Champion

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Jim Ferrell, Oct 4, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

Been kinda idle lately because of all the things I have going on in my personal life, as well as my millions of school responsibilities, also trying to prepare for the GRE later next month. Anyways, I've been tinkering (and I don't know of the idea's been posted on the boards, if it has, sorry, I don't check much) but really like this deck because of the current format:

Champion
    Modified Format

Pokemon: 22
    3 Tauros (CG)
    4 Machop (PK)
    3 Machoke (DP)
    4 Machamp (3 DP/1 PK)
    3 Chikorita
    2 Bayleef
    3 Meganium d

Energy: 16
    11 Fighting
    3 Double Rainbow
    2 Scramble

Trainers: 22
    4 Cessation Crystal
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Celio's Network
    3 Steven's Advice
    3 Bill's Maintenance/Prof Oak's Visit (come next set)
    2 Castaway
    2 Copycat
    1 Night Maintenance

*Possible change: -1 Bill's Maintenance for +1 Night Maintenance

Strategy: This deck's not that complex. In fact I'm thinking that the game's more and more about consistancy and quickness now more than ever and less about strategy. Your ideal starter is Tauros to call for your Chikorita and Machop(s). I opted to go without Holon Mentor in this deck, since I am going thick with Meganium d and have Tauros for setup. This deck should set itself up quickly and consistantly. T2 Delta Reduction is pretty ridiculous versus stuff like Lucario and Empoleon which is like half of the format. The fact that the whole deck is Fighting, helps with seemingly the other half of the format: Blissey/Whatever. Intelligent playing of Cessation allows you to take advantage of Meganium's coming into play Power. Machamp is just really great because it also hurts bench hitters like Empoleon or Lucario and it's second attack is pretty good for just FFF. Again, nothing new or rocket science. Went with the regular MT Chikorita and Bayleef because they are just better, even if I cannot utilize them as expertly as the delta counterparts. Chikorita d is too easily picked off by Empoleon, and Bayleef MT grabs the Meganium d for use next turn. I'm entertaining thoughts of a Holon FF or two to avoid resistance problems, we'll see.

Thoughts are appreciated in advance, thanks,

~Jim

2. SomethingElse

SomethingElse New Member

I just don't see why you play Tauros in here, especially with Cess Crystals...
    3 Mawile (PK)
    1 Holon's Castform (HP)
    4 Machop (PK)
    2 Machoke (DP)
    4 Machamp (3 DP/1 PK)
    4 Chikorita
    2 Bayleef
    4 Meganium d

10 Fighting
    3 Double Rainbow
    2 Scramble

1 Strength Charm/Buffer Piece
    3 Cessation Crystal
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Celio's Network
    2 Steven's Advice
    1 Holon Mentor
    2 Team Galactic's Wager
    4 Castaway
    2 Copycat
    1 Night Maintenance

while Mawile doesn't seem "ideal", i like it a lot better then Tauros...

3. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I'm finding the format is getting much quicker too. So I am wondering how you will get setup when your setting up stage 2's and such. Last Saturday, I played Meganium d/ Feraligatr d or MegaGatr at Fort Mill. I won 3 out of my 5 games with one loss being to Kricketune. I knew it had my number. There is just no way to get setup against a consistent Kricketune. It gets going T2 OHKO'ing whatever you have active. Tauros might survive since it has higher HP, but it's not guaranteed. After they KO your setup basic, it is irritating and almost impossible to setup a meganium d to help setup the rest since they run cessation crystal themselves.

Now I hope you have a better matchup with kricketune with this deck than I did with mine, but I kind of doubt it.

I would definitely play test the kricketune matchup if you have any open time.

Good luck with the deck.

4. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

I really like this idea. I'll test it out and see what I see.

5. Hawk Nelson

Hawk Nelson New Member

Well preferably I NEVER like playing decks that have cards that work counterproductive to others (Cess and meg) plus also I think you are going overkill on "fighting kick butt guys" Id personally choose between one or the other as they dont really have much synergy between them.

Also you have castaway, id still play at least 1 mentor, its too good of a card to say no to.

Personally I really like the idea of machamp/blissey (I KNOW another blissey variant how boring) but they have really good synergy, both abuse boost, both let you play cess, blissey helps give you time to setup champ, champ beat sticks everything including blissey more. I dunno I just really like the idea. Dunno how GOOD it is. I just really like machamp currently EVERY basic, stage 1, and evol are ALL good cards. Thats hard to find in a stage 2 pokemon currently.

Also I want to point out, I think Foisy's fix was the best. Especially with the extra castaway engine and wagers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  6. KingGengar

KingGengar New Member

Machamp/Blissey is very playable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.