Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

CAC Contest: A little old, and a little new.

Squirtle007

Hey. Welcome back to another contest.

Choose a type of Pokemon (Color). You will create three cards from this color.

Card A: A Pokemon that debuted in Pokemon Red/Blue.
Card B: A Pokemon that debuted in Pokemon Gold/Silver.
Card C: A Pokemon that debuted in Pokemon Ruby/ Sapphire.

All Pokemon may not have Prefixes (Suffixes are another thing). Pokemon may have up to three attacks/powers (although only one power is allowed). Include Picture description and Flavor Text. After I grade your cards, i will give you the option of sending in 3 new cards, but your old scores will be erased.

Scale

(for each card)

Name/HP/Type 6
Attacks/Powers 18
W/R/RC 6
Flavor Text 5
Picture 5
Strategy/Combos 5
Originality/ Subjective Grading 5

Top three will be allowed to enter the final round.

Contest ends after 15 entries, or at 7:00EST on September 21.

Good Luck.

RBY:

Gyarados
110 HP
Type: Water
Weakness: Lightning
Resistance: Fighting -30
Retreat: [CC]
Rarity: Rare-Holographic

Picture: Gyarados, floating in mid-air slightly above a lake, with Magikarp splashing around him, in a traditional "snake" posture, facing up and to the left, towards the silhouette of Dragonite, Lugia, and Ho-oh, looking like its roaring. A couple Tauros in the background appear to be baying in response. A forest is behind the Tauros, and several mountains are behind the forest.

Pokemon Power: "Dragon's Ancient Rage"
If Gyarados is damaged, place 1 damage counter on the Pokemon that damaged Gyarados. If Gyarados was damaged from a pokemon power, trainer card, or effect of a previous attack, then place 1 damage counter on your Opponent's Active Pokemon.

[WWLC] Hydro Thunder Pump 50+
if the Defending Pokemon's Weakness is (L), this attack does 50 damage plus 50 damage.

Flavor Text: Gyarados is well-known for it's ability to harness electrical energy, although it is unknown how it is able to do so.

Explination:
On Gyarados, for the Weakness, I thought that was completely misrepresented on prior cards, and I wanted to get it right for once, considering that it is a partial Flying-type. The resistance to Fighting is because of the partial Flying-type, as all Flying types in the TCG have that resistance. They also share a relatively low retreat cost, and I wanted Gyarados to reflect that, even though a 2 retreat cost isn't exactly low, it is for the Gyarados line. The PokePOWER was ment to try and use the nature of Gyarados first instilled in the Anime, where Gyarados is a powerful, but extremely angry, Pokemon. The angrier it gets, the more damage it tends to do. The attack was to try and incorporate the Thunderbolting Gyarados that I so loved using in the Game Boy games to the standard Power Gyarados. IN the game, I would use Surf and Thunderbolt to try and keep my opponent on their toes, and I want to see no less from Gyarados. In essence, it is a 2-type Pokemon with only one weakness. Gyarados, I believe, has amazing defense and special defense in the GB Game, along with fairly good HP. I don't think that any Gyarados card in the past has given Gyarados any respect in terms of those two facts, so I gave this guy the Steelix treatment, at least in terms of HP. In short, it is a beast against both Fire AND Water type decks.

Strategy for Gyarados:
I wanted to try and get a Lightning-Water deck running for the longest time, and now, I think I've finally done it!!! There really is no strategy here, except get the beast out and start doing damage!!!

Combos:
any Lanturn -- I know that this isn't much of a combo, but they all can use Water AND Electric energies, or they have dual-type attacking ability, perfect for this deck.

Rainbow Energy -- duh...duh...duh...Due to the Rainbow NRG wording, the PokePOWER would not be activated. This is intentional.

Lady Outing/Energy Search -- With 2-type attacks, you need some flexibility in terms of what energy you are going to draw. However, Copycat and Elm work just as well...

GSC:

Feraligatr
120 HP
Weakness: Grass
Resistance: (None)
Picture:
Feraligatr, in a pond, swimming to the left, in profile, with a Totodile in the foreground. Sillhouettes of the various sea-fairing Pokemon are in the water, and a couple of Tauros are drinking from the pond. A forest and mountains are in the background.

Pokemon Power: "Tsunami's Rage"
If a damage counter is placed on Feraligatr, you may flip 2 coins. If both are heads, shuffle one trainer card from your discard pile into your deck. If both are tails, Feraligatr cannot use "Your Sacrafice is My Gain" as your next attack. This Pokemon Power cannot be used if Feraligatr has a Special Condition.

[W] Water Shot
Choose one of your opponent's Pokemon. This attack does 20 damage to that Pokemon. Do not apply weakness and resistance for Benched Pokemon.

[WWW] Your Sacrafice is My Gain 10+
This attack does 10 damage plus 20 damage for each Basic Pokemon or Evolution card in your Discard pile, and do not apply weakness for this attack. If there are no Basic Pokemon or Evolution cards in your discard pile, then discard the top card from your opponent's deck.

Flavor Text: As it watches its comrades go down in battle, Feraligatr's rage is fueled, and its attack becomes more powerful.

Strategy: I liked the original idea of G8r, with the discarded Energy, but I thought that it was always too easy to get the correct amount of Energy cards into your discard. This card was an attempt to create an even more powerful version of that original card, but making it much harder to do it. There is very little strategy in this card: just bump and dump da damage.

Combos:
Heavy Healing -- With that PokePOWER, the more damage G8r takes, the more chance you have of getting valuable cards back. These cards help give you that extra advantage.

Rainbow Energy -- This is the card that Rainbow is supposed to power up!!! The 10 damage that is placed will activate G8r's power, hopefully giving back those much needed Trainers!!

Trash Exchange -- Not much of a combo, just get a huge discard in any way possible, then just TE and hope for the best.

R/S

[Edit] Whoopsies!!! Didn't see that part... Here, the legal entry!!!

Swampert
120 HP
Weakness: Grass
Resistance: Lightning (-30)
Picture:
Swampert, in a mud-hole, facing to the right and towards the viewer, on its back, playing joyfully as a Gyarados sillhouette in the background uses Rain Dance. The sky is grey, with one small lightning bolt coming from off the right side of the picture. The rain partially drowns out the sillhouette of Gyarados. Two unrecognizable Pokemon, appearing to have 4 legs, are on the ground, seemingly watching either Gyarados or Swampert from either side of the picture.

Pokemon Power: "Rising Waters"
Once per turn, before you attack, you may flip 2 coins. For each heads, search your deck for a Water energy and attach it to one of your benched Pokemon. If you don't have any Benched Pokemon, this attack does nothing.

[WW] Hydro Cannon 30+
This attack does 30 damage plus 20 damage for each extra Water energy attached to Swampert but not used to pay for this attack's energy cost. You can not add more than 40 damage in this way.

[WWFFC] Targeted Earthquake 70
This attack does 10 damage to all of your opponent's benched Pokemon. If your opponent does not have any benched Pokemon, this attack does 10 damage to all your benched Pokemon. If neither player has any Benched Pokemon, this attack's base damage is 40 instead of 70.

Flavor Text: "This apparantly fun-loving Pokemon likes to play in muddy waters, where it is believed to have gotten its ground abilities from."

Strategy:
Another dual-typed monster, this time, trying to preserve the Ground aspect of Swampert's nature. Yes, Hydro Cannon is the exact same attack taken from Dark Blasty. However, virtually every Water card has had this type of attack, so I figured that I might as well make it good on this guy. Power, through and through. It is also anti-baby, which is why the attack costs so much (2 each of 2 different colored energy and 1 uncolored energy).

Combo cards:

Pokemon Center -- The way the second attack is worded, you could work up a lot of damage on your Pokemon if the opponent has no Bench. However, why use the second attack if the first attack is already doing that much damage?

Rainbow Energy -- Fighting for the second attack, Water for the first. Takes care of the dual-typing thing.

Healing Field -- Since you are already doing tons of damage, this won't hurt you that much.

[/Edit]

Last edited:
Color of Choice: Grass {G}

Tentacruel
80 HP {G}
Stage 1 Pokémon (Evolves from Tentacool)

Poké-POWER Condition Sponge
If your opponent tries to affect Tentacool with a Special Condition and Tentacruel is not already affected by a Special Condition, your opponent must flip a coin for each Special Condition he or she is trying to inflict. If tails, Tentacruel is not affected by that Special Condition.
{G}{G}{G}{C} Degenerate Acid The Defending Pokémon is now Poisoned. Place a damage counter for each of your opponent's turns that Pokémon's been Poisoned instead of 1 after each player's turn (even if it was already Poisoned). 30

Weakness: {P}
Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: {C}{C}
Picture: Tentacruel is sitting in a hotel pool, with a nuclear power plant in the background behind Tentacruel. The water itself is clean, but there is a lot of smoke coming from the nuclear power plant.
Strategy: Tentacruel's power is a not-so-broken variation on Jungle Snorlax's power, requiring an additional flip for each Special Condition just to affect Tentacruel with that condition. That combos it well with cards that switch your Pokémon such as Switch. Degenerate Acid is like the GB Toxic (eating away more and more after each turn) and combos well with Base or Aquapolis Jynx (or any other card that knows Meditate, such as Jungle Mr. Mime).

Qwilfish
60 HP {G}
Basic Pokémon

Poké-BODY Toxic Armor
If the Defending Pokémon is Poisoned, Qwilfish takes 10 less damage for each {G} Energy attached to it (before Weakness and Resistance) if the Defending Pokémon attacks Qwilfish.
{G}{G}{W} Acid Water You may choose whether or not the Defending Pokémon is now Poisoned. If you choose not to Poison the Defending Pokémon, this attack does 40 damage plus 10 more damage for each {W} Energy card attached to Qwilfish but not used to pay for this attack's Energy cost. You can't add more than 20 damage in this way. 40+

Weakness: {P}
Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: {C}

Ludicolo
90 HP {G}
Stage 2 Pokémon (Evolves from Lombre)

{W}{W}{W} Hydro Pump This attack does 20 damage plus 30 more damage for each {W} Energy attached to Ludicolo but not used to pay for this attack's Energy cost. You can't add more than 60 damage in this way. 20+
{G}{G}{G}{G}{G} Solarbeam 80

Weakness: none
Resistance: {W}
Retreat Cost: {C}{C}{C}

Last edited:
I'm game. My chosen type is (L).

R/B/Y:
Zapdos
(L)
80 HP
Weakness: N/A
Resistance: (F)
Retreat Cost: (C)(C)

Picture: Zapdos is in the center of the picture, facing us. Below it on either side are 2 Raichu. Yellow lines, which look vaguely like lightning bolts, connect Zapdos to each Raichu. The background shows dark clouds above an otherwise empty field. We can see from the blades of grass that a harsh wind is blowing from the right-hand side of the picture.

(C) Lightning Charge
Move all (L) Energy cards attached to your Benched Pokemon to Zapdos.

(L) Super Discharge 20X
If you have any Benched Pokemon, move each (L) Energy card attached to Zapdos to one of your Benched Pokemon. If you have no Benched Pokemon, discard all (L) Energy cards attached to Zapdos. Either way, this attack does 20 damage for each (L) Energy removed from Zapdos in this way.

Flavor Text: Zapdos' immense power requires huge amounts of electric charge, which it sometimes draws from other Pokemon.

G/S/C:
Raikou
(L)
60 HP
Weakness: (F)
Resistance: (M)
Retreat Cost: N/A

Picture: At the bottom of the picture, centered and facing right, Raikou looks like it is just about to land (it's about 1/8 inch above ground), possibly from a very high jump. The ground itself is bare dirt, with no hint of any kind of rocks, even pebbles. The sky is dark, but we can't make out any outlines of clouds, and it's not quite dark enough to be nighttime. We can see small sparks emanating from Raikou in all directions.

(L) Super Spark
For each (L) Energy attached to Raikou, choose one of your opponent's Pokemon. This attack does 20 damage to each Pokemon chosen in this way. Apply Weakness and Resistance only for Active Pokemon.

Flavor text: Running full speed, Raikou doesn't have enough time to direct its electric attacks at any specific target.

R/S:
Manectric
(L)
80 HP
Weakness: (F)
Resistance: (M)
Retreat Cost: (C)(C)

Picture: Manectric is standing on its hind legs, facing left. It is a little to the right of the center of the picture. In the background, we can vaguely make out 2 Manectric on the left side of the picture. The sky is clear blue, and there is not a cloud in the sky. The ground has small patches of grass, including one small tuft that is just in front of Manectric.

Poke-Body: Reactive Charge
Whenever an attack (even your own) damages Manectric, flip a coin. If heads, attach a basic (L) Energy card from your discard pile to Manectric.

(L)(L) Charged Attack 20X
Does 20 damage times the number of basic (L) Energy cards attached to Manectric.

Flavor Text: Its hair is always standing on end due to the fact that it always carries a static charge.

Bullados:

Gyrados
Name/Hp/Type 6/6

Power: A little fuzzy on the words, but still good. 6/9
Attack: The base damage should probally be 60, but i won't take off. 9/9
W/R/RC: Fine 6/6
F Text: 5/5
Pic: 5/5 Very Descriptive.
Strategy: 5/5
Subj: I enjoyed this card alot. Very creative. 4/5

46/50

Gatr
Name/Hp/Type: 5/6 (HP is too high for such a powerful card)

Power: I'll give you full credit here, although i wish the power was a little
less random.6/6
Attack 1: Fine 6/6
Attack 2: Name is a little long. This really isnt a (W) attack. probally
more based towards (D).
Also, it could be overpowered with selective discarding. 2/6.
Flavor Text: 5/5
Strategy: You Failed to see an early Oak, C. Search, E. Retrievel,
or Item Finder dumps the cards in. 3/5
W/R/RC:6/6
Pic: 5/5
Subjective: I really didnt like the feel to his card. To (D) like
3/5

41/50

Swampert
Name/HP/Type:5/6 (see attack 1)

Power: Because it says the word "attack" in the power, i have
to take points off. 3/6
Attack 1: Way overpowered. This attack is ok for blastoise
cause of his 70 HP. 3/6
Attack 2: 6/6
W/R/RC: 6/6
Flavor Text: 5/5
Strategy: I was thinking Pokeflute! 4/5
Pic: 5/5
Subjective:4/5

41/50

HC was also supposed to be a "fallback" attack, because of the wording on Swampert's 2nd attack. Maybe it should have been 40+10, or 20+20, but that would take away from its overall purpose in here.

ON the G8r, how can the "top card" be "selective discarding"? IN my estimation, it's only one card, and it will hapen so rarely, that it actually shouldn't have been mentioned, I just wanted a kool effect if the damage for the attack is low. Should've used 100 or 110 for the HP...

Okay then, I pick colorless...

Erm, you said suffixes were okay, right? ;x

Dragonite ex (Stage 2 Colorless pokémon)
150 HP

Picture: Dragonite is seen flying over a mountain range, with a kind of rainbow effect in the holographic background. It's flying away from you (or the camera, whatever...) But it has it's head turned back, so it's glowing eyes can be seen, they're holographic like the backround and a silver color.

When Pokémon-ex has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.

Poké-Power: Dragon's Energy - Dragonite ex may use all attacks from all Pokémon-ex in play that are the same type as any basic Energy cards attached to Dragonite ex. This power does nothing if Dragonite ex doesn't have the Energy necessary to use that attack. (You must still do anything else required in order to use that attack.) This power can't be used if Dragonite ex is affected by a special condition.

[C] Dragon Lights - 40 damage. Discard a basic Energy card from Dragonite ex, or this attack does nothing. If you discard a [R] Energy in this way, the Defending Pokémon is now burned. If you discard a [W] Energy in this way, the Defending Pokémon is now asleep. If you discard a [G] Energy in this way, the Defending Pokémon is now poisoned.

Weakness: Colorless
Resistance: Fire/Lightning
Retreat: CCCC
Rarity: White-Star Holographic

Explanations: 150 HP is a lot, but it is a Stage 2 ex pokémon. I was gonna go with 160, but his attack/power are very good, so I decided against it. I gave it the Colorless weakness because the ADV3 Dragons all have that weakness, and nothing else really fits, seeing as the dragons in the GBA are resistant to so many things. Same with the resistance, in ADV3 the dragons all seem to have a double resistance, and they're usually some combination of water, lightning, and fire. I picked lightning and fire because ice-types are considered water in the TCG and having Dragonite resistant to something that he's actually 4x weak to wouldn't be very clever. I gave him the big retreat to sorta even out it's useablility. And White-Star Holographic seems to be what Nintendo is doing with the ex cards now, so that's why I picked the rarity.

Strategy: Well the attack and power are both complimentary to it's "splashability". So it not only works well in any type of deck, but it can strive in it, especially fire, water, and grass.

Combos:
- Any non-colorless, dark, or metal Pokémon-ex (copy it's attacks)
- Juggler/Power Plant (Discard basic energy, then Power Plant to get the right energy onto it at the right time)
- N3 Porygon2 (The way the attack is worded, you can "convert" the energy, and get the extra effects of whichever type you want.)
- E1 Clefable/E3 Furret (Get the right energy at the right time)
- E1 Ampharos (Move the right energy to the active at the right time)

----------

Kingdra ex (Stage 2 Colorless pokémon)
170 HP

Picture: An Extreme closeup of Kingdra's face, it is staring directly at you (or the camera, whatever...), and in the background only ocean can be seen, and there is a huge storm in the background. It's pitch black, and the only light is coming from a streak of lightning in the sky.

[W] Oceanic Monarchy - 30 damage. Before dealing damage, If your opponent has any [W] Pokémon in play, you may choose one of them and switch it with the Defending Pokémon.

[CC] Flames of Ice - 60 damage. If there isn't either a [R] or [W] energy card attached to Kingdra ex, this attack does nothing. Discard 1 [R] or [W] energy card from Kingdra ex.

Resistance: Fire/Water
Retreat: CCC

Explanations: First of all, I made him colorless because he is half-dragon, and dragon translates into colorless. 170 HP is a lot, but it is a Stage 2 ex pokémon, and it's attacks are good, but not dominating, so I think the 170 is fine. I gave it the Colorless weakness because the ADV3 Dragons all have that weakness, and nothing else really fits, seeing as the dragons in the GBA are resistant to so many things. Same with the resistance, in ADV3 the dragons all seem to have a double resistance, and they're usually some combination of water, lightning, and fire. I picked water and fire because, unlike Dragonite, Kingdra isn't weak to ice, so water makes sense, and in the GBA he's x4 resistant to fire, that that also makes sense. I gave him the 3 retreat because it is a big Stage 2, and an ex at that. And White-Star Holographic seems to be what Nintendo is doing with the ex cards now, so that's why I picked the rarity.

Strategy: Well the attacks kinda motion it to be put in water decks, although it'd also work in fire decks, seeing as you only need one of the 2 types of energy to use it's 2nd attack.

Combos:
- Energy Stadium (get back the energy you're losing each turn)
- Electabuzz ex/other electrics(Oceanic Monarchy and bring up other big retreating water types, then take them out easily, by bringing out Buzz ex)
- Havest Bounty Venusaur(Attach double energy to Kingdra, so it can charge up in 1 turn, and you won't need to attach an energy every turn..)
- EX2 Pichu (Charge it up with energy straight from the deck, add that to the free energy attachment for the turn, and you'll get 3 energy per turn.)

----------

Rayquaza ex (Basic Colorless pokémon)
100 HP

Picture: Rayquaza can be seen floating above the Sky Pillar roaring, it's body is surging with electricity, and several streaks of golden lightning can be seen eminating from it's body and fading into the dark holographic background.

[RC] Overburn - 40 damage. Before dealing damage, change Rayquaza ex's type to [R]. Both Defending Pokémon are now Burned. Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing (Not even damage).

[WC] Submerge - 30+ damage. Before dealing damage, change Rayquaza ex's type to [W]. Flip a coin until you get tails. This attack does 30 damage plus 20 more for each heads.

[LC] Volt Target - 70 damage. Before dealing damage, change Rayquaza ex's type to [L]. Discard all energy cards attached to Rayquaza ex.

Resistance: Grass/Fighting
Retreat: CCC

Explanations: 100 HP works I think, it's a basic so it's a lot, but not max or anything, especially considering the power of it's attacks. I gave it the Colorless weakness because the ADV3 Dragons all have that weakness, and nothing else really fits, seeing as the dragons in the GBA are resistant to so many things. Same with the resistance, in ADV3 the dragons all seem to have a double resistance, and they're usually some combination of water, lightning, and fire. Although, just for variety I picked Grass/Fighting, in the video game he actually is resistant to grass and fighting, so they do make sense. I gave him the 3 retreat because it is pretty strong, and I want to even it out a bit. And White-Star Holographic seems to be what Nintendo is doing with the ex cards now, so that's why I picked the rarity.

Strategy: It techs itself against almost every type.

Combos:
- Rainbow/Multi Energy (1 Rainbow and 1 other energy means it can use any of it's attacks.)
- TM Cubes/Miracle Spheres(It can change it's type to use 3 types of TMs)
- Power Plant/Juggler(Trade energy with energy from the discard, to use any of his attacks whenever you wish.)
- E1 Ampharos (Start off using Overburn and Submerge, and then later when you have a lot of Lightning energy on your bench, Energy Connect one each turn to Rayquaza, so he can consistantly Volt Target, to hit for 70 each turn)

Back