Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Burnaby BC City Championships Report

MGS-58

Going into the last City Chamiponships here in British Columbia, I was pretty set on playing Blastoise/Keldeo or a Landorus Variant, the variants being either Landorus/Mewtwo or Landorus/Mewtwo/Tornadus. I felt like Landorus/Mewtwo was a better deck overall compared to the Tornadus version with more space to tech in things, but a T1 blow through with Tornadus EX is probably the best play vs Blastoise Keldeo, which Landorus/Mewtwo has trouble dealing with. I expected a lot of Landorus on that day so I ended playing Blastoise/Keldeo since turn 2 blastoise with an attacking Keldeo is pretty good I hear :p. Prior to the tournament my friend Cor gave me the Lugia deckbox I ordered online so I was pretty psyched out about that. Even better was the fact that my other friend Connor had come back from Japan having bought tons of Japanese Pokemon Sleeves and was so gracious as to give me a complete set of Lugia Sleeves :D. With matching sleeves/deckbox I boldly claim “I have to win now ;)”. Anyways enough rambling and on to the tournament report:

Round 1 vs James Haran w/ RayEels
James is a friend of mine and it sucks that we have to play round 1 :(. This game was really stupid I recall with him playing a supporter and not drawing anything afterwards. I got a blastoise keldeo up and rolling and swept. Obligated “it was the sleeves” post for my boy Connor ;).1-0

Round 2 vs Kabir Virji w/ Landorus Mewtwo Boufallant
Kabir is another friend of mine so unfortunately I have to play two friends in two subsequent rounds. I think I go first with him missing 2 energy attachments in the first few turns of the game. I got a strong start with t2 blastoise and him whiffing those energy attachments basically costing him the game. I got the first attack off and he wasn't able to find any of his healing cards so I took the game quite easily. Obligated “it was the sleeves” post for my boy Connor ;). 2-0

Round 3 vs Hanseam Park w/ Darkrai Hydreigon
Sam won our last cities beating me in the top 8 and he was playing the same deck with a couple of changes, including adding in Kyurem EX and prisms to deal with Landorus. In this game I was able to get a quick toise up and kill his deinos before they evolved. He attached all his energy to Kyurem EX and was not really able to pressure my board. I knew he didn't run Shaymin EX so once I ko'ed his Mewtwo a giant Keldeo EX can easily sweep his field which is what happened. Obligated “it was the sleeves” post for my boy Connor ;), 3-0

Round 4 vs Rushan Shekar w/ Garbodor/Landorus
….I didn't play tool scrapper so I was pretty sure I was going to lose this game. My gameplan initially was to get a quick blastoise up ko'ing his garbodors allowing me to use deluge. However things do not go as planned with him going first and getting a t2 garbodor with a tool on it, leaving me to manually attach for the rest of the game. I was able to ko one of his mewtwos with my mewtwo and one of his landorus ex with my keldeo ex. At that point he had a boufallant ready to go with an eviolite with me having no way to one shot it. We were tied at 2 prizes left each and my keldeo ex with energy on it was badly damaged. I was forced to play ssu in order to pick up my active keldeo ex and promote a blastoise hoping to wall him for a few turns while I Pokemon Center and attach energy to my keldeo in order to one shot his boufallant as he had no other attackers on board. If I had not hit the ssu heads I probably would have lost (I flipped 1-2/10 heads on that day, but I hit the one I really needed YOLO XD). He had used up all his catchers so he was forced into hitting my blastoise for a 3 hit knockout. I was forced to Juniper late in the game leaving me with 2 cards in deck in order to hit the energies needed for me to one shot his boufallant. At this point he misplays by ko'ing my blastoise as opposed to just passing and winning by deckout so I was able to get the fifth energy on keldeo ex and ko bouffalant followed by a garbodor the next turn for game. Great Match! Obligated “it was the sleeves” post for my boy Connor ;), 4-0

Round 5 vs Karl Angeles w/ Landorus/Tornadus/Mewtwo/Boufallant

Karl has not been playing much this season but has had big successes in the past with Regionals wins amongst other accomplishments. The last time we faced off I played him in the top 16 of Spring Regionals and was able to pull off the win in a close Eel mirror. This game was not eventful as I was “living the dream” with T1 beach two squirtles energy attachment on keldeo aka ALL THE THINGS. He whiffed an energy attachment and I got t2 blastoise keldeo attacking so again I won fairly easily. Sorry for how boring my games were but blastoise is pretty yolo so lol. Obligated “it was the sleeves” post for my boy Connor ;). 5-0

Round 6 vs David Finelli w/ RayEels
Being that we were both 5-0 at this point guarrenteeing we are both in the top cut David scooped to me in the last round to take a break and go to the washroom. Obligated “it was the sleeves” post for my boy Connor ;). 6-0

Going in as the first seed I was going to have a rematch with Kabir who I played in round 2. With me going X-0 and his other opponents having good records he was able to squeak in as the lone 4-2 at 8th seed :).

Note: All my topcut matches were recorded by my friends youtube channels TheTeamBTCG and Mr.ScaryMuffin respectively. In the interest of not spoiling the results for possible viewers I will not continue further into my report until the videos are posted.

The links to the youtube channels are:
http://www.youtube.com/user/theteambtcg
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrscarymuffin

The TL:DR of this report is basically I played Blastoise, I YOLOed harder, faster, stronger than my opponents. Drew everything I needed and dominated my way into top 8 where I YOLOed some more ;). Thanks for reading my report!

Props: The Crew
Sandy for doing a great job of hosting the event (and Bidier too I'm guessing)
Jasmine + Charles + Murray for providing great judging throughout the day.
Shoutout to my friend Connor for getting me DEM SLEEVES. Could not have done it without them :p.
My friend Matthew Koo for testing with me the night before when I had no idea what to play. Congrats on pretty having your world's invite already!
Korean food afterward.
Ran pretty darn hot.

Last edited:
Great Game Ricky. Yeah, I'd looked at your deck the turn before and it was too much for me to deckout, but I had a brain fart once my turn rolled around again and I forgot you Juniper'd. I figured I lost and just attacked for the loss. Should have paid more attention!

See you in Salem!

Back