place and got 9 packs of HP...total crap in em. It was now time to leave... :(.
-----
PROPS:
-Bobby, Dan, Tati, Elissa, Matt, Ttar, APT, SZ, Jeff V, and whoever else was in the group for being awesome.
-Pink Sleeves FTW
-The Demon Baby for being the most insane little kid EVER
-Jeff M. for almost beating whoever it was...I already forgot...but he continues to beat things and people he shouldn't with his ridiculous Sunflora thing.
-Collector's Cache for having Furthest Ends boxes
-The memorable quotes, except for the mean ones directed at me...>_<
-Matt's Switchcomb, for actually being able to stab someone...XD
-MAGIKRAP FTW
-Dave for almost winning nationals...that's the second time someone in their family has been unfairly donked out of winning a huge tournament.
-The retarded Burger King Song
-Chuck Norris
-Bobby for being a POKEMAN MASTERRRRRRR!

SLOPS:
-Beatles Music being played at 12-1 AM
-Teletubbies on TV from 4-5 AM
-Collector's Cache for running out of Furthest Ends boxes and decks
-Live Action Roleplay Chess for not being there this year
-All quotes directed at me about a certain thing, as well as whoever said them. If you were in the group, you know what I'm talking about.
-The people that had trips already but lost in t16, it's your fault my friend didn't get a trip :(
-That Pablo kid for beating my friend in t16 and somehow making t2 with some supposedly bad list for queendom
-FIFTY FIRST PLACE
-And lastly, the biggest slop...Meganium45. I mean you no disrespect, I am just utterly appauled by what took place. Parents should have no right to tell judges that they should change their ruling, especially on a game that their child is playing in. Judges rulings should not be challenged by non-judges. I understand you are usually a judge, but you were NOT at this particular tournament. In my opinion, what you did should not have been allowed, and the penalty should have been a mere prize penalty as originally ruled by the judges. It's ten and under for crying out loud. If it was 11-14 or 15+, I can see the penalty being a game loss. But ten and under? An auto game loss penalty is almost 100% of the time translated into an Auto Make-A-Little-Kid-Cry. Again, I mean no disrespect, I just do not agree with what happened.
-----
I prolly forgot some props and slops...ah well.
See you all at worlds!

Last edited:
Memories like these are rare, Lucky for us we just happened to have like 20 a day for 2 days straight. Our group was amazing. Matt is truly my new hero.

mystereeman101 said:
Memories like these are rare, Lucky for us we just happened to have like 20 a day for 2 days straight. Our group was amazing. Matt is truly my new hero.

I dunno, I think the Demon Baby is my hero more then Matt is. XD

Your group was missing 1 key player... GL at worlds, maybe I'll c you next year at nats if my parents finally let me go... I'd love to meet ya.. =x

Wow....
I hope Vince gets to read this.
That should NOT have taken place.
Why was a parent talking to a judge in the first place? A PTO of all people should know not to interfere.

SHENNANIGANS!

Last edited:
Poliwag92 said:
I want to hear Vince's side of the story first.

Yknow, I'd like to hear his side as well.
Dave's my friend, so I naturally took his side, but I wouldn't mind hearing all the exact reasoning and such for the other side...

yeah well Dave is my brother and was kinda depressed after that match but im not mad at anyone. I can totally see where vince is coming from with staying consistant and the importance of that match. I would have done the same thing in that position. And again no bad feelings towards anyone. Im very proud of my brother for getting as far as he did and overcomeing plenty of very hard matchups. I just told him he went 1-1 in the finals because he had the 2nd game.

Last edited:
T2 my bro gets a game loss in game 2 with Vinces son up one game. My bro had game 2 but made one mistake. Read the report for more details.

mystereeman-Yeah...I suppose consistancy has quite a bit to do with it...

fchangus-dude, did you even read the report? I explained what happened.

So, Vince comes in and convinces the Judges that his own kid deserves the Nats Title because the opponent forgot Resistance?

Burninating_Torchic said:
The judges original ruling was that it would be a mere prize penalty due to this mistake, but then Andrew's dad, who happened to be Meganium45, came up and talked to them. Now, Meganium45 is usually a judge at these big events, but was not a judge at this nationals. He talked to the judges and told them that the penalty should not be a prize penalty but rather a complete game loss, which would mean dave would lose the entire match.
Isn't there like an area for the single elimination players to play that is cut off from the rest of the area? That is, a place that spectators are not allowed to walk into?

When I went to Rockville GC, I walked past some of the single elimination games and then a judge told me I couldn't be in that area (I don't think that's a good idea, but I assume they did that just because it was that's the way they do it at Nationals). If there was such an area at Nationals, a spectator would not have walked up to the match.

If what BT says is true, well, I think M45 would have better judgement than that, but that's really bad if it's true. I am interested in hearing M45's side of the story.

Flaming Spinach - Kind of...it wasn't due to forgetting resistance, it was due to Dave scooping up all his prizes because he thought he won.

ninetales - correct, there is an area, but people are allowed to spectate from right outside the lines. M45 was on that sideline and heard about the dispute, as many other people did. With his judging experience, combined with hearing what was going on, he then went to the judges and debated that...at least, that's my understanding...

well there was a point wher a judge wnet to the end of that barrier and was calling other judges to ask about what should happen. That was prolly vinces only chance so he asked what happened and voiced his opinion like every other person who watched the game. He took advantage of the moment and tried to explain what he thinks and why. So really in the end it doesnt matter that much becuz i think the judges might have made the same desicion.

Last edited:
It is the HJ's call only on a game loss at any time. From the pics, I saw Rocketman judging, and he usually gets one of the HJ spots. If he was HJ, then he would make the call, NOT Vince. I hope Vince didnt talk to the judges bc he was a player @ Nats (plus, his son was in the finals). Vince is usually pretty strict about keeping spectators away at his big tourneys. Since he would only be a spectator, he should be back a bit. I would imagine he asked what happened, then let the JUDGES, mainly the HJ, make the call. Again, Vince has done this for a loooooooong time, I highly doubt he suggested the penalty. JMHO

Keith

if you read the report the judges decision was the prize penalty but after talking to Vince they changed it to a loss. He had no right to do that....

lol, Nice bt, that was awesome when i came up with "Demon Baby"

That was awesome, the entire tourney was hilarious, great memories dude, hopefully mom will let me grind my way into worlds.

lol, Its pretty funny to know that im Dan's hero though.

God it was a great tourney.

Tom

Back