Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cloud Nine ability and Weather

Prime

Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host
I have a Psyduck with the Cloud Nine ability. Every time I send him out to battle, I see the message:

The effects of weather disappeared.

This puzzled me because no Pokemon had used a weather attack.

Does battle automatically start with a specific weather state? Or does weather only happen when one of these attacks are used?

I know in the desert, it has an automatic sandstorm effect, which I guess Psyduck would remove upon entry, but for the average grassy field, is there a standard weather effect?

All it does is nullify the effects of weather WHILE that Pokemon in play. It is just one of those abilities the declares it self automatically upon entering battle, like Mold Breaker or Pressure.

There is a default "no weather state", which the battle starts out in, but Cloud Nine doesn't change it.

Last edited:
I have a Psyduck with the Cloud Nine ability. Every time I send him out to battle, I see the message:

The effects of weather disappeared.

This puzzled me because no Pokemon had used a weather attack.

Think of it as the Cloud Nine Pokemon has removed all effects weather could possibly have... whether or not those effects are in place.

That way, if someone uses Sunny Day or Rain Dance, it makes sense that these moves go through. The weather can still be created. But Cloud Nine has removed the effects.

Just to be clear, it only removes the effects. It does not remove the weather itself. If the Cloud Nine Pokemon switches out or is KO'd, the weather effects will come back.

So essentially if I use sunny day, basically nothing happens?
Fire's power doesn't increase and I can't use Solarbeam every turn?

No, the weather would become Sunny (and replace whatever weather was there before). The weather won't do anything else until the Cloud Nine Pokemon switches out or is KO'd. Once they are not longer an active Pokemon, Fire moves will be powered up and SolarBeam will lose its charge without having to use Sunny Day again.

Back