Chaos Gym and "Playing" Supporters

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Kooper Koushiro, Jul 4, 2019.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Kooper Koushiro

Kooper Koushiro New Member

Chaos Gym is in my cube and gets drafted quite frequently. Of course when the card was printed, Supporter cards didn't exist, but as a pre-Diamond & Pearl card the 'Trainer' reference should include Trainer--Supporters.
    The verbiage on Supporters has consistently been that you "may play only one Supporter each turn". However Chaos Gym states that on tails, "the player can't play that card."
    That leads me to believe that since the card could not be played, it wasn't considered played in the game state. (Some effects may happen anyway due the effect being used, such as if the card was Misty's Duel or N.) Therefore, the player could attempt to play another Supporter in the same turn, as Chaos Gym making it fail did not "use up" their Supporter for turn.

Side note: Pre-BW Supporters were 'put in play' by your Active and so wouldn't be eligible for opponent's use, but since my cube includes BW-on supporters we treat them the same as modern supporters to keep things lined up. Irrelevant to the question at hand, though.

Asking here since I doubt there would be any "official" ruling on an old card interaction. The closest I found in Compendium was in regard to the old Gym Challenge Blaine Trainer card that allowed extra energy attachment.

-Kooper, who omitted Neo Genesis Slowking from the cube, but is pretty sure failing a Supporter due to Mind Games would use up your Supporter for turn.

BJJ763 likes this.
  2. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

I don't see where your question is so I don't completely understand your post. The interaction between Chaos Gym and Supporter cards is in the Compendium. Your comment in italics appears to be incorrect.
    From this, on a tails flip, if the opponent chooses to use the supporter, the supporter goes into play next to the opponent's active pokemon and then the opponent performs the supporter's effect. The player may then attempt to play another Supporter.

For Post-BW Supporters, I don't see why they wouldn't be treated the same way. However, cards with restrictions did exist so from those you can infer the same:
    This means that it doesn't matter if the Supporter is pre or post BW. The answer is the same.

3. Kooper Koushiro

Kooper Koushiro New Member

I'm not sure how I glanced over that. Thank you! Also answered my question on who discards for Computer Search on a failed Chaos Gym flip (which was "both"). The wording is different, but I would think Ultra Ball's discard is a cost as well despite lacking the old "in order to" wording.
    I do wonder how that worked with Pokémon Trader (and Pokémon Communication by extension). Would the turn player just lose the Pokémon traded in? Somewhere there's a line between a cost to play the card and an effect of the card, which is important.

I'm curious about the ruling of old Supporters being usable too. Obviously they came later, but cards with the Detour attack (Magby TRR and Jirachi RR) specifically reference Supporter cards being "in play". So Chaos Gym wouldn't consider them (put) "in play" but Detour does? Seems weird to have different definitions of "in play", but maybe there's a translation difference between WotC and TPCi.

-Kooper

4. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

The reason I don't like playing cards before Expedition is because the rulings on them are weird. It was also so long ago and the rulings not as well known that people remember made up rules.

Re: Cost vs effect
    In the time of Base-Skyridge, you can interpret almost anything restrictive as a "cost" but the clearest rule that continues to be applied today is that a discard on a trainer is a cost. Besides in Team MultiPlayer, the significance is that you 1) cannot avoid costs and 2) costs are not effects so they fail the "can't play a card for no effect" rule.

In the understanding of costs, you know that Ultra Ball's discard is a cost because 1) it is a discard on a trainer and 2) discarding the 2 cards is not enough to pass the rule "you cannot play a trainer for no effect" because you can't play it to search a o card deck. Taking that further, Junk Arm's discard is a cost because, if there are no items in your discard pile, you cannot play it because it isn't obvious at the time of play that you would get an effect out of it.

Re Pokemon Trader:
    Pokemon Trader, Energy Retrieval, and Super Energy Retrieval do not work the same way that Pokemon Communication does. The first three "trade" cards. You cannot use them if it is not obvious at the time you play the card that two sets of cards are not swapping places/fields at the same time. Pokemon Communication and Energy Exchanger work by having one card change fields AND THEN a second card changes fields. In that way, they follow the "do as much as you can" rule.

Re: Supporter "in play"
    Not only does Chaos Gym not consider supporters "in play" but the entire philosophy on supporter rulings considers them not in play. Placing them next to the active was a game state marker. Just a visual reminder that you played a supporter that turn. I think the Detour wording is just the translator looking for a way to articulate the intent of the card.

Kooper Koushiro likes this.