Character designs

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Orange Soda, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

Over the summer, I've been brainstorming ideas for something that'll probably end up being an internet comic book/manga/whatever. Here's a couple of current designs for main characters (copy and paste URLs):

http://www.freewebs.com/orangesodaonline/orangesoda.jpg
    http://www.freewebs.com/orangesodaonline/cherry.jpg

Naturally, Orange Soda is a fictional representation of myself. And Cherry is his friend that isn't based on anyone real.

I wanted a simple look, because something simple would be easy to reproduce. I also wanted to get away from the typical anime look, because everyone and their dog does that. So I opted to look like the DC animated universe. I stuck my KidsWB recording into the VCR and watched Static Shock to get some idea. Then, after trying to make the eyes look like those eyes, I thought about trying rectangle eyes. That looked cool, so I stuck with it.

Other characters on the horizon will probably include:
    Count Spatula: vampire-starfish.
    Gravy monster: mindless cafeteria creature.
    Grape Soda: evil clone of Orange Soda.
    So-and-such Celebrity: Generic female celebrity.
    Justin Time: Son of Father Time, older brother of the New Year's baby. Is resentful of the human population because everyone thinks that making a "Just in time!" joke in his presense is funny.
    ACRONYM: A secret, evil organization dedicated to a purpose that I will currently not reveal.

2. White Gryphon

White Gryphon New Member

Aw cool! I signed up for a webcomic to be hosted, but so far Keenspace hasn't gotten back with me yet...

So far your designs look pretty good. Orange kinda looks a bit like Professor Utonium, but I don't mind that much. What I would do next is start trying to get them to represent different emotions, unless you're going for text-driven emotions over pictoral ones.

Keep up the good work! :clap: (not that skilled at rating artwork, because of that "eye of the beholder" concept)

3. Android17a

Android17a New Member