Charizard AR. Please Help

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by ajhawk, Feb 27, 2011.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajhawk

ajhawk New Member

I want to play a Charizard for States. Please Read over and give me some tips.

Decklist:
    4-3-4 Charizard AR
    2-2 Ninetales HS
    2-1-2 Typhlosion Prime HS
    3 Spiritomb AR
    1 Blaziken

2 Bebe's Search
    1 Broken Time-Space
    2 Expert Belt
    1 Interviewer's Questions
    1 Luxury Ball
    3 Pokemon Collector
    2 Pokemon Communication
    2 Professor Oak's New Theory
    3 Rare Candy
    1 Seeker
    1 Stark Mountain
    1 VS Seeker
    2 Warp Point

14 Fire Energy

Strategy:
    I will almost always fall behind by one or two prizes. However, by then I usually have at least 1-2 Charizards, 1 Ninetales, and 1 Typhlosion set up. The from then on I go on to hit for 80-150 every turn trying to take the knockouts.

Pokemon Break Down
    Charizard line: This one is obvious. It is the main attacker of the deck. I can hit very hard. It can OHKO everything but a belted Regigigas or Belted T-Tar Prime.

Typloshion line: The is the energy accelerator. It is also the secondary attacker. It can hit for 70 (or 140 against D-Chomp). You also cannot underestimate the ability to discard an opponent’s energy. Rescue, Double Colorless, Special Metal, Special Dark can all be played around with this card.

Blaziken FB: This card is for its “drag-out” ability. The Vileplumes, Regices, D-Chomp G Lv.Xs, etc. can be repeatedly brought active and dealt with.

Spiritomb: This is most controversial Pokemon in this list. I will let you in on my thought process. Charizard is a Stage 2 deck (obviously). Therefore, it is always going to have a very hard time keeping up with the SP decks and G-Dos. This card is the best way to slow them down just enough to have a shot at winning. The trainer lock early is very important along with the evolution acceleration. This is meant to be a sacrifice. It will not hurt your damage output because it will be knocked out.

Some match-up notes
    LostGar: I have actually had very good success against a straight LostGar build. I have only played this match-up about 10 times. I have won seven of them. Charizard can OHKO Gengar Prime. The key is to always have one Pokémon on your bench that is a basic. That way if they play Seeker you are only sending one Pokemon to the Lost Zone instead of a whole evolution line.

DiaglaChomp: This one comes down to forcing their Diagla G Lv.X active. If you can get the knockout on DGX then this game is easy sailing.

Machamp: This is as close to an auto-win as this deck has. Hitting for 130-150 per turn and having resistance is just too much for Machamp.

LuxChomp: If you can get set up (Ninetales, 2 Charizard, 1 Typhlosion) while only being down one prize card (two max), then you are in good shape. You need a decent amount of luck to get that quick set up.

G-Dos: This is as close to an auto-loss at there is. The Spiritomb start can help by limiting Junk Arm. Then if you could get 2-3 Charizards set up, you might have a fighting chance. However, don’t get your hopes up.

VileGar: This is a very close match-up. Charizard can OHKO virtually anything VileGar throws out there. Yet, getting through the trainer lock is difficult.

The T/S/S line needs to be cleaned up. I have played this line a couple times and each of the cards have been clutch for me at certain times. So, I need to objective advice to tighten it up. I could see the following cards dropped:
    -1 Fire Energy
    -1 Interviewer’s Questions
    -1 VS Seeker
    -2 PONT
    -1 Blaziken FB

P.S. I am trying to get some testing in for States. I am on several Himachi networks. However, most people are AFK on there. If you are going to be signed in, please play games. Some people need to get some practice in. In addition, I like to play on tradecardsonline. Check it out if you have not already. The servers can cause glitches in the game, but it is much more user friendly than Redshark and has card scans.

2. dragonfire

dragonfire New Member

Decklist:
    3-2-3 Charizard AR
    3-3 Ninetales HS
    2-2-2 Typhlosion Prime HS
    1 Blaziken FB

2 Bebe's Search
    3 Broken Time-Space
    2 Expert Belt
    1 Interviewer's Questions
    1 Luxury Ball
    3 Pokemon Collector
    3 Pokemon Communication
    2 Looker's Investigation
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Seeker
    1 Stark Mountain
    1 VS Seeker

14 Fire Energy-

3. Genguy

Genguy New Member

I think if your running Blaziken FB, You may as well run a Blaziken FB "Lv.X" Put it in exchange for a VS. Seeker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.