Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Canadian Nationals Article

DukeFireBird

Gallery Administrator<br>Forum Moderator
Pokemon attacks!
Canada's top Pokemon players--aged six to 60--will vie for the right combination of cards this weekend to win thousands of dollars in scholarships and other prizes

Lisa Smedman, Vancouver Courier
Friday, July 04, 2008

<table style="float: right;" valign="top" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="250"><tbody><tr><td><table style="width: 1px; height: 73px;" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td class="storycredit">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td><table style="width: 129px; height: 45px;" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>My deck of Pokemon cards in hand, I settle into a chair at The Connection Games in Marpole. Across the table is my opponent, Connor Chiu. At 10 years of age, he's a veteran player with four years' experience, including two national championship competitions and one world championship competition under his belt.
Chiu may be young, but I'm a beginning player. This elementary school kid, I figure, will likely defeat my rookie deck in 15 minutes flat.
"Are you gonna go easy on her, Connor?" another player asks as we draw our first seven cards.
Chiu giggles.
As expected, it's a hard-fought match. One of my cards is knocked out in the first few minutes of play, but then my luck turns. I "evolve" my Pikachu into a Raichu, and over the next few minutes zap into oblivion four of the six cards I need to knock out to win. But Chiu quickly rallies, slapping card after card onto the table in killer combinations.
In the end, as expected, my "electric" deck proves to be no match for Chiu's "psychic" deck. Some 29 minutes after we began, it's all over. My young opponent has won the match--although I did better than I expected.
Tomorrow (July 5) Chiu will join more than 100 Pokemon players from across Canada for the national championships. He'll break out his cards and do battle in a day-long event beginning at 9 a.m. at the Empire Landmark Hotel in Vancouver. Players will compete in three divisions, grouped by age: junior (born in 1997 or later); senior (born between 1993 and 1996); and masters (born in 1992 or before)....READ MORE...

Thanks to OHKOer for the link!

~Duke

Yay for the Chius. A great article, they had it at the front at Nats today, I actually managed to read through it even tough it was right at the door. Article gets a 9/10

Wow, that was a 7 page article?!? Man, whoever this was should be available for EVERY Pokemon event in Vancouver, she's good at what she does.

Wait...say what? A GOOD pokemon article.....on the FROUNT page? hmmmmm havn't seen that one before!

Last edited:
Back