Carvanha misprint?

Discussion in 'Collecting and Card Price Discussion' started by sproutgirl, Jul 27, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. sproutgirl

sproutgirl New Member

Hello, I was helping my 7 y.o. son sort through his Pokemon cards and came across a Carvanha card that was spelled Cavanha. I tried searching for this card online, and found that it appears the spelling is incorrect, but I wasn't able to find any further details.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/oddpeople/board/Carvanha.jpg

At the bottom left of the card, there is a DPBP#371 and on the bottom right it says 81/132 with a white circle next to it.

Is this a misprint? What would the card be worth? It does have some light scratching you can see under light, and there is a tiny bit of wear along the top edge.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. Serebii1997J

Serebii1997J New Member

By the looks of it.... nothing. It's fake, look at the energy symbol.

3. sproutgirl

sproutgirl New Member

Is that the symbol next to the HP? My son doesn't play the game or anything, just collects the cards so I'm a bit clueless. If it's a fake. would that mean the whole pack was a fake? All of his cards have been purchased at the stores in the packs.

4. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

The one that is on the right (the one that is black) is a fake. The other card is a real card. Therefor the card that you think is an error is actually worth nothing because it is indeed a fake card.

Drew

5. secretsof2113

secretsof2113 Moderator Trader Feedback Mod

Yup, the black one is a fake. You can tell by comparing the colorless energy symbols of the two cards. The black star in the center of the symbol is much larger on the fake than on the real one.

6. sproutgirl

sproutgirl New Member

Yes, I see that now. I'm starting to research fake Pokemon cards and my husband and I are looking through all of the cards in my son's collection. The back of this card is a much lighter shade of blue, now that we're looking at it. And it occurred to me that my mother brought my son a few packs she picked up at a flea market in FL while she was on vacation. That seems to be the most likely explanation of the fake cards that I can think of. We've found a few others that are questionable and we're looking through them now (not that my son cares - he's just wondering why we've suddenly taken such a keen interest in his cards, lol!)

Thank you for responding and pointing out the fake!

7. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

It's funny how the Pokemon card bootleggers actually retype the text on the card and make mistakes. I would have thought that they'd just take a scan of a real card and use that as the face for the fake.

8. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Another thing to look for is the word Pokemon in the text.
    The fakes don't put the accent mark over the e.

9. sproutgirl

sproutgirl New Member

That is a GREAT tip! Much easier than the other methods we were using today. All told, we found 26 in his collection. It's sad that we had to be introduced to the dark side of Pokemon collecting, but it was a good lesson for all of us today. I appreciate everyone's comments.

10. homeofmew

homeofmew Active Member

also from the accented e the energy symbols are enlarged.
    Mispellings are usually fakes..
    - drowzee which they did spell wrong.