Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cheap, Yet Competitive Decks

Krusiv

What are some decks that are competitive and won't burn a hole in my pocket? I was thinking of doing Eeveelutions but the LV.Xes cost about $30-$30 a pop. I don't really have the money to blow on a few boxes either. I was thinking of trying something with Darkrai Lv.X, since I can get them for much cheaper than Leafeons/Glaceons. Any ideas?

This is another random question, but bare with me. There ARE basic darkness energies, right? I could've swore I heard some talk about them. What do they look like? I can't find any information on them.

Last edited:
Beedrills pretty cheap and will still be really good next season.
Except for the Claydols you can get almost everything for under a buck or right at a buck.
You may likely already have a lot of the trainers needed to (ie. all the balls, rare candy, Pokedex etc.)

If you wait till Legends Awakened, you could probably make a really cheap and competitive deck out of the Starmie's in that set

Tentacruel/Lanturn is a decent deck that won't cost you much.
Beedrill is pretty cheap too.
Maybe Empoleon,but not sure if it will be so good next format.
Some combos with Bronzong.

And be sure to have some claydols. I know he is pretty expensive, but he is SOOOOO goood

Empoleon is just a rare in Majestic Dawn. Combo that with another rare in the same set, Bronzong, and you have one of the most popular decks at this year's National Championship. There are going to be expensive staples regardless of the deck you run, though.

Claydol's might be worth buying depending on your play style (competitive or fun/league). Only because it's pretty much in every deck out there, and you really only need 2. Leafeon, Glaceon, Garchomp, and AMU Lv. X's are the ones that will run your bill up, however there are some good cards out there that are cheap and can be competitive aside from those.

Blaziken (GE)
Blissey (MT)
Infernape (MD)
Empoleon (MD)
Torterra (DP/MD)
Beedrill (GE)
Bronzong (MD)
Togekiss (GE)

Those are just some off the top of my head that are fairly cheap and can be competitive. Hope it works out for you GL!

A
deck like the professor cup winner's deck Donphan and Breloom

torterra is probably the cheapest and yet very much played in this format.
the lv x comes in a tin too.

Last edited:
Parasect-Venomoth

Banette-Blissey

Neither require expensive cards. Throw in 4 mom's kindness (some will argue that oak's visit is better), some bebe's, roseanne's research, and you're set!

There are indeed basic dark energies, just like there are basic metal energies. The only set they have been printed in as of now is DP. I had to go onto eBay to find the basic metal energies, and there were only ten available from one single seller. The dark/metal energies are out there, but just really frackin' hard to find. They look like typical basic energies, just what you'd expect them to look like.

Beedril is probably the best cheep deck out there. The day before nats I used a very simple list in the modified tourney, and went 6/2 with it beating several Empoleon and G&G. It's only going to get better next yr.

DarthPika - what's making Beedrill better with the next format? I can think of Azelf to get the prized Bees, lose of DRE/Scramble to slow down the competition...but what else. It loses master ball, great ball and Celio. I really like the deck and would like to play it if it is viable.

if u want a good deck just trade people @ league like i do i own some of the top decks & i only buy booster packs once every 2 weeks & its only 2 to 3 boosters i buy

DarthPika - what's making Beedrill better with the next format? I can think of Azelf to get the prized Bees, lose of DRE/Scramble to slow down the competition...but what else. It loses master ball, great ball and Celio. I really like the deck and would like to play it if it is viable.
Off the top of my head,

Poke Radar > Master Ball
Bebe's = Celio's

Bucks for the odd HP opponents
TM1 for setup without

Great ball is a loss but will be back.

You kinda just said why it will be better next year.
Azelf to get Beedrills/Weedles.
Slower pace game with loss of DRE/Scramble.
Psychic Lock not being as widespread (Psy Lock cripples the deck severely).
Poke-radar coming out which is a nice replacement for Great Ball/Master Ball.
Bebes being the PREFERABLE choice of search supporter anyway. Good Beedrill lists play Bebes because we already have Claydol so you just draw more cards with it.
Dusk Ball taking the place of Master Ball
Pokedex/Roseannes taking the place of Great Ball until it comes back.
TM-1 is also nice for faster setup, and better chance of T2 Donk.

AND being able to abuse Miasma Valley (the stadium that puts 2 damage counters on any non-psychic/grass basic that comes into play)

AND still being super fast AND hitting for up to 120 with 1 energy.

AND having a better form of Pluspower via Bucks Training.

It will be a good deck next format. A free retreat Pokemon that hits for 90-120 on average for 1 grass energy is pretty amazing in almost all aspects.

OH, and Gallade and Fire decks won't be as popular because of the Kingdra/Froslass threat and the fact that GG won't be as big next year.

So, with all that said, nearly all the threats of Beedrill this year will be gone.

Off the top of my head,

Poke Radar > Master Ball
Bebe's = Celio's

Bucks for the odd HP opponents
TM1 for setup without

Great ball is a loss but will be back.

Beat me to it. :tongue:

You kinda just said why it will be better next year.
Azelf to get Beedrills/Weedles.
Slower pace game with loss of DRE/Scramble.
Psychic Lock not being as widespread (Psy Lock cripples the deck severely).
Poke-radar coming out which is a nice replacement for Great Ball/Master Ball.
Bebes being the PREFERABLE choice of search supporter anyway. Good Beedrill lists play Bebes because we already have Claydol so you just draw more cards with it.
Dusk Ball taking the place of Master Ball
Pokedex/Roseannes taking the place of Great Ball until it comes back.
TM-1 is also nice for faster setup, and better chance of T2 Donk.

AND being able to abuse Miasma Valley (the stadium that puts 2 damage counters on any non-psychic/grass basic that comes into play)

AND still being super fast AND hitting for up to 120 with 1 energy.

AND having a better form of Pluspower via Bucks Training.

It will be a good deck next format. A free retreat Pokemon that hits for 90-120 on average for 1 grass energy is pretty amazing in almost all aspects.

OH, and Gallade and Fire decks won't be as popular because of the Kingdra/Froslass threat and the fact that GG won't be as big next year.

So, with all that said, nearly all the threats of Beedrill this year will be gone.

Don't forget Shaymin Lv.x. lol

150hp Beedrils FTW!!! :eek:

next season,the best cheap deck will be Froslass Spread,its only going to take a few holos,well the whole deck is holo but they will be cheap.

Back