Chicago RS Challange

Discussion in 'Archive' started by bullados, Aug 25, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

OK, it's Bullados here again, with a write-up for the Chicago RS Challenge.

Not much to say about getting there, but I did have to rush from religious prayer to get there before 12:30, when the guy known as Aswierad gave me 2/3 of my team, Gardevoir and Wailord. After that, it was just waiting until they gave me my packs.

I opened up my first pack, and saw Mightyenna and a Dark Energy, and I'm going, YESSSSSSS!!! Guess what? No Poochy. Not one. But I did get some other lines, here was my deck:

Pokemon (15):
    2 Mudkip (1 of each)
    2 Marshtomp (1 of each)
    2 Swampert (1 of each)
    3 Electrike
    2 Manectric
    2 Zigzagoon
    1 Linoone
    1 Wailmer

Trainers (5):
    2 Energy Search
    2 Switch
    1 Potion

Energy (20):
    1 Rainbow
    6 Electric
    13 Water

I also had a 3-1 Lairon line, but no metals, so I left him in the binder.

My Game Boy team was as follows:

Blaziken @ Shell Bell
    Bulk Up
    Flamethrower
    Earthquake
    Sky Uppercut

Gardevoir @ Lum Berry
    Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Rest

Wailord @ Chesto Berry
    Rest
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Earthquake

Round 1 - TCG vs. Meganium45
    I faced Meganium45, and I forgot his actual name. I started out with the Bubble Mudkip, and he had four basics, including a Makuhita on the bench. I was thinking "Hariyama" all the way, and I was right. I don't remember how the first couple of turns went, but I do know that Mudkip got heads 4-5 straight times, enough time to get a Linoone up. I switched, and searched for 70 HP Marshtomp and 110 HP Swampert, and Linoone got KO'd next turn. I evolved to Marshtomp, and failed on the Bubble flip. Hariyama had 40 damage, and Marshtomp had 60 after his attack. I evolved and stomped that Hariyama, and managed to bench another Mudster. He sent up I think Sharpedo and did another 40 to Swampert, and I evolved to Marshtomp, with two energy, and I pulled the other Swampert. Sharpedo KO'd Swampert next turn, and I KO'd Sharpedo with the other Swampert. He sent up Linoone to stall, but he searched for a Chansey EX. I did my 50 to Linoone, he retreated for Chansey, and I used Water Shot, KOing the Linoone. I said GG, and got my four points.

1-0, 4 pts.

Round 2 - Game Boy vs. Aswierad

Yes, this is the guy who trained up half of my team. He knew exactly what I had, and I knew exactly what he had. We both started out with Gardevoir and Calm Minded for a few turns. He then got this crazy idea of switching for Salamance, and used Dragon Claw on Gardevoir. Dragon attacks are Special Attacks, and Calm Mind made the attack do virtually nil, only about 15 damage. I killed that thing with Psychic, he sent out the Gardevoir, which I dismantled with Thunderbolt over two turns. Then, a Walrein, which was easy bait for Thunderbolt. Result: a 3-0 trouncing of this guy. Remember him for later.

2-0, 6 pts.

Round 3 - Game Boy vs Yoshi1001

I don't remember who I faced for this round. I started with Gardevoir, and he with Starmie. I made the mistake of attacking with Thunderbolt on the first turn. I should have used Calm Mind to the Max, then Rest and THEN Thunderbolt. Tbolt didn't KO the Starmie, and he surfed away half of my HP. I KO'd the Starmie the next turn, but the damage had already been done. He sent out Salamance, and KO'd Gardevoir with an Earthquake. I sent out Wailord, who used Ice Beam for the kill, and he sent out I think Manectric, who KO'd Wailord 1 shot. I then sent out Blaziken and, like an idiot, used Sky Uppercut, thinking that it was super effective against electric. It wasn't, and his Earthquake did me in. Result: 0-1, very close.

I just found out today that it was Yoshi1001. You lucked out, boy!!! It won't happen again!!!

2-1, 6 pts.

Round 4 - TCG vs. Will

This was kinda crazy. I mulliganed about 5 times while he built up, and then the judges did a deck check on us, and I'm thinking "Haaaaaaleluya". Next game, I got a Zigzagoon, and topdecked a Mudkip on my 2nd turn. Got out my Swampert, and it was all downhill from there for Will. It ended up being 3-0 for me. Remember this guy for later.

3-1, 10 pts.

Round 5 - Game Boy vs. Aswierad's brother

At this point, I was starting to think that my chances for winning this event were getting pretty good, since there were only 10 people there. As usual, I start out with Gardevoir. I don't remember much about this battle, but he won after beating my Blaze with an Earthquake. Result: 0-1, but not as close.

3-2, 10 pts.

Round 6 - Game Boy

Another crazy round. They first hand-paired, then computer paired, and I got paired with another person with 10 pts. after all that craziness. I don't remember everything about this fight, until the last two Pokemon. Wailord vs. Wailord. Mine was faster and had more HP, his had more defense. The only difference between the movesets was that he used Water Spout over Ice Beam. We started out trading Quake for Quake, with him using one Surf once, until we both used Rest and both used Chesto Berry. Then, we traded Quake for Quake again, until we both used Rest again, but this time, we both had to wait the turns out. When we woke up, I had three quakes to his five. I used my three, he used three, and he got a Critical Hit on the third one. I knew I should have used Rest there. I was doing about 70 damage for each Quake, and he was doing 60. I had about 110 or 120 HP left, and I didn't think about the critical hit. Loss, but only by the closest of margins, about 30 HP.

3-3, 10 pts.

That guy won first in our division. I then found out that I was tied with Will and Aswierad for 2nd with 10 pts., and I thought that I would have it won if they used the WOTC tiebreaker system of opp. match win percentage first. Will won 2nd, Aswierad won 3rd, and I got 4th. It wasn't until after I got into my car and was bout halfway home that I remembered something, and I'll give you the chance to remember it as well…

See it? I beat both of them, tied them for 2nd, and finished behind them. How does that happen?

Props:

~ Adam Vernola and SoSlowPoke for running a kool event, even if they screwed up on a couple of things…

~ Nintendo for the amazing prize support.

Slops:

~ The DCI reporter at Pastimes for that ruling.

~ Me for forgetting.

All in all, it was a good day. I got 22 packs for 15 bux, which ain't bad.

~Bullados
    ~~Bull23924@aol.com

2. ilc

ilc New Member

Btw if anyone is wondering, aswierad is me ;). Heh that is funny u beat both of us yet we got the medals, meh oh well, I'm just happy my brother avenged my very very very stupid mistake(I should of stuck with my gut and eq'ed at least >_<).
    ~ilc

3. soslowpoke

soslowpoke New Member

When was it that we screwed up? :confused: :confused:

4. ilc

ilc New Member

who knows, though I think he is referring to the medals ;)

5. bullados

that's referring to the deck check in the 4th round, even though it worked to my advantage; the pairings fiasco in the 6th round, which worked to my disadvantage; and the eventual choice of a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place, even though I know that wasn't your choice.

6. soslowpoke

soslowpoke New Member

Nor were any of the others, please do not place the blame on us for that. We did not do the pairings, we did not initiate the deck checks, we did not figure out tiebreakers.

7. bullados

OK, my bad on that. I just remember hearing that you hand-paired the 6th round at first (or maybe it was the DCI reporter that did that), and then it was computer generated. I get a little annoyed when things don't run as smoothly or as quickly as I expect. Sry bout that.

8. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Um, I had Starmie, Cradidly, and Camerupt.

9. bullados

I wrote this thing about 3 hrs after the event ended, and I should have stated that in tie first place. I think that those last 2 were from another battle, most likely the 5th round. If you remember, could you tell me how our battle went? Thx.

10. Ice'Cold

Ice'Cold Active Member

Just a restatement of what Soslowpoke said. At no point was a DCI reporter used due to the fast that the point system was all messed up.

11. bullados

When I said DCI Reporter, I ment that you used the guy who usually does the DCI Reporter for Pastimes. You used both him and a computer to pair that last round, which, I have to say, was pretty hectic as far as the pairings go.