Comparison of Two Dragon Killers

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Dek, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Dek

Dek New Member

Alright, so after the CC was done, and I saw a post of someone asking about Skyridge Ditto. Then it hit me. That card would be rpetty useful against Dragons, now wouldn't it. What i decided to do was compare two possible candidates for Dragon killer: Skyridge Ditto and Sandstorm Zangoose.

First thing we should look at are the different stats that each card has...
    HP: Ditto=50, Zangoose=70
    Attacks: Ditto=1 w/Poke-Body, Zangoose=2 w/Poke-Body
    Retreat: Both of them have 1 (C) retreat
    Weakness: Both of them are weak to (F)
    Resistance: Both have no resistance

Now, we should look at speed and Effectivness...

With Ditto, thanks to its Poke-Body (Prismatic Body, i think), it can turn all BASIC Energies into whatever energy you want it to be. This is very effective when fighting Rayquazza ex, Dragonite ex, Flygon (Holo), or Salamence (Holo). Another thing that this Poke-Body is useful for is the fact that powering it up is much faster then Zangoose. In other words, you could attach 2 Energies to Ditto and KO a Rayquaza ex in no time. The only things you would have to worry about is the HP, which is a big deal in this time of the Pokemon Trading Card Game

With Zangoose, you are given the Poke-Body, Immunity (cannot be poisoned), Target Slash (Does extra damage when the Defending Pokemon is Seviper), and Super Slash (does extra damage when the Defending Pokemon is Evolved). Obviously, Zangooses potential is unlocked only in 2 ways: Its Poke-Body and certain Defending Pokemon. Only if you fight certain pokemon will you be able to unlock its potential. Against Rayquaza ex, Blaziken, Ampharos, and a few other evolved Pokemon, it might take a while to Knock them out.

So lets put it like this. Out of overal effectivness, it seems as though Ditto might have a chance in E-on. Agree? Disagree? Or can you think of other cards that can bring dragons down in no time?

2. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

I think Zangoose is best if you just look at the Dragons. It is inferior against Rayquaza, but better against Salamence and Flygon (*). Ditto is not enough of a threat to Salamence unless you can power it up instantly (i.e. Ampharos) because of the latter's GOW power.

That said, I do prefer Ditto and not just because Rayquaza is more common than the other two. They are both perfect against Shedinja, Zangoose is much better against Muk EX, but Ditto can be more useful against Gardevoir EX, Magneton, Espeon where the one-hit knockout is more likely.

Ditto is also an uncommon which you can get in a theme deck, much easier than getting a Zangoose holo!

The final reason I like Ditto is that it is a decent starter since odds are good that the opponent is starting with Dunsparce or (the best) Wynaut!

(*)
    I read the wording on Flygon (basic energy cards) such that you need three different basic energy cards on Ditto to do the necessary 60 damage. The fact that basic energy cards provides any kind of energy on Ditto doesn't change the underlying basic energy type.

3. bertrand

bertrand New Member

I never really thought about this thing.. it looked like a watered-down version of the fossil one.. but now that I tihnk about it, it's pretty good.

BTW, its a common, not an uncommon.

4. AbsolutelyNobody

AbsolutelyNobody New Member

I dont have any crystal shard so i use ditto. There aren't ANY archtype decks in my ares, so I wouldn't know how it fares. I will use ditto for the citycamps, though.

5. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

In a logical metagame Rayquaza should by far be the most played Dragon so I would use Ditto. Zangoose can't ohko Rayquaza so it isn't an advantage there. Rayquaza is the only Dragon that is good enough to tech directly against so Ditto or Crystal Shard. Crystal Shard is actually easier to tech I think and would help against all aforementioned Dragons. I would say Shard>Ditto>Zangoose.

6. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

I've posted how good both of cards are a loooooooooong time ago in my Omastar deck...both are good.

Ditto is better against Rayquaza. And Zangoose is better against Flygon and Salamence. It just depends what you're trying to counter...

~Jim Ferrell

7. Mob2099

Mob2099 New Member

crystal shard is the way to go. not only does it help against dragons but if you come up against some one that is resistance to you. and if you dont need it you can discard it if your using tv reporter or magnetons power. plus placing in 2 trainings i think is easier than placing in 2 basic pokemon that could disrept your combos.