Caterpie GE

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by The Machampion, Feb 21, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. The Machampion

The Machampion New Member

Caterpies:ppowr: Pupate Says -

that (with a coin flip) you can search through your deck for a card that evolves from Caterpie, and then place it on top of Caterpie. (This counts as evolving your Pokemon) Metapod has pretty much the same Power, except that it's called Emerge.

I Have Several Effects About This

1) Since It says you can search through your deck for a card that evolves from Caterpie, and then place it on top of Caterpie. (This counts as evolving your Pokemon).

So In Effect i could evolve it straight to butterfree.? Help Please

2)What I'm confused about is whether or not these Powers supersede the usual "once per turn" rule for Evolution. Also, can these powers both be used (if the coin flips are successful, of course) on the first turn? I'm also confused about if these powers, like Rare Candy, would override the usual rule where you cannot evolve a Pokemon that you just put into play. So, for example, could I put Caterpie into play on my bench, retreat my active Pokemon and switch Caterpie in, and then have Caterpie attempt its Pupate Power? Also... could I then attempt Emerge, too?

I understand that I could not, for example, use Caterpie's Pupate to search for Metapod, place it on Caterpie, and then immediately evolve Metapod into Butterfree. (This would conflict with the "once per turn" evolution rule) However, if I'm using a Poke Power... that's where I get confused.

Yeah please help

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

1. No, it has to be Metapod.
    Note that it doesn't have the same language as Rare Candy (Stage 1 or Stage 2). So it has to be a card that says "evolves from Caterpie" on it.

2. Any effect will supercede the "once per turn" rule for Evolution and the "not on the 1st turn" rule. But if used, they "count as evolving", meaning that you can't then turn around and evolve normally that same turn.
    2a. Yes and Yes, you can Pupate right away and then Emerge.