Comet Holmes (17P) is visible world wide

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Absoltrainer, Oct 30, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Absoltrainer

Absoltrainer Active Member

Comet Holmes (17P) to be exact.

Full article here - http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/10775326.html

Well my friend told me about it earliar today, and I was told it was visable with the naked eye. My father and me; both astronomers, decided to go looking at about 9:00 P.M. Central. We went out into the backyard with my dad's computerized 8 inch Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. We searched the Peresus constellation area (as the star charts said) The lighting in out backyard is very bright. Out neighbors have a BRIGHT light and the city casts a light on the horizon( as most astronomers know that's a bad thing). BEcause of this there were few stars in the sky to use as a looking point, and to use to find the comet. However there was no cloud at all in the sky. As my dad searched the area with the general cooridantes we had, I took out some binoculars and scanned the area as well. After about 20 min. of searching I came across a Trianglular group of objects to the lower left of the Persious constellation.
    A bright star
    to the lower right of that star was a slighy dimmer star
    to the lower left of the bright star and left-across from the slighty dimmer star was what I saw as a white fuzzy blur.

I told my dad what I was seeing, and he dismissed it as a blurry star from the veiw of binoculars or a star-cluster. I kept telling him to look and he kept saying just a sec. Finally I conviced him to look and he did and he did one of those faces that an adult does when they are VERY AMAZED. He goes " OH...MY...GOD...I think you just found the comet. Please note again how poor our night vision is because of all the lights in our neighborhood. So I works with him and using the binocluars and telescope we were able to close in on the object. It turned out it WAS THE COMET. I was amazed that I had more or less blindly found it. We were high-fiving each other and laughing at te sheer chance we found it. The blur was the comet itself, the small white dot inside was the nucleus of the comet.

So that's how i found the comet with binoculars, now we knew where to look and could barley see it with our naked eye.

Holmes comet will be visable until March. If you want to look tonight then look towards the Persious Constellation and scan to the lower left area then move across to the left, you will see the triangle I was talking about. The lower left object is the comet. Tomarrow it will be in the same general area with a little bit movement but in the same general spot.

THIS COMET CAN BE SEEN WORLD WIDE

It will be in the same spot no matter where you are, so if you have a relativley dark area and some binocluars or a telascope, then check it out. It will get brighter in the next few weeks as well and it seems to be growing a tail.

Just thought this was a neat thing to share.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. Bolt

Bolt New Member

He made his way back to the stairs and sat down, remaining out of sight of Jesse and Joey.... He whistled quietly, "C'mere, Comet."

3. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

I hope I can see it tomarrow... Too many trees where I am right now....

4. Absoltrainer

Absoltrainer Active Member

Well if you can get into a semi-open field and get some binoculars, you 're set.

5. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

Shoot where I live i have 5 arcers of field and no light so I should be set tomarrow!

6. Gir

Gir New Member

I'll try to look for it this morning before the sun comes up. I'd really like to see it.