Colorado Springs City Championship Report

Discussion in 'City Championships' started by SteveP, Feb 21, 2004.

1. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

We had at total of 33 players at the Colorado Springs City Championship today. Ages were:

10-under: 7
    11-14: 14
    15-over: 12

The top decks were:

10-under
    1st - MukEX/RaichuEX
    2nd - Steelix/Sandslash

11-14:
    1st - Amphy/AmphyEX/Wobuffet/Xatu/Absol tech/bench support deck
    2nd - AmplyEX/Kid/Buzz speed deck

15-over:
    1st - Gardy/GardyEX/Wobuffet
    2nd - Gardy/GardyEX/Wobuffet
    (these two decks were almost identical. the main difference was the winner had 4 boosts and 2nd had only 3 boosts, just enough to make the 1st deck a bit faster.)

Other Notes:

- We did 4-round, best-of-3 match play for the 10-under
    - We did 5-round, best-of-3 match play for the 11-14 and 15-over
    - We separated the 3 age groups, so no one had to play outside their age group
    - Rounds were 45 minutes
    - 10-under and 15-over produced undefeated swiss-round champs
    - 11-14 swiss-rounds ended with 2 players tied for first who also tied in their swiss match, so instead of using the tiebreaker, we did a 1-match (best-of-3) playoff. The tiebreaker leader won the playoff match.
    - Thanks to the Lakewood CC Champs for volunteering to help staff instead of playing. Great sportsmanship guys!!!
    - Thanks to the PTO for providing an additional box of boosters for the staff support.
    - No Blaziken/something decks, but LOTS of water in the two younger groups. That's why the two Amphy decks rose to the top.
    - We used a freeware tournament software program I developed to run the tournament. We could actually PRINT!!!
    - Thanks to mysterioustrainer (Craig) for judging the 15-over so I didn't bias any rulings (my son was playing).

2. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

I swear I must have had a record breaker in rulings to answer. Thankfully the compendium never had to be summoned. Yes it was a fun time. If there was only more time, I would love to have the opportunty for some free-play battles or draw however we just had to keep things going in order to get done by 3pm, even then I was temped to pull out my sword and shield (if I had them) to keep the impatient Yu-gi-oh players out of the room before we were done.

Now only one City Championship remains. Which is in Littleton, CO. This Saturday (2/28) at Sports Cards Etc.

3. dld4a

dld4a Feature Writer

wow 5 rounds of 2/3 45 min each. must be nice I've been to 3 cc's, 1-5 round 30 min. 1game match, 1-5 round 25 min. 1 game match, and 1-6 round 25 min. 1 game match.

4. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

By giving adequete time for each round to have two/three game matches, we feel that the true winners for each match can be determined, also this allows more games played which allows for more fun to be had.

5. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Cool. What is the software? What did you write it in? Does it read/write the Nintendo format tourney files?