Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Chicago CC Report

TSDMage

First, keep in mind I have a bad memory and don't remember the names of everyone I played, but I'll list names/nicknames to the best of my memory. If anyone recalls the games with me, be sure to introduce yourself!

After getting 4th at Cities last year and not doing much since then (Nats was a flop... that's what I get for trying a Flygon ex variant), I really wanted to do good. I was fickle about what to play. I heavily tested 3 decks I knew I'd choose between: Scizor, Skittles and Kingdra. Eventually I settled on a Kingdra/Cresselia build that I liked and decided to run with it.

Round 1: ??? - Starter deck.

Yep. I basically play against a guy who has a few starter decks slapped together in some strange theme. This brings back bad memories of Regionals were I was ridiculously unlucky playing Arithmetic against the same damn thing and lost to freakin' CACNEAS. Oh, well. I start with Baltoy and he starts with Treeko (UGH!) which slows things for a while but I eventually get Kingdra out and it's all good from there.

1-0

Round 2: ??? - Regigigas

I get a bad start, he starts with Regi and sets up lightning quick. Nothing I can do.

1-1

Round 3: Irvin - Magmortar

A local I personally play with and practically a friend, Irvin was testing out a Magmortat build. Seeing I had Kingdra I had the advantage. We both start out SLOOOOOW but he has Magmortar out for 3 turns before I even get a Kingdra. But soon instead of one I had 2 and there was nothing he could do.

2-1

Round 4: Matt Alvis - Kingdra

Alvis is here, but Ness, Alex and Moss are NOT. Interesting. So Alvis and I go at it with almost entirely the same deck. He has some tech stuff though. He goes first with a Mesprit start with no calls or other basic. My hand looks bad, but can possibly turn 2: Horsea, Rare Candy, Seadra, Pluspower, Water Energy x 3. I draw into Roseanne's. I go all in. Attach, play the Power, Roseanne's for Baltoy and Uxie, Uxie for 3, but no Kingdra. He sets up next turn and outplays me. Little I can do. Interesting, though.

2-2

Round 5: ??? - Steelix/Gliscor

An interesting deck I've never seen before. he starts with Jirachi and searches twice, but I get a donkey start and utilize Healers (MVP card of the day, you'll see why later) and spread quickly. Goes from somewhat tense to quickly over.

3-2

Round 6: Pooka - Dusknoir

Thanks you, Pooka for giving me the game of my life. This game made me a better player. The game starts with me donking Kingdra but he loads up a Dusknoir which he soon X's while I'm up 6-4. He utilizes the promo Dusknoir and keeps my Kingdra at bay. He make s agreat play but no killing a Claydol I have with 70 to deal damage to hit my benched Horsea for 20, which allows his other Dusknoir to kne shot Kingdra next turn which it does. The game goes back and forth with great plays on both ends, but him letting me keep the Claydol while waiting for an attempt to take multiple prizes in one turn burns as I rip PokeHealers and heal the 80 on my active Kingdra, which changes the game in my favor, preventing him from taking 2 prizes in one turn. I spread the damage perfectly the rest of the way and make a triumphant victory. Again, best game of my life.

Finishing record: 4-2

But...

Seeing as how Pooka was the only reputable player I beat, I missed top 8, but I got 14th out of maybe 50, finished with a respectable record (usually my bad luck prevents this regardless of how good my deck/play is) and most importantly maybe finally started becoming the smart player I've been trying to be but never could before. All in all, a great CC.

Yeah. Matt Alvis is poop :p

GJ on 4-2. Nice turn out for the event too. Seems like the standard metagame too. Kingdra and Dusknoir are pretty rampant these days.

Back