Cessation switching out/in against Ho-oh's "Phoenix turn"?

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Dennis Hawk, Mar 19, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Dennis Hawk

Dennis Hawk New Member

Ok. Imagine this:

My Donphan SW has a Cessation Crystal attached, and I'm going against Ho-oh SW with 70 damage on it. I use the attack 'Rapid Spin', which switches my Donphan to the bench, but Ho-oh is knocked out. As I don't have Cessation Crystal on any pokémon in my bench, I bring in say, Mr. Mime. What happens to Ho-oh?

Does he get to flip the power as he is knocked out from my attack, but after the attack has been carried out, there's nothing to stop it's power? Or does the pokémon get knocked out directly after damage before other effects, and thus Donphan's Cessation stopping it's power?

On the other hand, if I don't have Cessation on my Donphan but do have one in my bench and I switch it in, does the Ho-oh get knocked out then? Which is the correct scenario?

Thanks.

2. mtjimmer

mtjimmer Master Trainer, Emeritus

Resolve everything from the attack, before removing Ho-Oh from play due to damage counters.

Donphan would be sent to the Bench as part of its Rapid Spin. At the point that Ho-Oh would be Knocked Out, Donphan is no longer the Active Pokemon (and Cessation is no longer on)...allowing Ho-Oh to flip for its Poke-Power.