Comeback of a fogotten card?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by z-man, Jul 13, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. z-man

z-man New Member

I was looking through my binder once, and I noticed a card that I thought could screw with the metagame. Electivire X was origionally thought of as bad because it was completely reliant on your opponent's having tools and stadiums, and them attaching energies. Also since E-vire got crushed by GG at the time, it wasn't a great idea to use it. Now that empoleon is popular, I think this card could possibly make a comeback. The common empoleon player will usually play his/her cess to lockdown your stage 1 electivire's power early on. If you use 2-2-2 E-vire X, you will be able to 2HKO the empoleon without any worries. If they retreat, and they attach the 2 energies back you would leave them at 10 HP left which would be an easy kill. Against GG, they will toss down the Lake Boudary early to get more claydol draws (especially because they see you using E-vire). You can take advantage of that by doing 50, and then following up with the normal E-vire's attack for the hopeful kill.

That's just something to think about. ;)

2. garchompx12

garchompx12 New Member

loses horribly to plox

3. master of puppets

master of puppets New Member

Plox stopping you from using powers is what ruins Vire\'s chances at contending.
    50 a turn wouldn\'t be enough to shake up a GG player enough to be really worried about it. They also one shot you by flipping one prize to ko you.
    A smart player will see an Elecabuzz and realize \"My opponent is obviously playing Vire X, so I\'m not going to play any Stadiums or tools\".
    I could see Vire being played with Crystal Beach to bait your opponent into playing their own counter stadiums for you to then utilize with Vire X. And if they choose to not play a counter stadium (or windstorm) then they are left not being able to use their DRE/Scrambles and have to manually power everything up, taking 20 per energy attachment.
    But in the end 50 damage won\'t be enough to win you the game.

4. Banette EX

Banette EX New Member

PLOX will not play any stadiums and let Gallade take over. Some PLOX play Cyclone Energy for disruption,so then they cyclone you to something you dont wanna bring up. Against Empoleon,they will probabl cess lock or bronzong. They still will spread and such,but Vire X with DP Vire under it can handle Emp quite easliy since Vire plays PPs.

5. Taylor45

Taylor45 New Member

electivire lv.x is an amazing card
    what you guys are thinking is a solo electivire deck
    which would be dumb
    but he clearly says "2-2-2 Electivire LV.X"

which cannot be a solo deck
    but what to use it with is a difficult question..

6. z-man

z-man New Member

Yeah... taylor is right. E-vire on its own would be dumb. I was saying it could really work well against empoleon, and it could hold its own against plox. It would obviously need more support vs plox.

7. Banette EX

Banette EX New Member

E-Gon was one version that acceled energy fast and well,but PLOX destroyed such a heavy powered base deck.
    2-2-2 Vire X in a deck could only be something Lightning/which isnt many viable cards,I mean Vire/Leafy wouldnt be bad at all. Of course 1 DP/1 SW Vire. I think that could work but has to be teched to even the GG matchup.

8. G-Dog4377

G-Dog4377 New Member

I used a solo Electivire deck at States and Regionals. T8 the States, but only 32nd at Regionals. I didn't use Electivire Lv.X though, only 2 each of the DP and SW Electivires. I think Electivire Lv.X could be an excellent card next format with Dusknoir Lv.X, Bubble Coat, and other Stadiums. Definitely gives Kingdra a hard time.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  9. master of puppets

Its obvious that he didn\'t mean Vire by itself, but thats somewhat irrelevant because no matter what you play it with you will be VERY dependent on powers, and a deck that dependent on powers has a VERY low chance of beating Plox/GG.
    The only thing I can really think of that would let you use Vire effectively enough to compete with GG is Raichu. Just Electromagnetic Conduction until you have enough energy on the field that you can swarm Vires and Raichus while having Vire X there as your back up. If you get Ploxed DP Vire can OHKO it. They then proceed to KO you with Gallade, but then you can use your powers that turn to help you set yourself back up.

Now that I think of it, I remember that The Newman to my Jerry has played RaiVire since the combo was usable. And he actually won a cities with it, whereas the other top 3 decks were GG (not Plox based, however).
    With a very consistent and precise build Vire could possibly hold its own. But it would not be easy.
    You would also have to choose how you played the deck.
    Base it around the Vire X, giving you multiple turns where they can\'t touch you, while using disruption with Crystal Beach, or even ER2 so they have to RE-attach energy and take yet another 20 damage.
    Or play it based around the DP Vire being your main attacker with Raichu support/back up attacker with DRE to help get speedy KO\'s to stop GG from winning on time.
    Time called? DRE, Pluspower, ko, turn their long turns against them. The Raichu also has a pretty nice Donk factor with a turn two 60, which if the GG player doesn\'t have a keen set up, can turn the game greatly in your favor.

So with the earlier build you have a more disruptive build that would cause problems for GG and in the long run probably have a better chance of beating GG, and then you have the later build which will have a better chance of beating GG WITHIN the 30 minute time.
    Neither would really be a deck that COMPLETELY relies on powers, but given the opportunity to do so it gains a large step forward in that game.

Some food for thought.

10. G-Dog4377

G-Dog4377 New Member

I used the Raichu variant early in the season, but I didn't like that it relied on an attack to get the energy. I preferred Flygon δ, but now the story may have changed with the rise in popularity of Power disruption.

11. afstandopleren

afstandopleren New Member

With the format change, PLOX looses attack speed which can give Vire players an advantege.
    Besides, Vire DP can KO it in 2 turns without the LV.X.

There is only 1 card that I consider dangerous for :ppwer:, Glaceon LV.X.
    If someone can keep getting it back fast after going KO then your in for trouble.

12. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

I did some very preliminary testing of a Togekiss + Vire deck. It worked pretty well.

13. Dennis Hawk

Dennis Hawk New Member

Maybe Flyvire, with bigger emphasis on Flygon line (namely Flygon EX d) and thin Electivire line?

14. afstandopleren

afstandopleren New Member

^Sadly, that can't be played in the DP-On format.

15. Lil_Magma

Lil_Magma Member

Vire lvl.x is a good card but it isn't played with GG being so rampant but a good vire doesn't have that bad of a match against GG. back during cities I ran a straight Vire absol deck and won 3 cities 1 of which I played against Geoff S. (T2 at worlds 05) playing GG and beat him top 4. Then went on to beat another gg in top 2. A skilled player could plan everything precisely with a good electivire deck to make it so that GG always has to work fast and if they Psy lock you can OHKO Gardy. If they decide to use Gallade, you have Elevire lvlx to hit the Cess or just throw a castaway for a strength charm and ohko them anyway.

using Electivire as a tech might not be bad although you would want to use a 1-1-1 line and then you couldn't use Motor drive and the combo falls apart

~Michael~

16. dragonfire

dragonfire New Member

i use an electivire x and honch x deck

17. rsifpwns

rsifpwns New Member

Vire with the most obvious choice for Energy Accel,Leafeon Lv.X,focus more on the Leafy Line and Vire as a OHKO machine and energy boost for Leafy Xs V Dance attack(Vire SW/Motor Drivie)

18. zovan

zovan New Member

I personally used Vire along with Leafeon X, the MT Vire jumped energy onto itself for Leafeon X'x attack. In DP-On, its going to be useful.

19. master of puppets

In DP on Leaf/Vire (Ride the Lightning as I dubbed it a few months ago) will be good, but as of now in this Plox infested format it can't win. It's too dependent on powers.

20. kangaroo

kangaroo New Member

me and a friend played vire-gardy in battle roads, and didnt do too bad with it. he top cutted like 4 times in a row, and i won one battle roads.