Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Cat's and Dogs" The winning Anti-gardy deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muk Man

I buil two decks to counter gardy and this was the better of the two, because it could handle so many other decks as well. It got me my first City win of the season

Pokemon 17
4 skitty PK
3 delcatty PK
2 Delcatty EX CG
4 vulpix DF
4 Ninetails MT

Trainers
3 TV Reporter
3 strength charm
2 castaway
2 bebes
2 rosannes
2 lake boundry
2 crystal beach
2 stevens
2 Night maintence
1 copycat
1 scott
1 wager
1masterball
1 holon mentor
1dusk ball

energy 17
2 cyclone
15 fire

it's real easy you typeshift with ninetails to ohko everything in a gardy deck via lake boundry and strength charm.
you use delcatty to energy draw and get energy in the discard(along with the fire blast discard) to get through your deck and to power up an upstream. (once set up you can disard 4-5 energy per turn!) before you upstream you play a crystal beach to prevent them from attaching scramble.

the only way for gardy to keep up is to attack with gardy and lock you from using your powers... problem is that it will never ko you, so you still get to hit them for 60-70 damage with fire blast which will put them in ko range from upstraem. Since they cant attack with gallade because the need to keep attacking with gardy you limit the amount of damage they can do sice you will always be able to OHKO their gallade. and with the crystal beach lock it will take them forever to attach the three energy to attack. More than likely they will keep sacraficing absols/ferrets so they wont waster energy drops. but you just type shift to fighting and ohko them as well!

vulpix is the ideal starter as you put them to sleep then ko them next turn and drop a crystal beach to lock out a scramble. then yuo just continue to ohko them from there.

Any fixes would be cool.

I like the concept of this deck but, I don't like the Catty ex/Catty. They are a great draw engine but, they are still weak to fight type. You have shown me that Ninetails MT is a great card.

Muk man I bow to you. :thumb: The only thing that I thought Ninetails was good for was to to take a slot in the binder. Boy was I wrong. Congrats on the CC win. I agree with smacktack15 though. Delcatty doesn't seem to fit in well. My thoughts are to run Shuckle (SW) or Muk (SW). Every GG deck I have seen runs a combination of DRE, Scramble, and Multi. I say punish them for it. No damage to Shuckle and auto poison from Muk for those special energies. I also agree with Chromecatz. GG runs at least 3 windstorm, usually 4. Max out the crystal beach.

Would it help to run with Typhlosion MT to get back the energy you discarded bach to the Bench?

Muk man I bow to you. :thumb: The only thing that I thought Ninetails was good for was to to take a slot in the binder. Boy was I wrong. Congrats on the CC win. I agree with smacktack15 though. Delcatty doesn't seem to fit in well. My thoughts are to run Shuckle (SW) or Muk (SW). Every GG deck I have seen runs a combination of DRE, Scramble, and Multi. I say punish them for it. No damage to Shuckle and auto poison from Muk for those special energies. I also agree with Chromecatz. GG runs at least 3 windstorm, usually 4. Max out the crystal beach.
As you said they run DRE, Scramble, and Multi. Use Octillery MT to snipe the bench and use Crash Bomber to do 60 and remove the Special Energy. Good list over all. Props to you for the CCs win!

I too must give you props on Ninetales. That's a great card and could be very helpful in helping taking down Galladevoir. I personally would run it with Typhlosion however. I would also use Sableye CG to have Disable to shut down Absol.

Although, I also would want to know the extent of it's ability to counter Gallade and Gardevoir. Not to be disrespectful, but one CC win really does not constitute a Counter Deck. I would be interested in the frequency of wins vs G/G. Also, you do need a lot of cards to pull off the combo. Charm AND Boundary.

Good idea - congrats on the win. I'm impressed.

~Jim

Last edited:
Congrats on the win, I like the concept of the deck, still seems like GG wouldn't have to much of a hard time playing against the deck. Everything is a 1 hit knock out. The positives about the deck is that it sets up faster, and it hits pretty hard. I would personaly, take out the delcatty and run 4-4 ninetales with a ball engine, and maby have absol as a starter, or through in 1 or 2 sableye for the disable!

This deck WOULDN'T do well late game against Gardelade due to you not lasting but, it alters setup.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Overall, Great job, this takes the deck down.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim and randy!!!!
and the goal is to keep energy in the discard for delcatty ex plus its gives it the speed it need to keep up with a deck using 2 supporters per turn.
and Here is how it counters GG...

1st they will have to attack you with Gardy to stop you from using your powers. if you get to use your powers you are way faster and have the ability to OHKO the whole deck. so in all my matchups where it wasn't onesided. Gallade never realy saw play, because the needed the kirlias to become Gardy

2nd when attacking with gardy they dont have enough damage to ohko you so you will always put them in KO range from An upstream with delcatty ex.

3rd when yu play crystal beach....since the lists i have seen run very little to NO stadiums or windstorms the best they can do is attach an energy and try to stall for a turn. the problem is that elcatty ex has free retreat and all i do is send in another ninetails and start to fireblast again

so my turn usually works like this
draw a card
energy draw 1
play a supporter
energy draw
constrain
attach fire energy
type shift
fire blast
Here is how it counters GG...

1st they will have to attack you with Gardy to stop you from using your powers. if you get to use your powers you are way faster and have the ability to OHKO the whole deck. so in all my matchups where it wasn't one-sided. Gallade never realy saw play, because they needed the kirlias to become Gardy

2nd when attacking with gardy they dont have enough damage to ohko you so you will always put them in KO range from An upstream with delcatty ex.

3rd when you play crystal beach....since the lists i have seen run very little to NO stadiums or windstorms the best they can do is attach an energy and try to stall for a turn. the problem is that delcatty ex has free retreat and all i do is send in another ninetails and start to fireblast again

so my turn usually works like this
draw a card
energy draw
play a supporter
energy draw
constrain
attach fire energy
type shift
fire blast
discard another energy
thats at least 4 energy in the discard before i count constrain.
so even if they play gallade and ko a ninetails i energy draw twice, play tv reporter, then constrain and play cryastal beach, attach an energy to ninetails on the bench then ko gallade. now with no scramble ability and a ninetails waiting to fire blast next turn . i'm in control of the game. so they will not be able to ko delcatty ex unless they play a lake boundry...which most run then play scramble and ko me. so i respond by ohko the stage 2 line.... the best the can do is play another scramble on gardy and hit me for 60 and lock my powers. i respond by hitting them for 60 and playing another crystal beach...volia... they cant attack now. because they dont have the energy, so the evlve to the level x and retreat to the bench and pass.

I think i will add 1 more crystal beach, because most of the time i don't play lake boundry just because they try to lock my powers with gardy.
In all my games i've only lost 1 delcatty EX the never really get a chance to attack him.

I think i will add 1 more crystal beach, because most of the time i don't play lake boundry just because they try to lock my powers with gardy.
In all my games i've only lost 1 delcatty EX the never really get a chance to attack him.

Last edited:
Pokemon n° 16
4 Vulpix d DF
4 Ninetales MT
4 Skitty PK
2 Delcatty PK
2 Delcatty EX

Trainer n° 29
3 Celio's Network
1 Bebe's Research
4 TV Reporter
1 Steven's Advice
2 Team Galactic's
2 Castaway
2 Strenght Charms
3 Pluspower
3 Windstorm
1 Warp Point
1 Scott
2 Lake Boundaries
3 Roseanne's Search
1 Night Maintenance

Energy n° 15
3 D.R.E
12 Fire

Fixed! :thumb:

No Ninetales MT to combo with energy draw? I like Ninetales but 80 is just a little low HP.

low for what? the post shows why they don't attack with gallade...and since the metagame is 95 percent Gardy Gallade 5 percent blissey ninetails does fine

and you cant take crystal beack outta the deck it is A MUST.

You only run 2 Lake Boundary and 1 Scott. I think for a deck that abuses weakness so much, you should run more of both.

And how does the deck do against other decks? Magmortar? Blissey? Honchkrow?

Seems like it might be decent against G&G, but usually you won't face G&G in many of your games in swiss. And if you can't make it through swiss, you can't get to the top cut where you might actually face G&G.

id say- sounds an excellent deck, but DEFINITELY needs three crystal beach.
Nice to see some originality in countering the metagame :biggrin:

Three suggestions Two questions
+ 1-2 Holon FF to for fighting weakness on the delcattys- 1-2 Cylone
+ 2 quick ball - dusk and master balls
+ 1 Sableye CG - 1 Skitty
Why Bebe's instead of Celio's?
Could you get away with 2 Delcatty energy draw? So a 3-2-2 line to add another cystal beach/lake boundry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back